Home – New Forums Tech talk Change font on wordpress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BTD
    • Total posts: 40
    Up
    ::

Hi,

Can someone please look at my site http://www.behindthedoorwines.com.ai Is it easy enough for me to go in somewhere and change my font?

Thanks,

Sally

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

the fonts for the menus and the text etc, you should be able to change fairly straight forward

the behindthedoorwines.com.au header at the top looks like it may be an image, so you’d need to remake the image.

for the text within the page though,

what you need to edit is what’s called the StyleSheets.

style.IE6.css or similar files on yours by the look of it
    unfortunately, it’s not a quick, easy select-text-choose-from-dropdown like you’d get with wordpress
    within that stylesheetr, you’ve got lines of code like this:

Quote:
    .art-postcontent a
    {
    font-family: Georgia, “Times New Roman”, Times, Serif;
    text-decoration: underline;
    color: #AB1C28;

so you’d change the Font-family
    however -styles can be confusing.. and there’s a whole heap you’d have to edit… i wouldn’t recommend jumping blindly into it

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    BTD, post: 118467 wrote:
    Hi,

Can someone please look at my site http://www.behindthedoorwines.com.ai Is it easy enough for me to go in somewhere and change my font?

Thanks,

Sally

Hi Sally

The best way to do it is with a child theme.

The child theme inherits templates from a parent theme, ie: Twenty Ten the default WordPress theme. This is the preferred way so that when you upgrade WordPress itself, you don’t lose any changes to the way you’ve changed the theme. ie: Don’t make changes to the default theme files – create a child theme instead.

Create a new folder in your /wp-content/themes folder, say behindthedoorwines,
    and create a single file called style.css with the following content: (or whatever is relevant for your current theme – don’t just blindly copy the following!)

/*
    Theme Name: Twenty Ten Child
    Theme URI: http://wordpress.org/
    Description: Child 2010 theme for WordPress.
    Author: the WordPress team
    Template: twentyten
    Version: 1.3
    License: GNU General Public License
    License URI: license.txt
    Tags: black, blue, white, two-columns, fixed-width, custom-header, custom-background, threaded-comments, sticky-post, translation-ready, microformats, rtl-language-support, editor-style, custom-menu
    */

@import url(“../twentyten/style.css”);

@import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Fontdiner+Swanky);
    ====================================================

Ensure that the Template: line references your current theme.

See the @import lines next. The first just keeps all the current style stuff intact, and this new style.css file will override anything in the original.

The next lines (see my example) allow you to reference some new fonts from the Google Web Fonts – the website I’ve grabbed this from (one I developed this child theme for) uses the Fontdiner Swanky font, as you’ll see from the…
    @import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Fontdiner+Swanky);
    line.

Then, find all references throughout your parent style.css file, and replace references to the current font with the one from the child theme…. ie:

#access a {
    color: #91c945;
    display: block;
    line-height: 38px;
    padding: 0 10px;
    font-family: “Fontdiner Swanky”;
    /* text-decoration: none; */
    }

or wherever a font-family definition exists in the parent style.css file – just override it with the new font name.

Sounds terribly hard, but its not when you get the hang of it.

(Or you could just get Steve Davis to change it for you! :))

Cheers
    Brad

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Oops!

Forgot to add that once you’ve done all that, you need to go to your WordPress dashboard, select Appearance, and activate the child theme.

If it doesn’t appear in the list of themes to activate, ensure you’ve referenced the current theme with the Template: line, and try again.

:)

BTD
    • Total posts: 40
    Up
    bradzo, post: 118535 wrote:
    Oops!

Forgot to add that once you’ve done all that, you need to go to your WordPress dashboard, select Appearance, and activate the child theme.

If it doesn’t appear in the list of themes to activate, ensure you’ve referenced the current theme with the Template: line, and try again.

:)

Hi,
    Oh wow!! Thank you so much….but I think I might have to get someone to show me in person!!! I am not real techy and I see trouble ahead if I attempt it. I appreciate your help.

Sally

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.