Home – New Forums Starting your journey Children’s Indoor Play Centre

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chrissy88
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi,
    My husband & I are considering opening our own indoor childrens play centre. We have looked into equipment and set up costs, but one thing I cannot find which I am hoping someone can help me with is what sort of qualifications we would require before we could open.

Our centre will include a cafe, so I am assuming we will need to do some kind of food service hygiene course? Is there any others that anyone can think of?

Is there a staff member per child ratio law?

Also, if there is anyone out there that has a play centre already in operation, can I ask, how do you go about things such as cleaning the ball pit balls etc?

Any advice I can get is greatly appreciated!!!

Chrissy. :)

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

ok – I’m confused, I thought burgo was male :confused:

I *think* Jazzah might have been looking at something similar, but try searching the forum, I may have the username incorrect

GRCounselling
    • Total posts: 26
    Up
    burgo, post: 81019 wrote:
    Hi,
    My husband & I are considering opening our own indoor childrens play centre. We have looked into equipment and set up costs, but one thing I cannot find which I am hoping someone can help me with is what sort of qualifications we would require before we could open.

Our centre will include a cafe, so I am assuming we will need to do some kind of food service hygiene course? Is there any others that anyone can think of?

Is there a staff member per child ratio law?

Also, if there is anyone out there that has a play centre already in operation, can I ask, how do you go about things such as cleaning the ball pit balls etc?

Any advice I can get is greatly appreciated!!!

Chrissy. :)

Hi Chrissy,

This is a great idea! I am sure there are lots of parents keen to bring their children to a nice supervised place to play,

Where do you want to open this centre?

Sorry cannot help with any specific advice, but wish you all the best with your new business!

Gabriel

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Chrissy!

I hope you find the answers to your questions soon. It does sound like a fun business to be in!

Thanks for joining the forum, and good luck for all your research!

flower-child, post: 81033 wrote:
    ok – I’m confused, I thought burgo was male :confused:

Flower-child, yes, I was confused for a moment there too! I hadn’t realised that the forum allowed people to have the same names, with the only difference being upper/lower case. I will ask Peter to check out whether there’s anything we can do to stop it happening in the future. But rest assured, Chrissy is her own person, and Burgo is still his unique and wonderful self!

Have a great day folks,
    Jayne

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi burgo,

Many years ago I worked in an indoor centre like the one you are describing that host kid’s parties, as well as ‘casual visits’.

I was quite young when I worked there so can’t comment too much on the legalities, and whether my employers were even meeting them but I can share some of things we did:

1. Equipment Cleaning

All equipment was cleaned after each party was finished (so could be a couple of times a day) as a relatively quick clean (sweep, mop, wipe down etc) and bathrooms/toilets properly cleaned after each one. At least once a week the play equipment and the ball pit was more thoroughly cleaned – balls removed, each one wiped all over and pit vacuumed out and cleaned; They had a jumping castle there as well, which we cleaned with a mop regularly.

The weekly clean was usually done after hours or after last party on a Saturday/Sunday, as some fairly heavy duty disinfectants/bleaches etc were used, so best not have kids (especially the tiny ones) crawling over it and licking it! – The centre I worked at had separate equipment for 2 years and under to help avoid any injuries/accidents with the older kids on the rest of the equipment.

2. Providing Food/Drink

Where I worked didn’t have a ‘cafe’ so to speak. We served tea/coffee etc to parents in the casual visits and provided the ‘party food’ when a party was booked (standard kids party food & drink). We did no actual cooking on site, purely reheating of party foods like sausage rolls, franks, party pies etc.
    I am not too sure whether there is a difference in terms of the requirements you would need to meet.

Working with the Kids

Whether legally required, I would recommend having a ‘working with children’ check done, simply because parents will obviously like to know that you have clear backgrounds and checks before being around their kids.

The centre I worked in, and others I have been too, all have signs that basically say parents are responsible for their children whilst there; that the business’s owners/employees are not there to supervise the children. If this is a similar format that you imagine, then there may not be a minimum no. of adults to kids requirements, as you are not ‘looking after them’.

If you visit http://www.business.gov.au/BusinessTopics/Registrationandlicences/pages/BusinessLicenceInformationServiceinyourstateorterritory.aspx you can select your location and search on any particular licenses and/or registrations that may apply to you in your business type and location.

In Victoria, if you will be producing food and similar, it appears you you will need food safety qualification and training, and some councils ask that you register your premises with them as ‘food’ supplying premises;

Hope the above helps. Good luck with it, I think it will be a lot of fun and great idea for a business :)

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/foodsafety/ – See this link for further info.

BellaBlue
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi,

There are a couple of these places locally to us, and having two small children I have made frequent use of them! One of these play centres is in a Westfield centre, the other is in a building of its own. Both of them have cafe areas, which are separate to the play things. They both also state as condition of entry, that parents are to be responsible for the supervision of their children at all times. The only exception to this was that my eldest went to a birthday party at one, and she was taken off with the other party-goers to play party games supervised by one of the employees. I was still on the premises though.

I am not sure about cleaning, but I know that one of the places has a ball pool for the younger children/babies, and that there is a kind of target game that the kids can throw the balls at, the balls get sucked in to a machine, and then reappear via an outlet a couple of minutes later, having been sanitised in some way (they are usually damp, so I guess that they pass through a sterilising solution of some sort).

Good luck with it! My children absolutely love going to these sort of places!

chrissy88
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions so far. I do intend to have a sign at the entrance stating that the children are the responsibly of the parent/carer, so hopefully that will make life a little easier.
    I have taken my children to these play centres many times before, but considering building one from scratch is proving a little daunting (but exciting at the same time!)
    Keep the ideas coming guys… it all helps.
    Thanks again,
    Chrissy.

Jazzah
    • Total posts: 193
    Up

Hi Chrissy,

What we are doing is a little bit different, we wont have play equipment or serve food to parents, we only host parties, no casual play times. BUT the planning requirements would be similar to what we require. Check the local council, you may need a planning permit for a place of assembly, which has car parking, toilet, disability access etc requirements. Be thorough about what they require and the process, it has nearly killed us!’

Cheers
    Jazzah

angela123
    • Total posts: 310
    Up

Not qualified to give advice, but just wanted to say that my daughters loved going to one of these centres when they were little. We went to a few birthday parties at the local one and they always had a great time. It even had a carousel inside!

cheers
    Angela

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.