Home – New Forums Tech talk Choosing a website name

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steveo
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I am looking to start a website and want to make the name search engine rich, so to speak. I have 2 in mind, I’ve used the Google key word tool to find some average montly stats for both names, and to my surprise the one I thought would be less popular is in fact twice as popular as the other! What a great tool.

Both names contain very popular keywords so getting a good google ranking is going to be difficult, my question is, do I choose the less popular name (from google keyword stats point of view) as there will be less competition for the keywords compared with the other name? Or choose the most popular name due to double the amount of searches and therefore potentially more traffic?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve.

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

I don’t have answer to your question, but just make sure when using the keyword tool to use the EXACT match to get the correct count. :)

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

Hi Steve

There is no answer to this question without testing. Googles traffic data is highly inaccurate (surprisingly – it’s their data), and is only a preliminary guide. You must test with actual traffic.

Here is what I would do:

1) Register BOTH names, so you have them reserved, but just point one at the actual website.
    2) Set up an Adwords campaign using two separate adgroups with exact match keywords from the two domains
    3) Set some analytics goals such as a product sale, signup or whatever is appropriate for you and possibly a time-on-site or number of pages goal.
    4) Split test conversions on both Adgroups to see which gives the best return.

You will need to run this until you have significant data.

After all this, I think that having keywords in your domain name is going to become progressively less important. Giving someone first dibs on search rankings for their site, simply because they were the first to grab a keyword rich domain name is total rubbish. Google may be starting to realise this.

Steveo
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

Thanks guys,

Yeah I guess if the SEO of the site is optimised then the keywork content of the actual domain name is irrelevant.

Will register both anyway as we can’t decide between the two.

Cheers, Steve.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.