Home – New Forums Logistics China to Australia Air Freight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bennygill
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    ::

What is the cheapest way for me to get China to Australia air shipping for my product samples?

I’m under the impression that TNT and DHL and FedEx etc need you to have a large account with them or else you get charged high rates.

What is the cheapest way for me to do this?

Maybe use a freight forwarder? Any specific companies you can recommend?

bennygill
    Up

Are couriers and air freight the same thing? What is cheaper?

newiy
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Benny,

I have flown samples through using DHL before and yes they are a bit on the expensive side. Recently, I have liased with Petermac from flying solo as well (haven’t used him yet though) but he seems to know his stuff and has got pretty decent rates as well. Do look him up and contact him! What product samples you bringing in if you don’t mind me asking? :) Good luck!

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

What is the cheapest way for me to get China to Australia air shipping for my product samples?

China Postal Service. Maybe not the best way, but the cheapest, which is what you asked for.

No, you don’t need large volumes to have an account with a courier, but the costs of doing small and infrequent deliveries can be on the high side.

A couple of options. It is likely your supplier in China already has a relationship with a courier or consolidator, who can often get rates a lot lower than you will be able to because of the volumes they do. Ask them, and they can add it to the costs if you think is reasonable.

Some of the couriers have extremely good rates out of China because of the massive amount of competition for services. I know we have recently shipped several small orders direct from the manufacturer using their relationship with DHL and FedEx to get rates much better than we can, and I get a good discount from Fedex as well.

I have also spoken with Petermac on here, who, while I have also not used his services, appears to be very knowledgeable in the air freight side of things.

And no, couriers and air freight are not the same thing. For smaller weight and dimension orders, using a courier is probably a cheaper option than using air freight which is more for more urgent and large quantity orders.

One final comment, cheapest isn’t always best and you really need to determine the service that is best suited to you rather than the one that costs a little less.

Cat – GLC
    • Total posts: 440
    Up

If you are looking at brining in small items both weight and size wise, have a chat to Petemac from Flying Solo and he will be able to give some good advice.

If you are looking at bringing in larger items via airfreight then a freight forwarder is the best person to speak to. I’m sure there are some good ones around ;)

Cheers

Cat :)

bennygill
    Up

Thanks for the tips guys! :)

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

I always thought shipping from HK/China was really cheap after seeing low cost items on ebay and the like with free postage from there…ie a $5 item with free shipping….

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up
    Craig_Longmuir, post: 199004 wrote:
    I always thought shipping from HK/China was really cheap after seeing low cost items on ebay and the like with free postage from there…ie a $5 item with free shipping….

Single item shipping is. A bunch of stuff I sell will cost $7.20 (500 gram parcel) to post to a customer but my suppliers can send it to them from China for about $1.

Importing 25kg of stuff via air is expensive though. The cheapest way is to get your supplier to arrange it with their own shipping agent. I regularly import about .3 to .5CBM via air and it only costs about $150 or so via DHL Express. If I was to book it from this end I’d be up for something like $500-$600 minimum.

Maclean

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.