Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Charity Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SmartBizBlog
    • Total posts: 101
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys,

Yep, another review required. This time it might be a little off business topic, but there are some sharp eyes here, so I thought I would run this by you.

I volunteered my services to a charity that works in Ukraine (where my wife is from, and where I temporarily live). I originally set up a templated theme for WP, but it just didn’t scream “I want to donate”.

So, I decided to design my own site. I’m not a great designer, and to say I’m artistic would be a typo (the smart cookies will get this).

Here is my draft. I used twitter Bootstrap for the layout/elements.

http://playground.officefreeliving.com

What I need reviewed. Overall design, especially colour – I’m horrible with colours.

Does it make you want to donate? Obviously I will redo the copy (this is their copy, which is very friendly I must say).

What could be improved – what would make this look better, and less.. well, clumsy.

Am I being too harsh on myself; would you be happy releasing something like this to your clients?

NB: Only the front-page works. The rest are yet to be done – but the landing is the most important for a charity.

Cheers in advance.

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

Looks pretty good to me. Couple of points:

Try lining up the text for the top menu with either row of the logo text.

Similar with the text boxes at the bottom, try to get the text the same height per box.

I’m not keen on the ‘donate’ font, and either way, I’d probably swap the sizes of ‘donate’ and ‘money/phones/yourself’.

Also, with the three side ‘donate’ buttons, why the different colors? Try having them all one color.

Having four buttons with ‘donate’ is a bit confusing too. Maybe one ‘call to action’, something like ‘Help us now’, which goes to a page saying the different ways to donate? Just thinking out load.

The scroller is going to quick, hard to read the text.

And finally, if you want help with color themes, I always find Adobe’s free Kuler usefull…

Cheers

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

I like it too, I think you did very well on this.
    I didn’t notice the other points that Adrian brought up until he mentioned them. But now I see them I have to agree with him.

Steve

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Charity sites are hard to design.

Woo makes a nice template: http://demo.woothemes.com/?name=saving-grace

Good luck!

wickstim
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi Smartbizblog,
    I like it. I am on an iPad and can’t see a slider at all, are you using flash?

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

I think he’s taken the content down, perhaps to play with it some more?

SmartBizBlog
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Yeah, sorry guys – I ripped the guts out of it after I had z-index problems. Will hopefully have more to review shortly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.