Home – New Forums Other discussions Career advice for Mark Latham?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up
    ::

Hi All

I think we need to offer some support to poor Mark Latham who is clearly a very confused man.

In this, at times worrying and totally bizarre article on the topic of small business, written for Saturday’s Financial Review, he shares such pearls of wisdom as:

“Self-evidently, if the businesses were any good they wouldn’t be small. They would be big monstrous things with massive levels of profit, employment and economic grunt.”

And a couple of paragraphs later,

“Small businesses, in effect, are the garden gnomes of the modern economy – purely ornamental and totally dispensable.”

Nice one Mark. I wonder how many small businesses Mark comes into contact with in an average week and how difficult it must be for him to interact when he has such a dismissive view of their place in our society.

On behalf of the 1.8 million or so Australian solo and micro businesses, I am so grateful that this man doesn’t have his finger on any important buttons.

I’m a little worried too that his writing gigs will cease soon, as a quick trawl of Google suggests he can’t write much without upsetting swathes of people.

I wonder what the ideal career choice may be for a such a person. Any ideas?

Robert :)
    One of the FS Garden Gnomes

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

There are many who think this way.
    Several persons of the left has actually accused me of being wealthy because I was self employed. Unfortunately thats is not the case.
    It really is a pity some people open their mouths before putting brain in gear.

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

The forum guidelines prohibit me from coming off the leash and sharing my true opinion of this article and its author but suffice to say it is entirely ridiculous, insulting and surely a bid for attention from someone whose career has seen better days. 😡

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

There you go a good business idea, someone could sell garden gnomes with each soloist’s face painted on it

sam_leader, post: 214778, member: 3 wrote:
    The forum guidelines prohibit me from coming off the leash and sharing my true opinion of this article and its author but suffice to say it is entirely ridiculous, insulting and surely a bid for attention from someone whose career has seen better days. 😡
    LOL, Sam I didn’t respond because I was questioning if even the original post was in guidelines, and my response wouldn’t have been. But as it was posted by an Admin, I guessed it must be ok, you cant delete your own post
    Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Ha! Good pick up Bert, and you’re quite right, my post is clearly outside guidelines.

Happily our wonderful Editor, Kelly Exeter has come to my rescue and written this fine and balanced piece.

Feel free to pop over there and say what’s on your mind!

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Bert and all,
    Now there’s a new business idea!
    Yes, does have the potential to head down the ‘political’ discussions that we avoid in the guidelines, but it was impossible to resist a reply.
    All interesting stuff!
    Peter
    GardenGnomes-450x304.jpg

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Robert Gerrish, post: 214891, member: 5 wrote:
    Ha! Good pick up Bert, and you’re quite right, my post is clearly outside guidelines.

Happily our wonderful Editor, Kelly Exeter has come to my rescue and written this fine and balanced piece.

Feel free to pop over there and say what’s on your mind!

But Robert whats the old saying. The rules are there to be broken, so why not break them

Love all your guys work

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.