Home – New Forums Find the help you need Celebrity chef required for opening of shop!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Busy Working Mum
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

Hi

I am looking to open a new retail shop in regional Victoria and hit on the idea of how wonderful it might be to get a celebrity chef or maybe a former contestant from a cooking show to do my ‘grand opening’.

The shop is in the hospitality industry, so it would fit perfectly and would also get me good exposure in the local newspaper, along with lots of new potential customers (i hope!!).

Maybe someone who has written a cooking book or has a new product they wish to promote?

Has anyone else done something simular? Any pointers and i wonder how much it would cost and how i would go about it!? Does anyone know anyone who might be interested!!!?

Thanks!

erinna
    Participant
    • Total posts: 135
    Up

Does your shop have a specific interest or genre? Is it Italian, or using local produce only? Sweet, savory? Specializing in gluten free etc?

Once you’ve determined your specifics, then you could look at who might fit in with your interests. You dont want a sweet pastry chef visiting a butcher for example ;)

It terms of payment, or compensation, someone else might have a better idea – however, sometimes the best thing is just to ask the person themselves.

Do some research, read some foodie magazines. Also, foodie bloggers will probably also be a good resource for you. They will know whats happening in the industry, but also you could invite some of them to your opening for further exposure (good reason to have a website). :)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I think it’s a great idea.

Find out who you want, then contact their agent.

Be prepared to pay though!

Gavin_S
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

Just a thought…. Instead of looking for a well known celebrity why not get some local celebrities and promote the times that they will be in store over your opening week?
    This would be a great opportunity for you to network and set up some great links with other local businesses. Why not contact the top 3 or 4 restaurants in your region and ask if their head chef would like to come in for a meet and greet?
    Even better if you have the facilities for them to do a quick cooking demonstration, but if not then offer to let them bring some of their food as samples for your customers – it’s great exposure for the restaurants and it will really help pull people into your store.
    Good luck!

PaulThomas
    • Total posts: 76
    Up
    Charlotte King, post: 115743 wrote:
    Hi

I am looking to open a new retail shop in regional Victoria and hit on the idea of how wonderful it might be to get a celebrity chef or maybe a former contestant from a cooking show to do my ‘grand opening’.

The shop is in the hospitality industry, so it would fit perfectly and would also get me good exposure in the local newspaper, along with lots of new potential customers (i hope!!).

Maybe someone who has written a cooking book or has a new product they wish to promote?

Has anyone else done something simular? Any pointers and i wonder how much it would cost and how i would go about it!? Does anyone know anyone who might be interested!!!?

Thanks!

Hi Charlotte,

You could ask Thang Ngo, 2011 Junior Master Chef Guest Judge if he would be interested. I don’t think he has an agent so he may be the most cost effective. You can reach Thang at http://www.noodlies.com or – @ThangNgo on Twitter.

You could also check the rates for a local (well, Melbourne at least) celebrity with Markson Sparks! by contacting Juliette Russell or Margaux Nissen Gray in Sydney on 02 9213 2900. Tell them I sent you and to look after you. They will anyway!

Hope it pans out well for you.

Regards,
    Paul

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Funnily enough I was involved in a similar promotion which investigated the feasibility of using a known master chef contestant. Turned out that it cost too much money to have them appear. Now of course it depends on which celebrity you ask, but if memory serves correct it was about $10k or so. We opted against it.

I think a potentially better alternative is to get a well known local producer, like a farm producer or produce producer and have them come in to do a joint food/recipe informal presentation. They will then get a chance at cross sell and you will gain from their credibility which should rub off on your store.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.