Home – New Forums Tech talk Chrome takes IE’s crown

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    ::

http://www.sitepoint.com/browser-trends-june-2012/#fbid=cSsSMZCBs8r

Just glad IE no longer have it. Quite remarkable how Chrome has grown, I remember when it was at 1% haha

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 118430 wrote:
    Just glad IE no longer have it.

Why?

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 118442 wrote:
    Why?

Isn’t it obvious? lol

IE are always behind with things and always have the most compatibility issues and the less people that use it, the better.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 118906 wrote:
    Isn’t it obvious? lol

IE are always behind with things and always have the most compatibility issues and the less people that use it, the better.

Being a software vendor is a tricky thing. It’s a delicate balancing act. On one side you have a need to innovate and on the other you have a responsibility to your existing customer base.

Back when you were a hobby web developer (as per your website’s about page), I was selling large scale commercial development tools for web, desktop, midrange IBM servers etc.

Back then, Me$$ySoft were the young bucks while IBM were seen as slow and yesterday’s news. Today, they’re now the elder statesmen of IT while Google, Facebook, et. al. are seen as young, quick to market and vibrant.

In 15 years from now another new breed will have come along and today’s young lions will be buried under the weight of their own product catalog and the responsibility they are so desperately trying to garner today. And they too will move slowly and deliberately, as all those who’ve gone before them now do.

Applaud the demise of IE if you like, but one “evil empire” has been replaced by another and nothing has really changed.

Still, The King is Dead. Long live The King and all that.

GailH
    • Total posts: 217
    Up

Your mileage may differ …

Looking at my web stats for last month, and here’s what I see:

* IE ~40%
    * Firefox ~20%
    * Chrome ~20%
    * Safari ~10%
    * Mobile ~10%

When I compare things to this time last year, IE is pretty constant. My Chrome and Mobile numbers have been growing at the expense of Firefox.

Guess I’m going to have to continue to deal with IE’s quirks for some time to come! :)

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Pretty condescending post there Uncomplicating, I think Condor was simply pointing out that it’s better for web standards as IE have always lagged behind in that department.

I switched to Chrome myself about a year ago, never looked back.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 118945 wrote:
    Pretty condescending post there Uncomplicating, I think Condor was simply pointing out that it’s better for web standards as IE have always lagged behind in that department.

I switched to Chrome myself about a year ago, never looked back.

Condescending? It wasn’t meant that way, but then some people have thin skins I guess.

Speaking as someone with 15 years experience making/selling commercial software, I have a pretty dim view of IT industry standards. They’re typically the result of a set of luminaries getting together to define Utopian behaviour only to find that in reality, pragmatism and human frailty make them unenforceable and impractical.

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

I love Chrome! Best browser ever.

Marc D
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi,
    I,ve been doing this (IT) for a while too and I have to say I have never seen the ($upposed) problems with explorer. I use opera generally and when that won’t work through some compatability or non-recognition issue, I switch to ie and the problem goes away. I use ie exactly because everything in the ecosystem seems to just work seemlessly together. I did try chrome and the rest of my family seem to swear by it but I couldn’t get past the fact that every time I used my Gmail (constantly) I would find myself signed in and tracked by chrome. I hate the intrusion that seems to run so deep with anything Google. Its certainly not free and many, family included, seem unaware or don’t care how deep it goes. And I don’t have a woolies everyday rewards card for much the same reasons…..

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

I think the gripe’s come from different angles.

Front end developers tend to hate IE the most because they can see the costs and time associated with developing for it. Which…for those who’s drive is efficiency…is rather upsetting…

End user’s don’t know what it’s about nor will ever care…

…and tough dudes use Opera, and spurn website’s that don’t work on it…I am one of those and can’t understand why everyone else isn’t :)

Uncomplicating
    Up
    Marc D, post: 119354 wrote:
    Hi,
    I,ve been doing this (IT) for a while too and I have to say I have never seen the ($upposed) problems with explorer. I use opera generally and when that won’t work through some compatability or non-recognition issue, I switch to ie and the problem goes away. I use ie exactly because everything in the ecosystem seems to just work seemlessly together. I did try chrome and the rest of my family seem to swear by it but I couldn’t get past the fact that every time I used my Gmail (constantly) I would find myself signed in and tracked by chrome. I hate the intrusion that seems to run so deep with anything Google. Its certainly not free and many, family included, seem unaware or don’t care how deep it goes. And I don’t have a woolies everyday rewards card for much the same reasons…..

I’ve converted to Chrome because it’s just so fast compared to IE and Firefox. But as you say, it’s not free.

But then, what is?

Marc D
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 119366 wrote:
    I’ve converted to Chrome because it’s just so fast compared to IE and Firefox. But as you say, it’s not free.

But then, what is?

Very true…Is it that much faster? (genuine question) I am enduser and tend to judge from that point. As a big Xero user, would it improve my experience at all do you think?

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

When you’re talking JavaScript it is miles faster!

T J Madigan
    • Total posts: 255
    Up

From my perspective Chrome definitely uses less computer resources.
    Before Chrome (using I.E.) I was having to reboot my computer 3 or more times a day. Now using mainly Chrome I generally only have to reboot once (maybe twice) a day.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    T J Madigan, post: 119383 wrote:
    From my perspective Chrome definitely uses less computer resources.
    Before Chrome (using I.E.) I was having to reboot my computer 3 or more times a day. Now using mainly Chrome I generally only have to reboot once (maybe twice) a day.

I can’t being to imagine what you’re doing to your PC that you think you need to reboot so often.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.