Home – New Forums Find the help you need Cheap website deal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    alan.donaldson
    • Total posts: 17
    Blue Jet
    • Total posts: 189
    Up
    ::

Is that for real? I would buy that deal just for fun :)

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    Blue Jet, post: 126253 wrote:
    Is that for real? I would buy that deal just for fun :)

Reading the fine print it uses “templates”; so not like it’s a great deal or anything lol

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

And you “have” to use their hosting after the first year, which is double the price of what it should be.

You’d be just as well off with a free site hosted on wordpress.com, without any costs.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I don’t really understand why this web company would think this is a good idea.

The only thing I can think of is that they’re betting that 20 companies won’t sign up for the deal (read the small print) so they don’t have to honour this.
    In exchange they get a bit of free advertising and a decent SEO link maybe?

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

My guess is they got really desperate for business and are trying anything to get their name out there. Isn’t that how most of these types of deals work, the businesses make a loss but people hear about them?

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Not sure why people are pooh poohing this marketing drive!.

For a business who want to get online and doesn’t have much cash, it looks like a great first step. And their work is not bad for the price.

Good on em. It’s a bloody hard and over saturated business and anything they can do to get ahead and separate themselves from others is worth trying.

They have sold 11 already :)

alan.donaldson
    Up

Its definately not worth their trouble short term, but long term they have 20 new clients who they can sell more value adding services to down the track, and they will tell their friends etc.

I agree with Matthew on this one, its a very over saturated market and I applaud their initiative.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 126307 wrote:
    Not sure why people are pooh poohing this marketing drive!.

For a business who want to get online and doesn’t have much cash, it looks like a great first step. And their work is not bad for the price.

Good on em. It’s a bloody hard and over saturated business and anything they can do to get ahead and separate themselves from others is worth trying.

They have sold 11 already :)

It’s because their marketing is kinda deceptive. Seriously…… who charges $995 for a templated site? No-one! They’re just trying to make out that the person is getting a GREAT deal and then hide the fact that it’s a template based site in their fine print as well as a bunch of other expenses.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

As much as cheap and nasty design makes me cringe; for a startup business, a $59 website could be fantastic, and there’s very little risk.

If it’s good – you’ve got a good website for $59, if it’s bad – you’ve lost $59.

As web/graphic designers, we’re gonna have to accept that there are people out there that sell stuff for ridiculously cheap prices, and they’re not going to go away. Having said that, there are plenty of people out there that are willing to pay a premium for a premium service, and they’re also not going to go away.

Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

According to their website the Deal is Over

Cheers
    Corey

alan.donaldson
    Up

Anyone who says they build websites for a living makes me cringe a little. Building websites these days is the realm of every man and his dog. Its kind of up there with a used car salesman.

I prefer to tell people I can create them an effective web presence …

A website is basically just a templated content management system with little thought to much else.

An effective web presence encompases issues such as information architecture, usability considerations, web standards, SEO, social networking, branding, marketing.

A $59 website is a start, but little more than a plot in cyberspace with little or no ‘findability factor’.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    Webfunk, post: 0 wrote:
    Agreed. As long as people realise that not all websites are created equal…

The sad thing is most people think they are, hence the “My cousins sisters nephew could do me a website for free” comments. Hell, I had one of those comments a couple months back when I was talking to a prospective client; I just cringed and gritted my teeth, really wasn’t worth trying to change someones mind that thinks that cheap.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.