Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Can’t believe i’m flying solo!!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nfernellie
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

This is all very scary & exciting at the same time, at the tender age of 37 and one small child later I have decided to jack my job in and buy an existing business ( a small giftware shop) without much due attention and care…well I have been looking for a suitable business to buy rather than having to start from scratch. But a business came up within my price range and as I knew the business pretty well I made an offer which was accepted. It has all happened very fast and people have told me i have rushed in and now i’m begining to doubt myself… How do you know you’ve done the right thing if you’ve never done it before??

Nell

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi nfernellie,
    Wow! What a story! Congratulations on your new business.

I’m sure there’ll be lots of people popping in to you offer you their support, encouragement and advice.

To kick off, here’s my own two cents worth: If you didn’t have an accountant look through all the financials of the business before you bought it, you certainly should now.

All the best, and welcome to Flying Solo.
    Jayne

Farid Zaki
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

Hi Nell,

NEVER doubt yourself and NEVER look back, you cannot change yesterday but you can change from today. THINK POSITIVE, KEEP FOCUSED, DONOT LOOSE YOUR PASSION FOR THE BUSINESS.

Start by getting your business affairs in order, speak to your accountant, do a business plan, look at your financials, see where the business is today and plan how to grow and improve it.

Join a business networking group, stick around positive people, ask professionals, focus on building your business to prove all your doubters were WRONG.

Anonymous
    Up

Farid, your enthusiasm and passion is so inspirational, and would bring a smile and sense of determination to anyone I think.

Thanks for hanging out here – it’s great to have you on the boards!

Jayne and the FS Crew

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Nell

I agree with Farid

What’s done is done – so focus all your energy on growing your new business, using online and offline marketing tools to get customers in and be in control of your finances to name a few.

Best wishes for your venture and go in fully committed to the cause!

Janna

Anonymous
    Up

The accountants’ cheer squad is on fire here today! Janna, thanks for supporting our newbies. You’re awesome :)

Jayne

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

I’m sure we have all doubted ourselves at one point or another. Keep positive as others have said. Look forward and don’t look back. As Farid so rightly said you can’t change the past, but you can determine the future. This is a personal motto of mine that gets me through the tough times both personal and business.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Thats the way to do it Jump in the deep end, boots and all then learn how to swim.
    Hey have a chat with your accountant, you may even be pleasantly surprised.

nfernellie
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Thanks guys for all your support, means a lot to me :) I did check the financials before buying and have a meeting with my accountant who happens to be the vendor’s accountant as well, not sure if that is a good thing or not, is this conflict of interest??? I have done my business plan based on the vic gov business website and feeling very positive about it all, i reckon that’s half the battle being positive and having the energy and passion to make it a success? And if it dosn’t work out then i’ve only myself to blame and i pick myself up and start typing up that resume!!
    Cheers Nellie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.