Home Forums Logistics CHAFTA – China to Australia duty refund?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    The Cupcake Cartel
    • Total posts: 1

Hi all,

New to the forum here. I started importing from China last year and have brought in a couple of larger shipments via air. They all fall under the CHAFTA agreement and I have the Certificate of Origin (CO) from our manufacturer.

I paid all customs/duty/GST to FedEx. Im now looking to claim back the 5% duty and found it challenging finding the correct procedure. I contact the ABF and all I can find is the B653 Refund application form, which is very word heavy. The contact phone number for assistance was no use at all.

Does anyone have a sense of how to claim this back, I know its super common but cannot for the life of me find it. Id like to figure this out myself without using a FF just yet, but would be open to recommendations for a FF.

Regards

Callum

Dave – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 2,523

Welcome to the forums Callum!

I can’t help you out, but hopefully one of our members can point you in the right direction. :)

Good luck!
    Dave

Dash Freight
    Participant
    • Total posts: 89
    The Cupcake Cartel, post: 268799, member: 117226 wrote:
    Hi all,

New to the forum here. I started importing from China last year and have brought in a couple of larger shipments via air. They all fall under the CHAFTA agreement and I have the Certificate of Origin (CO) from our manufacturer.

I paid all customs/duty/GST to FedEx. Im now looking to claim back the 5% duty and found it challenging finding the correct procedure. I contact the ABF and all I can find is the B653 Refund application form, which is very word heavy. The contact phone number for assistance was no use at all.

Does anyone have a sense of how to claim this back, I know its super common but cannot for the life of me find it. Id like to figure this out myself without using a FF just yet, but would be open to recommendations for a FF.

Regards

Callum
    Hi Callum

Did you submit the COO to fedex before the shipment was collected?
    If so, Fedex should have lodged it as duty free and you should not have been charged the 5%.
    If Fedex made the mistake, they should be asked to chase the refund and reimburse you.

That said… they don’t often make that kind of mistake. Did you get the CHAFTA COO after the customs entry was lodged? then you need to do the legwork to claim the money bac from Australian Border Force , ABF.

You can hire a customs broker to claim it for you. Obviously they will charge for their time.

How much money is involved?
    You probably need to make a business decision on the money returned for the cost (time and money) to get it back.

Remember you would only get the duty back. The entry fee remains. The GST you claim back on your BAS

Remember you need to keep the customs entry for 7 years (that’s the calculation sheet Customs use to determine the charges)

When importing next time, have a good look at the HS Tariff codes as well. There may be some concessions anyway.

You should bundle these issues into your purchase agreement from the supplier. 1. tell me the HS codes of these products. 2. Will you supply a CHAFTA COO? will it cost extra?

Some suppliers will not or can not provide a CHAFTA COO. In these cases using FedEx or DHL becomes a problem. Then you need a freight agent who can arrange the CHAFTA for you.

I hope that helps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.