Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Changing business name – opinion needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Benedict
    • Total posts: 144
    Up
    ::

Hi Helen

I’m in the leave it alone if is working for you camp.

If you are the direction and style setter and people are coming to you because of your directions and styles then why water that down?

Congrats on the minions. That is exactly what they are – minions. Do they deserve any more recognition than their pay and your treating them well so they choose to come back to you happy tomorrow morning? I think not. This is your show, so run it as that and everyone will be clear.

As for selling, well if you have sellable goodwill no-one will really care what the business is called. Woolworths didn’t get slowed down by the Dick (sniggger, snigger) on the front of Mr Smith’s store.

:)

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up
    Benedict, post: 6847 wrote:
    Congrats on the minions. That is exactly what they are – minions. Do they deserve any more recognition than their pay and your treating them well so they choose to come back to you happy tomorrow morning? I think not. This is your show, so run it as that and everyone will be clear.

Hi Helen

I had to leave the bit about the ‘minions’ in as it made me giggle. Anyway, I do agree with the spirit if not the letter as I wouldn’t have selected that term! It reminds me of a game in which the ‘minions’ sing, ‘It’s bad luck to be you!’

Ok, let’s get back on topic!

While it is good to be valued and included as an employee, at the end of the day, it is your show so I reckon you should keep the current name. After all, you are the ‘face’ of the company. What am I saying? You are the company!

Eventually, as with some big ad agencies and legal partnerships, you might go for initials, etc., but for now, it’s probably best to leave it as-is. From your post, it seems that you’re a really nice person who wants to look after people, but you have to look after your brand too and do what makes it the strongest.

Having said all that, if you’re still undecided, you could always buy up the domains/registrations for the *possibles*. It won’t cost you a lot (at least for the domains) and it’ll protect your IP, and simply give you more options, as you move forward.

Lucki
    • Total posts: 147
    Up

Hi Helen,

I think trading under your own name is great. Almost all the fashion designers do it very successfully Armani, DK. This is your company, your brand. Staff will come and go. It’s how you treat them during the course of their employment that will determine whether they’ll feel included and as part of a team.

The company name I feel has very little to do with staff inclusion, it’s the company policies that will determine this.

Build your company with great values and the clients and staff will follow.

Cheers

Lucki

gregpritchard.virtualcio
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

Helen,

Couple of things:

My thought at the moment is that with this expansion, I need to acknowledge the contribution of my two new staff, which isn’t achieved by continuing to trade under my own name.

You can acknowledge your staff in other ways than changing your business name. Firstly, if they are paid a good wage that is on the right side of the market average, then they are being rewarding according to human resource dynamics. Secondly, you can recognise their contribution on projects and with clients. This can be done as public thanks etc. Lastly here, have they asked for that level of contribution and recognition? Unless it becomes a sticking point in their desire to become staff members (and you choose to make that transition), then they are not necessarily entitled to influence the branding of the business.

The most important questions for me are: is it your business? are you ultimately responsible if it succeeds or fails? is client satisfaction your problem (even if your staff make a mistake)? have your staff built the client base and developed the business to the point it is now? will your staff have equity in the business and contribute to the strategic direction of the business as part owners?

Unless these questions are true; its your business. If your business is “Helen Bryen : Designer” then, in my mind, having staff shouldn’t change that.

JagO1213
    • Total posts: 27
    Up
    Helen B, post: 6691 wrote:
    I’m facing a situation at the moment where my business is expanding (hurray!) and I am bringing in two new staff as sub-contractors, with a view to offering them partime/fulltime positions in 12 months time.

Up until now I have traded under my own name:

Helen Bryen : Designer

Simple, does what is says on the tin :-)

My thought at the moment is that with this expansion, I need to acknowledge the contribution of my two new staff, which isn’t achieved by continuing to trade under my own name.

So, I guess at this stage I’m after your thoughts. Should I develop a new business name, or continue to trade on my name?

I have a solid client base who know me well, so I can’t see any issues as far as reputation goes – and the announcement of the staff could go hand in hand with the announcement of a name change.

Appreciate all your thoughts!

Helen.

Helen

I think you have a few good options already being put to you already…I personally like HB Design. It has a little of your identity in there but it is a brand name rather then a persons name.

Just out of curiosity what legal structure are you operating under. Once you creae a brand if you transfer it later it may trigger capital gains tax provisions, however there are roll over provisions builtin, however you might like to consider the long term. If you are currently as a sole trader, this may be the right time to move into a company structure…if you are already using a company then all that I have said about is irrelevant.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.