Home – New Forums Other discussions Changing property title into super

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DC_vic
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows about changing their principal place of residence (in Victoria), from their own name to their super.
    Eg. change from your own name (Dee Citizen) to Dee Citizen superfund is this allowed and does it attract stamp duty?
    Or does it have to be “Dee Citizen” to “Dee Citizen ATF for Citizen Family Trust.”

Thanks in advance
    DC

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Definitely a legal question and you will definitely be paying for the change, plus I am not sure that your principal place of residence can be owned by your super!!

Jason@Plumsale
    • Total posts: 155
    Up

You are not aloud to do this.. Super funds must not acquire properties from a related party of a member. They also can’t be rented to a related party of a member either.

DC_vic
    Up

Thanks MissSassy and Jason@Plumsale!

So property can’t be transferred into your super, what about those self manager super fund (smsf) I’ve heard about.. but know nothing about..
    or can property only be acquired under trustee name for a family trust…

Jason@Plumsale
    • Total posts: 155
    Up

I am no expert, I’d suggest you talk to a financial advisor.. Most will provide advise for free as they take fees out fro managing your smsf and the regulatory audits.

in simple terms yes the smsf purchases the property, how this is done will depend on how your smsf is structured and if your smsf is borrowing money for the purchase.

PRO
    • Total posts: 450
    Up

Highly regulated area.

Also need to consider that you may be up for full stamp duty as well, it is effectively a purchase by the SMSF of a related party property. I

DC_vic
    Up

Thanks Jason@Plumsale and PRO!

I’ve spoken to an accountant who says an investment property from my own name can be transferred to the SMSF.. but they are not sure whether I need to transfer the name on title to the smsf… the accountant thinks i can save on tax…

any thoughts?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi DC_vic,

Please bear in mind that this is a small business forum rather than an investment or financial advice forum.

We usually find that the investment advisors and other financial experts around here are only able to provide general advice in a forum environment, and that you need to consult someone for advice specific to your circumstances.

Best of luck with it,
    Jayne

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    DC_vic, post: 207622 wrote:
    Thanks Jason@Plumsale and PRO!

I’ve spoken to an accountant who says an investment property from my own name can be transferred to the SMSF.. but they are not sure whether I need to transfer the name on title to the smsf… the accountant thinks i can save on tax…

any thoughts?

I would be double checking on your accountants advise, you cant live, or use a property that is in you own super fund.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.