Home – New Forums Other discussions Cert IV Training

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bluewoodstudio
    • Total posts: 233
    Up
    ::

I’m looking into doing the latest Cert IV (TAE) course online, as I have been offered some marking/tutoring work from a Graphic Design college, which is really exciting. :)

It seems as though there are lots of service providers offering it, and I would love to hear from anyone who has done it recently online and was was happy with the delivery of it?

I woudl also like to hear how long it took people to complete it, and from what I can tell it looks like it would cost around $1000. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Heidi :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Heidi,

We’ll put a shout out on social media for you and see whether we can rustle up any insights.

Stay tuned!
    Jayne

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

I did the Cert III recently. I hated the experience as I really prefer a classroom situation where I can hear discussions. It was good in that I could do the modules when I liked and if you’re too busy to get to a classroom then that’s good.

It took me far too long, about six months. If I’d been a bit more focussed I could have done a module a week and done the whole thing in half the time. I haven’t signed up for Cert IV.

Good luck.

WiseUp
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi there

I completed the (then) TAA via distance education in 2009. At the time I was working Full Time, and my employer decided to also put me through a Diploma of Frontline Management… needless to say I was busy!

I went through SafeCity a Canberra based RTO http://www.openlearning.edu.au/TAE40110_Certificate.htm and found them to be very helpful.

It took me 12 months but I had so much on my plate. I think I could have done it much quicker if I just had one degree to focus on. I loved reading at my own pace, and being competency based (so essentially its competent or not competent, not graded like Uni), I sent in my assignments when I felt they were good enough, and got great feedback which helped me fill in the gaps.

My overall experience was positive, it suited me, my learning style and not wanting to spend weekends in a TAFE. The most challenging part was providing evidence of training and assessing, I did this with willing friends and staff members, but I must admit I put that off the longest!

I also used http://mrwed.edu.au/cert-iv-enrol.htm to upgrade to my TAE

Good luck and feel free to contact me with any other questions

Mary-Anne

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I have my Cert IV in Training for Design and did it through TAFE many years ago because I was teaching design at TAFE. If you have previous experience you do lesser hours. My course was excellent and was done on Saturdays face-to-face.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    bluewoodstudio, post: 126887 wrote:
    anyone who has done it recently online and was was happy with the delivery of it?

Online is tough, the delivery goes something like “here is the info, submit the work by x”
    IMO pay a bit extra and go to a classroom. BTW be sure to get TAE not TAA

Steve

Cheesy Peas
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi there,

First time forum poster, long time observer.

I completed a Cert IV TAE 3 weeks ago at a private college in Sydney. It was an intensive classroom based course and completed in 7 working days.

Good pace and quality teaching with some extra work required at home to complete – biggest element is the preparing and delivering of a training module in front of at least 3 adults (has to be filmed and submitted for assessment).

I’d certainly recommend it. Easiest way to find out more is to google cert iv tae, sydney and go from there. This particular college (called CBD) runs TAE courses every week – the price is about double what you mention – but time is money too….

Hope this helps.

Daniel

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Thanks Daniel, and welcome to the forum :)

I hope you enjoy being part of the gang here.

Nice to meet you,
    Jayne

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

My Wife is currently doing the new CERT IV in training through advance TAFE in Gippsland. It is full on as other FS have stated. Her program is 1 day a week in a class environment. It is not unusual to have to produce and deliver 2 – 3 assignments a week. Total weeks of course are 20. Cost $1600.00 but remember if you pass the government reimburses you $1000.00 (check criteria)

Hope this helps

Chris Poulios
    http://www.satisfaction-marketing.com.au
    http://www.webthreads.com.au

ImprovisAsian
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

May be a bit too late in replying, but I did mine via the HBA Learning Centres for around $1000 (can’t remember the exact figure even though it was in February this year) over an intensive 5 days. And when I say intensive, I mean I only slept around 15 hours over the 5 days, but I was juggling homework and other commitments.

And congrats on re: the graphic design college extending you a teaching role :)

I have still yet to get a reply back from RTOs saying “sure, we don’t mind that you’re starting out and have minimal experience..!” ;p

acrom
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

Hi Heidi

Did you end up finding an online provider for the Cert IV? If so, I’m interested to see how you are finding online learning. I enrolled and commenced a Cert IV online but found that the content was dull – pages and pages of writing with no interactivity. Considering that I’m a visual person and learner, I found it very difficult to find the motivation to do it. I ended up enrolling and completing the course face to face and found it much more engaging and motivating.

Paul

WW2010
    • Total posts: 104
    Up

Cert IV in Training and Assessing is a funny course. Its not what most people think its is. Its certainly a difficult course. Many get the idea that you can turn up for 5 or so days and get a ticket.

IMO that most certainly is not the case. Which is a good thing but still the marketing message by most providers is that you can walkout with a ticket come the end of 5-7days.

Id say anecdotally(Friend who trains TAE mentioned this number) that 85 percent of all ticket holders complete all the training in a 12 month period and not within “weeks” as one so often hears.

Only 5 percent compete it within 2weeks. Mate works at a very large national provider(7 years) and often complains about the marketing message his company puts out to the public.

Because people are in general very proud individuals its always rare to find a student who openly states that its taken them much longer than expected.

Little do they know they are the norm and not the exception. But thats something many TAE providers dont want people to know.

Getting a ticket in 2weeks sounds a lot sexier than getting one in 12months. Im yet to find a single person that actually enjoyed the course.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Im looking to upgrade my TAA to TAE within the next 6 months. About February – march actually.

If a training provider is willing to assist with the RPL process I’m open to receive contact.

Steve

Allied
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

This cert iv is a difficult course for anyone who has not already been involved in the training or teaching industry. Most people will comment how hard the course was and that they didn’t’ really understand it. I believe if you haven’t already been working in this industry you would be better off completing the course in a classroom situation. This is hard for a lot of people because they can’t take time away from their job to do this. If you undertake an online course it would be helpful to have someone in the industry that you could ask for assistance and share their experiences with you. Once you have completed the course and start work as a tutor you will be able to observe how the teacher is running the classes and what you have learnt in the course will start making sense to you.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I did Cert 1V at the age of 64. I enjoyed the experience as I had never taught before. What I did find was that after doing the course I understood how to write courses. I have since written three and Industry trainers have taken them up, as has the association I am connected with. When i get a little time I shall probably think about doing one for small business.

Although I havent sort to become a trainer within the industry, I can certainly use the knowledge for other than training.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.