Home – New Forums Tech talk Choosing the right web host

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Bobe
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

This is my first time posting here so I hope this is in the right place.

I’m looking around for a decent yet affordable hosting company for my new web design startup. A few factors have accrued, including of course cost, reliability, performance and location. Most Australian web hosts are far more expensive than those in the US, even though the exchange rate is just about 1:1 these days, but I understand that hosting the site locally can improve search engine results.

It isn’t possible to register .com.au domains through US hosting companies (I can’t use .com anyway since it’s taken) so my only option in that case would be to register the domain locally, through a service like Netregistry, and point it to either a new hosting package or one that I currently own. But that brings up a slew of questions, such as whether there are any ties with Netregistry or if I can create email addresses for the new domain on an existing hosting account.

The easier but pricier alternative is an Australian hosting company, and after looking at a few I’m leaning towards either Jumba or Panthur. Does anyone have any experience with either of these companies?

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

You can register the domain in Australia and point it to us servers no worries. Domain register doesn’t have to be the same company as the host.

The email stuff is done on the web host. Search ranking impact is negligible not worth worrying about. The only real advantage to hosting in Australia is local support and quicker load times. If you want to pay for that then host locally.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Bobe
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 159630 wrote:
    You can register the domain in Australia and point it to us servers no worries. Domain register doesn’t have to be the same company as the host.

The email stuff is done on the web host. Search ranking impact is negligible not worth worrying about. The only real advantage to hosting in Australia is local support and quicker load times. If you want to pay for that then host locally.

I know, but what I’m not sure about is, if I register the domain on Netregistry, do I have to also purchase the domain manager to be able to point it to the host (sounds like a stupid question, but I’d rather not assume anything)?

Also, if the existing hosting package is for the domain maindomain.com, and I add newdomain.com.au to that account, can I create @newdomain.com.au email addresses, generally speaking (standard Linux-based cPanel hosting)?

websitedesigner
    Up

It depends if the host allows add on domains but generally yes if it’s just for emails. Register the domain here, point the Nameservers to the host and sort the rest out with the host. You can ask them these questions before you sign up each host will have a different policy. The us based hosting companies are generally very generous compared the the aussie ones.

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    Bobe, post: 159628 wrote:
    those in the US, even though the exchange rate is just about 1:1 these days, but I understand that hosting the site locally can improve search engine results.

With regards to Google at least this isn’t true. If your website has a .com.au domain then Google will set the geographic target to Australia by default. Even if you have a .com (or some other TLD) you can use Google Webmaster tools to set your geographic target to Australia.

The primary reason to choose an Australian web-host is to improve response times for your visitors. It used to be argued that having local support was better too but my main web-host (US based) has 24 hour support and whenever I’ve spoken to them I’ve talked to someone in Brisbane!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Bobe,

Welcome to the forum.
    You are going to do webdesign, wouldnt it be a good idea to partner up with a white label registrar / host and offer registration / hosting yourself ?
    A more complete service offering to your customers might be beneficial. If you send them away and tell them to find hosting / registration themselves they may also find another designer on the path.

BTW server location doesnt affect g rank.

Steve

websitedesigner
    Up

If you are going to go with this option net logistics are good. That’s who I used to use.

Bobe
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 159694 wrote:
    Hi Bobe,

Welcome to the forum.
    You are going to do webdesign, wouldnt it be a good idea to partner up with a white label registrar / host and offer registration / hosting yourself ?
    A more complete service offering to your customers might be beneficial. If you send them away and tell them to find hosting / registration themselves they may also find another designer on the path.

BTW server location doesnt affect g rank.

Steve

It’s not exactly in our budget to sign up for a reseller account, as I imagine it would only be worth the monthly price if we had enough clients to cover the costs, which I realistically don’t expect at this point. But I wouldn’t exactly make them find the host themselves, I would offer to do all that work myself on their behalf.

In regards to the original question, I have contacted Netregistry and JustHost, my current host, and they assured me that what I proposed about buying the domain locally and adding it to an overseas host is fine.

Lucid Web Design
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

Hi Bobe,

Reseller hosting isn’t too expensive. Over the years I’ve mostly good experiences with the exception of one provider who poached my clients. I wasn’t happy & took my business elswhere. They thankfully went out of business not long after that.

I digress. You can pick up a reasonable US based reseller for around $20 per month. I’ve used arvixe.com and jaguarpc.com & found them to to be quite reliable. I experienced nothing but high quality service from both of them & would recommend them. I outgrew what they offered and now use a couple of virtual private servers through Linode. I can’t praise these guys highly enough but the world of VPS may not be for you. It means having to set up your own operating sysstem, web server, email, database etc.

There are hundreds of them out there to choose from. There are quite a few webhosting forums to choose from, but most of them in my opinion are glorified advertising forums. I’d recommend checking out webhostingtalk.com for more balanced opinions. It might also be worth checking whirlpool.net.au

The only disadavantage of US based hosting is the ping time. Pings to the west coast of the US are around 200 milliseconds compared to around 20 ms for Australian based servers. That should be too much of a problem for most business based websites. You can always add Cloudflare if you want.

Hope this helps

regards
    Derek

Steve – Adoria Photo
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

I suggest you take a look at VentraIP. I have an economyPlus cpanel hosting with them and it really is quite affordable and fast and very reliable.

Google for coupons before you signup. I got 75% off the first bill which isnt bad when you pre-pay for a 3 year hosting plan.

Cheers,
    Steve

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    I’m looking around for a decent yet affordable hosting company for my new web design startup. A few factors have accrued, including of course cost, reliability, performance and location. Most Australian web hosts are far more expensive than those in the US, even though the exchange rate is just about 1:1 these days, but I understand that hosting the site locally can improve search engine results.

If most of your website visitors are going to be people in Australia, I would have to recommend Australian web hosting since you will notice an improvement in website loading times compared to hosting in the US.

It isn’t possible to register .com.au domains through US hosting companies (I can’t use .com anyway since it’s taken) so my only option in that case would be to register the domain locally, through a service like Netregistry, and point it to either a new hosting package or one that I currently own. But that brings up a slew of questions, such as whether there are any ties with Netregistry or if I can create email addresses for the new domain on an existing hosting account.

GoDaddy are the only US hosting company that I know of registering .com.au, .net.au, .id.au and etc. Generally once the domain is registered, you will just need to set the nameservers on the domain. The email accounts would be created under your hosting account.

Cheers,
    Shaun

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    NetOrigin, post: 160747 wrote:
    If most of your website visitors are going to be people in Australia, I would have to recommend Australian web hosting since you will notice an improvement in website loading times compared to hosting in the US. Will they?
    martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

I can’t recommend Panthur enough. Great prices, great support, the back-end system is awesome. If you end up going with them, mention me and I might get something out of it :D

Cheers,

Martin

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

I’d go with Hostingoz.com, join there affiliate program and get 20% commission every month on every referral
    They run there own servers and have been around for 10 years.

Cost differences between USA and Australia are nothing to do with the dollar, its all about what bandwidth and data centre costs are in the 2 countries. Even in Australia Brisbane Data centre costs are cheaper than Sydney.

Cheers
    Ian

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    NetOrigin, post: 160747 wrote:
    GoDaddy are the only US hosting company that I know of registering .com.au, .net.au, .id.au and etc. Generally once the domain is registered, you will just need to set the nameservers on the domain. The email accounts would be created under your hosting account.
    namecheap.com

Stay away from godaddy if possible, horrendous customer service, horrendous control panel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.