Home – New Forums Logistics Cheapest Shipping Options ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Blknite
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    ::

Hi guys ,

As per my previous post , We are starting a small online business of children clothing . I want to know if I have to send a single kids shirt , what would be the cheapest option to send it within Australia ?

Using AUS POST parcel pack which AU$ 8.25 does not make sense to send something that cost around 10-15$.

Would appreciate suggestions;

Thanks

KidsActivitiesDelivered
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

Depending on where you are shipping from/to. If you are in a major metro area and are shipping within the same city, many couriers will do it cheaper.

However for Australia wide post the cheapest I have found for under 500 grams is the Click & Send system with Australia Post.

Blknite
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    KidsActivitiesDelivered, post: 190498 wrote:
    Depending on where you are shipping from/to. If you are in a major metro area and are shipping within the same city, many couriers will do it cheaper.

However for Australia wide post the cheapest I have found for under 500 grams is the Click & Send system with Australia Post.

Thanks for your reply.
    Items will be posted from Melbourne and will be going to within Melbourne/VIC and other states , depends from where customer is ordering from.

In case of click and send , how is that cheapest , Say if i buy 10+ pack of under 500gms satchels , they cost me $1.50 and than standard shipping is $8.00 , thats $9.50 , But If buy prepaid satchel from POST Shop , its $8.25 ?

EDIT : And any suggestions for couriers who will ship cheaper than AUS POST within Melb suburbs ? Thanks in adv.

KidsActivitiesDelivered
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

With Click & Send you use your own parcels/packaging. You could just wrap it in brown kraft paper and print off the label.

For me sending an A4 sized box under 500 g costs me $7.20 anywhere in Australia.

Ben_Oz
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

We are in the same position and have settled on the pre-paid satchels, mainly to keep things simple and know the postage costs upfront.

I know we lose a lot of orders because people want to purchase a $10 item and then see we charge $8 postage! But we have no other choice, the $8 charge barely covers the cost of posting most of our items, especially if we have to send something to Perth (we’re in NSW).

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Nothing productive to add other than the comment “good old Australia Post”… We just can’t compete with international not comparative domestic postage :(

Many many posts on this subject with the FS forums, it comes up about every 2 weeks or so (coincidentally as often as they increase rates lately LOL)

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

It may also be worth looking at some of the other courier options as you may be able to strike a deal with them if they are picking up several items.

I have used http://www.e-go.com.au in the past and they seem very affordable and very easy but you may still strike the issue you have described.

Perhaps someone else will come up with a better suggestion than Australia Post!

Neddywear
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Thanks, I just had a quick look at e-go, we’ve been trying to find a better option to aus post for our larger parcels, from what I just saw they seem good.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Neddywear, post: 190958 wrote:
    Thanks, I just had a quick look at e-go, we’ve been trying to find a better option to aus post for our larger parcels, from what I just saw they seem good.

When looking at shipping look at all the issues and not just the upfront delivery cost.

Your customer will often pay more if they are getting a better service.

Australia Post has announced that business post offices will be open Saturday and that they will deliver Saturday this is an improvement in customer service for online retail.

Most freight companies will change to re-deliver if no one is at home during delivery. The re-delivery cost can often be higher than the original cost. Some offer pick up from the depot but these are often in difficult locations to reach.

With Australia Post the parcel goes back to the closest post office.

So I know that many people have their gripe about Australia Post but look at the bigger picture.

John

Cody
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Is there a way to get around the re delivery cost? For example, if you don’t use signature required, would this still be an issue?

cokele
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

AusPost is still preferred among my customers because they can always pick up at closest post office. Their rates are getting higher each year and it would be better if you can get eparcel. But that requires min 1000 parcels each year.

We currently use Click and Send and hopefully to each that 1000 parcels to be entitled for eparcel.

Regarding the redelivery, I know TNT has a redelivery fee. Best way to get around this is to ATL “Authority to Leave”. But not all customers are okay with this option.

aaron.miller
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

To the op,
    I have no idea what a tshirt weighs but if its under 250g you can send it as a large letter for ~$2.

Re avoiding the redelivery fee, I avoid this with my courier (direct freight) by ticking the authority to leave option. I only do this though with existing trusted customers where the wholesale value of the order is relatively small.

Australia post are hopeless, I avoid using them as much as possible these days. I have lost count of the number of parcels they have delivered to the wrong address or damaged the item being delivered. I sell rolls of satin ribbon, its fairly thick ribbon, and the roll is packed inside a plastic bag inside the satchel. One customer recently emailed me a photo of his delivery. The satchel must have been dragged along the ground under a forklift. They had worn a hole thru the satchel, the plastic bag and several layers of the ribbon.

I now use direct freight for everything i send from our warehouse in Sydney to Melbourne, Brisbane, and from Newcastle down the coast to wollongong. For 1kg to metro areas i pay less than $9 and for 3kg its less than $10 for an overnight delivery. My average monthly bill with them is ~$3000
    I have used fastway in the past but found the driver who picked up from me to be unreliable and lost several parcels with them, even though they have automatic insurance it was impossible to claim it.

If you absolutely have to use australia post, use the satchels and buy 100 at a time, you get a decent discount.

Aaron

Qinnie(OzFairTrade)
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

I agree with Aaron that posting as a large letter could be the way to go, for single item sales. I bought some cardboard boxes with dimensions just under the specification for “letter”. It’s a sneaky but effective way of cutting down postage cost. Good luck!

vhit
    • Total posts: 70
    Up

I also agree with large letter :-) I bought some in bulk on eBay.

barneystoybox
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    namz, post: 190388 wrote:
    Hi guys ,

As per my previous post , We are starting a small online business of children clothing . I want to know if I have to send a single kids shirt , what would be the cheapest option to send it within Australia ?

Using AUS POST parcel pack which AU$ 8.25 does not make sense to send something that cost around 10-15$.

Would appreciate suggestions;

Thanks

You should be able to fit a single kids t-shirt into an auspost envelope and post as a letter. Make sure the thickness is less than 2cm and use the A5 size. up to 125g is 1.40, up to 250g is 2.10.

Buy 100 envelopes at a time and they are only 48c from the post office. No tracking included off course and no signature on delivery. We are still relatively new, but have sent over 1500 packages (both as parcels and letters) and have never had an item not delivered to the correct address and within the estimated delivery time.

gonna spend the next hour knocking on wood.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.