Home – New Forums Tech talk Choosing keywords for a product no one is actively looking for

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    KidsActivitiesDelivered
    • Total posts: 50
    Up
    ::

I am currently in the process of getting my website redesigned and now I need to go back to basics with SEO so I can improve the content.

However I have been avoiding this task a little bit as I just don’t know which keywords to target.

How do I find keywords for a product people don’t know exist? There are no other businesses in this age group (or with a science/educational based focus) within Australia. I am getting lots of word of mouth referrals which is wonderful, I just need people to get to my site organically and I think I will be alright!

The keywords I had earmarked are:

School holiday activities
    ‘birthday gift for x aged girl’,
    ‘rainy day activities
    ‘unique gift for boys/girls’

Problem is the first page results on Google are some big name players with big budgets. Plus I am reluctant to throw these terms into the content of my site where it really wouldn’t mesh well.

I had been targeting ‘Ancient Egypt activities’ and others relevant to the topics I offer, however I don’t think these will convert well – these terms would probably be searched for by teachers looking for classroom activities rather than what I offer.

If anyone could give me some advice I would be very appreciative.

Thank you :)

Sarah

Stephen Forde
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

Long tail keywords is what you should be looking for and specifically those at buying stage.

A local keyword strategy such as School Holiday Programs Mernda (expand on this)… will also help.

How do I find keywords for a product people don’t know exist?

Think about how your product is going to make their life better. What similar things are people searching for. How can you convince them that your option (that they haven’t thought of) is better than their initial thought.

KidsActivitiesDelivered
    • Total posts: 50
    Up
    Stephen Forde, post: 191871 wrote:
    Long tail keywords is what you should be looking for and specifically those at buying stage.

A local keyword strategy such as School Holiday Programs Mernda (expand on this)… will also help.

How do I find keywords for a product people don’t know exist?

Think about how your product is going to make their life better. What similar things are people searching for. How can you convince them that your option (that they haven’t thought of) is better than their initial thought.

Thank you :) Wouldn’t this idea be more for an AdWords campaign? Or would I alt-tag some of my images to these keywords?

This is what I am really struggling with, integrating these keywords which don’t have real relevance to my products.

Stephen Forde
    Up

Sure you could use them in your adwords campaign in your Ad copy. But that’s not what I am talking about.

You need to write compelling, descriptive web copy that not only describes your product but attracts clients who haven’t thought of a use for your product before.

Example

A client several years ago imported interactive projection devices. They were not known about here (Australia) at all.

My strategy was to write onsite copy targeting industries that might find his product useful. Such as libraries, schools, shopping centres etc We also considered other streams that were related like billboard advertising, branding excrcises etc (his product cost $15k each)

I am an SEO, so this stuff is obviously second nature to me.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Sarah,

I cant help you with your question, but just looking at your product i think it is a great idea, had my children been a couple of years younger I would subscribe, I know they would have liked them back than.

Bert

PS. Those tupperware containers can be fun

Stephen Forde
    Up

Perfect example bb1. Get the right audience to the site!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Who is your audience?

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    KidsActivitiesDelivered, post: 191861 wrote:
    I am currently in the process of getting my website redesigned and now I need to go back to basics with SEO so I can improve the content.

However I have been avoiding this task a little bit as I just don’t know which keywords to target.

How do I find keywords for a product people don’t know exist? There are no other businesses in this age group (or with a science/educational based focus) within Australia. I am getting lots of word of mouth referrals which is wonderful, I just need people to get to my site organically and I think I will be alright!

The keywords I had earmarked are:

School holiday activities
    ‘birthday gift for x aged girl’,
    ‘rainy day activities
    ‘unique gift for boys/girls’

Problem is the first page results on Google are some big name players with big budgets. Plus I am reluctant to throw these terms into the content of my site where it really wouldn’t mesh well.

I had been targeting ‘Ancient Egypt activities’ and others relevant to the topics I offer, however I don’t think these will convert well – these terms would probably be searched for by teachers looking for classroom activities rather than what I offer.

If anyone could give me some advice I would be very appreciative.

Thank you :)

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I think you might be approaching this from the wrong direction. I understand you want to end up on first page, of course. I have SEO analysis services, and I get this.

However, you’ve already got the answers right in front of you.

You are ‘getting lots of word of mouth referral’. There is your answer. Ask those people what problem they want to solve. DON’T ask them about keywords. When you do that people don’t give you a true answer.

I’d start looking at the volumes from combinations of what they tell you, and see where that leads.

Also, list your competitors and run a competitive keyword analysis on them, it is a great way to peek in and get ideas from them..

I can assist with an analysis and competitors report, it is usually about 15-20 pages, and really helpful to plan from then onwards.

Jenny

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Sarah,
    You are right, new concept services/products can’t attract a number of SE search types.

In these situations you should explore a combination of online information delivery systems. Eg:

With new products/services for Mum’s with young kids, use your “newness” factor and develop programs for them to be spread on the types of social media Mum’s use – Facebook, Pinterest and perhaps Twitter. Can you create a bunch of videos showing kids enjoying your products? Link them back to your website for the explanation of what they are using and to purchase them.

You probably will need to create website landing pages around your social media campaigns.

As well as social media programs, I would still recommend generic SE referrals.

Good advice on this from Stephen & Jenny.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Sarah,go into google keywords planner and start typing in a couple of action noun word that the kids will experience paying with your product.

Best fun in the back yard.
    What to do when you are board and restless
    Fund with your hands

That type of stuff. What emotions are you fulfilling?

Then the keywords search will give you a list of words that people are looking for. These information I generally used when writing an Adwords campaign but it can also be used in the body of your copy to describe what the children will experience when playing with your products.

Think emotions!

JohnW
    Up

Hi Sarah,
    The best SEO outcomes occur when SEO is built into the site design and structure.

If you think SEO is a function of targeting specific search phrases (keywords) after your site has been published, you are likely to find your site is the runt of the litter.

IMHO, web designer who offers effective SEO design & structure are very hard to find.

Good luck and regards,
    JohnW

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    JohnW, post: 192192 wrote:
    Hi Sarah,
    The best SEO outcomes occur when SEO is built into the site design and structure.

If you think SEO is a function of targeting specific search phrases (keywords) after your site has been published, you are likely to find your site is the runt of the litter.

IMHO, web designer who offers effective SEO design & structure are very hard to find.

Good luck and regards,
    JohnW

Very true.

Getting your site structure right from the outset is absolutely vital.

Here is the way in which I do it. It’s called card sorting and it works a treat.

http://www.worksmedia.com.au/seo/card-sorting-easily-create-excellent-site-structure/

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    JohnW, post: 192192 wrote:
    Hi Sarah,

Good luck and regards,
    JohnW

This is why we take longer to build a website. We start with a keyword analysis first to get an idea of how people might search/solve their problems. Then we build that into the URLs on the various pages as well as the content. So the client already has SEO headstart when the site is finished.

It is harder to go back and do it later – possible, but costs more.

Glad you raised it John.

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

Quite often you won’t know what keywords to target. This is where you need to let your users show you.

A way of doing this is by using the site search feature.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012264?hl=en&ref_topic=1031951

Once you start gathering and understanding the data, you can then make improvements to your site in order to capture potential search queries.

As well as improve your site to better promote the products etc that users are actively looking for.

JohnW
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 192203 wrote:
    Quite often you won’t know what keywords to target.
    Hi Sarah,
    Forget keywords! (Sorry for the difference of opinion JR.)

And, don’t worry about tools that usually spit out irrelevant and/or inaccurate numbers for them.

It’s not that hard…

Answer these questions about your business / products / services / target customers for a start:

1. What type of business are you?
    2. What categories of products / services do you offer?
    3. What specific products / services do you offer?
    4. What brands to you sell?
    5. What problems / solutions do you solve or offer?
    6. What applications for your product / service do you want to develop?
    7. Where are your potential customers?
    8. What types of customers do you want to attract?
    9. Can you provide examples, pictures, videos, case studies, for your product / service
    10. Why should someone buy from you?

Now write down the words associated with each question. It should go something like this example:

1. Business: Accountant, accounting services
    2. Services: Company tax returns, forensic accounting, auditing, etc.
    3. Not applicable
    4. Not applicable
    5. Improve clients’ bottom line profits, reduce operating costs, etc.
    6. Small to mid companies
    7. Clients in northern beaches and north shore of Sydney
    8. Not for profit organisations, educational institutions, small manufacturers
    9. Not-for-profit case study: How to minimize tax.
    10. (Not usually a SE referral generator.)

This example indicates you will want to target searches that include these words:

accountant(s), accounting, service(s)
    company, tax, returns, forensic, audit, auditing
    bottom, line, profit, operating, cost(s)
    north, northern, beaches, shore, Sydney
    not for profit, education, educational, institutions, schools, small, manufacturer(s)
    case, studies, minimize

This gives you about 30 words (not keywords) for which you want to score max. ranking points across your site.

SEs do NOT rank search phrases (keywords) they rank the individual words used in search phrases.

Now write answers to the original questions on separate pages.

Then, organise your site content as JR suggests.

As well as the pages of information you will need some transitional or navigation pages to help hold it all together.

If you implement your design and SEO effectively you will generate far more RELEVANT SE referrals with this SEO strategy than any keyword targeting ever did.

Who needs keywords? It is common sense and local knowledge that sets sites up for the best words and relevant traffic. If you target “frequently used keywords” you risk wasting a member of your staff’s time answering phone calls from non-customers. (I’ve seen it happen.)

IMHO, the term “keywords” was hyjacked by Google so that it could sell more adwords at higher prices.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.