Home – New Forums Starting your journey Choosing a target market

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    elig84
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    ::

Hi!

I’m still at the stage of whether to start or not to build my app.

The app is focused on helping the building industry such as town planners, architects etc. This is an industry where I have significant experience. However the app could also be applied for the legal profession because it essentially converts boring legislation into a more user-friendly format. There are around 600 town planners listed in NSW on yellow pages and around 10,000 lawyers listed.

My initial idea was to focus the app on the building industry, and later pivot to the legal profession. The idea behind this was to test the waters with a smaller target market. Given the app will be more scalable in the legal profession, I’m thinking of switching my strategy and focusing on legal profession first and then on the building industry.

To me the risk trying to target a smaller market is really high and I’m not sure whether it will even be worth all of the effort for just a small market.

What are your thoughts?

MichaelDigital
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

There are a lot of considerations when designing an ‘App’ – it is a very noisy space now that drag and drop application building platforms have become so available. Presumably you have some kind of insight into legalese and the capability to translate it into plain English – or is it an artificial intelligence based technology?

Whatever, I would be careful when presenting this – but if you are confident so be it – I think it is always best to be seen a specializing rather than trying to appeal to too many markets, and wind up not really being relevant to any. so the small market approach is what i would do, you can always scale it up once you see it gaining acceptance.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    elig84, post: 211226 wrote:
    . There are around 600 town planners listed in NSW on yellow pages and around 10,000 lawyers listed.

?

600 in NSW, ok so that means a similiar number in Victoria, so once your small market of NSW is completed, it shouldnt take many tweaks to make it Victoria relevant. I guess what I am saying is that it appears small, but without to much effort you have a second market ready to go.

And I guess similiar ideas for your larger market.

nikmaricic
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

I completely agree with Bert!

I believe it would be best target the market that you are most knowledgable in. This way it would be easier for you to market your app to them, as I’m sure you would already know potential avenues that you can take. Even if it is people to test a beta version of your app.

As with any industry professionals, they all talk. Start with NSW, then look at expanding your territorial reach. What you want to create is ‘sneezers’, i.e., people that will love your app so much that they will be walking advertisements. After you win over the builders market, you already have a leg to stand on and you may be better poised at targeting the legal industry. I’m sure that some of the users from within your builders target market would deal with legal professionals, so you automatically have the possibility of creating testimonials and case studies of how your app has helped the building industry.

Just because a market seems small, it doesn’t mean it isn’t worthwhile to pursue them. Its about how far your target market will sneeze

elig84
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

Thanks everyone for your fantastic comments! Back to the drawing board…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.