Home – New Forums Other discussions Changing clients specs, without telling them..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    erinna
    Participant
    • Total posts: 135
    Up
    ::

I just wanted some feedback…

Would you consider it acceptable to tell a client you can do a job as they’ve requested, and then, for whatever technical reason, alter the final output without consulting with the client first?

Thats what happened to me today – I received the final product, and its about 8mm too long, when I specifically asked for 45mm squares. They pulled the design to fit the longer size, stretching my logo design, and then tried to tell me they did it for reasons within their manufacturing (and I got the distinct impression they didnt “think I would understand”)… and apparently they rushed it through so I would get it “early” (except its within their standard work range so not really)..

But heres the thing – they never consulted me on making the changes. I cant be the only person who orders something a specific size and design, for a specific reason, and then expects to get what i ordered. If they had consulted me when they realised they needed to change something, we could’ve worked something out that suited me, and not wasted this time – which now puts me further back.

They are redoing them, but Im really not happy now. Their handling of this whole order has been below par for me. Hopefully the 2nd run is better, but I already know Im not using them again in the future.

*sigh*

Slight vent, so apologies… but this isnt standard business practice surely? Its certainly not good business practice.

Ytelco
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Seems to me that you’ve got every reason to vent… Never change anything without customer approval, even if there is a legitimate technical reason for it.

Good reason to get all the specs in writing before agreeing to any work.

erinna
    Participant
    • Total posts: 135
    Up

Im glad its not just me who thinks thats wrong! :)

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Stretching your logo (if it’s now out of proportion) is an absolute nogo and a misprint. You are absolutely right to get it re-done.

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Yup. If they produce an item with out a signed off proof then they are in the wrong. Reading between the lines it sounds like they were trying to do the right thing by you by getting the work to you as fast as possible. But really this is an elementary mistake. Which leads me to think the call was made by a junior to proceed. I shudder to think that the person in charge of production would have approved this without consulting you.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Astrid, post: 115774 wrote:
    Stretching your logo (if it’s now out of proportion) is an absolute nogo and a misprint. You are absolutely right to get it re-done.Agreed.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.