Home – New Forums Money matters Chasing up a bad debt – any recommendations for debt collectors in Adelaide?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    ::

Sadly, for the first time, I have reach the point with a client where I am considering calling in a debt collector.

I’ve sent several emails asking the client to let me know if they need to set up a payment arrangement, or if there are any other issues which have prevented payment, but on the rare occasion my calls or emails are answered, I get vague responses that avoid the question.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a good debt collector in Adelaide, or any other suggestions?

Jen from Webtree
    Participant
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Maybe you’ve found a solution (I can see this was a week ago). Sadly some companies operate by paying only ‘he who shouts loudest’.

Keep calling and asking for the person in charge – call 10 times a day if you need to – be annoying enough and they will pay.

Recovery Russ
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

Hi Anna,

Before engaging a debt collector or solicitor I would recommend sending something in writing to your debtor asking for payment by a specific due date and telling them what you will do if payment is not made by that date, such as referring them to a debt collector / charging additional costs / affecting their credit rating etc (If your terms of trade allow for this) For additional impact you could even hand deliver this to them if that is a practical option.

You will need to be prepared to follow through on whatever it is that you have threatened or you will be giving your debtor the impression that you are all talk no action.

I definitely wouldn’t recommend calling them 10 times a day as that is likely to cause more problems than it solves. It would give your debtor cause to issue a complaint against you for harassment and is not at all efficient use of your time. At the very least it would destroy any chance of continuing a business relationship with this company after this matter has been settled.

I am based in Queensland but I have clients all over Australia, if you need any assistance or advice my website is in my signature or you can private message me.

Good Luck

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Thanks for your replies folks.

The matter was resolved, and although I did manage to find a very helpful agency, fortunately I never had to use them to enforce the payment.

I was very professional – kept everything in writing, offered reasonable payment options, advised if no response had been received within [X] days I would need to escalate debt collection proceedings. Eventually the client got in touch and the invoice was paid.

Just a shame it had to get to that point.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.