Home – New Forums Starting your journey Car Detailing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mobile hair design
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

What do people think of buying an established mobile car detailing business thats not a franchise? there is one for sale for around $12000 including van and all materials in a suburb nearby. Is this a service people would really use?
    people thoughts appreciated
    cheers

rickerbh
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

If I were looking at this sort of business and I didn’t have the marketing power and dollars of an established, franchised brand behind me, I’d try and target the corporate market.

One thing that was quite common in the UK was for a car detailing service to have pre-set days, or half-days, where they would visit a large corporates HQ and offer detailing for the employees of the company. Employees get their cars cleaned while they are at work (no time out of their busy schedule), and the detailer has a very captive market. They also did this is supermarket car parks in the UK.

I haven’t worked for a corporate in AU, so I’m not sure if this sort of service exists here, but I know they don’t do this at my wife’s company in Melbourne, and I haven’t seen it at any supermarkets I’ve been to. And she would definitely use this service.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

Yep, like the corporate idea above. Most of the capital cities have those corporate parks that are kind of stuck out in the middle of nowhere, that would be a great market to target for something like this.

Even better (though I know this might not be in your budget to start), to have an online booking system where users can book their detailing ahead of time. Though probably more of an idea once you’ve established that corporate group is feasible.

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up
    mobile hair design, post: 125784 wrote:
    What do people think of buying an established mobile car detailing business thats not a franchise? there is one for sale for around $12000 including van and all materials in a suburb nearby. Is this a service people would really use?
    people thoughts appreciated
    cheers
    Why are you buying an existing business? Why not start from scratch? If you’re buying because you’re inexperienced, you should rethink, try working for wages as a detailer first so you can learn the tricks of the trade and discover whether you like the business. If you’re already an experienced detailer, examine closely the value of the assets you are purchasing, often they are overpriced (they are second-hand goods after all). Check the claimed client base, are those clients happy, will they stay with you? If the vendor is not prepared to reveal them to you; you should heavily discount their worth.
    Do a feasibility study and create a business plan before committing any money. Yes, these things are boring but they save a lot of heartache later.
    Have a look at our manual “How To Conduct Feasibility Studies” it’s written specifically for tourism related businesses but the principles are the same for any business.
    bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

If it comes with enough existing repeat business to make a living off, it’s a bargain. Many of us spent a lot more than $12,000 over several years to get our businesses to a point where we could make a decent living.

But if it came with that, I’d imaging they’d be selling it for a lot more.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.