Home – New Forums New here? Share your story City-chick with a Mission

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sl
    • Total posts: 63
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I have been working in the IT and recruitment industry for nearly 10 years. With the new addition to our family + a mortgage steered toward me launching my own business. Along with my partner we have started our new business – “Skill Placement Australia”

We are an Intern recruitment company helping fresh graduates kick start their career whilst assisting SME’s with cost effective staffing solutions as these internships are free.

Almost all high-flying companies such as IBM, Deloitte, Corporate Banks etc. recruit interns.

Ironically, those who could use them most — small businesses and medium sized companies — don’t.

If you’re a small business or a medium sized company, hiring interns could be the most cost-effective way to empower your business’s bottom line.

our website and logo is on the way and it has been scary but exciting experience. Without even a web presence, we have placed 4 graduates with couple of small businesses and it has been really succesful.

Our biggest challenge is building a clientele and I beleive this forum is a good way to start as we are looking for small to medium businesses.

I think this is a great forum for forming new alliances!

exstatic
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Welcome on board, a wealth of information.. and hopefully some leads can be found here!

Very exciting times for you now hey? Awesome news that you have already had success.. always promising in those early stages.

I would be interested to know how you are marketing yourself? Do you arrange appointments with business owners? Advertise in Magazines, Flyer drops?

The recruitment industry is a big ball park to play in.. so differentiating yourself from the big players wont be an easy task I am guessing?

siosism
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

That sounds like a fabulous idea! How do you determine whether the small to medium-sized business are worth providing interns for though?

Gordon Akman
    • Total posts: 229
    Up

This sounds like a great idea. New graduates are much better for businesses than I think many businesses realize. They have not been tarnished by poorly run companies or jaded by unpleasant work colleagues. In Australia they come fresh out of some of the best universities in the world with up to date skills.

If you do not charge the employer a fee who pays?

Sl
    Up
    exstatic, post: 29952 wrote:
    Welcome on board, a wealth of information.. and hopefully some leads can be found here!

Very exciting times for you now hey? Awesome news that you have already had success.. always promising in those early stages.

I would be interested to know how you are marketing yourself? Do you arrange appointments with business owners? Advertise in Magazines, Flyer drops?

The recruitment industry is a big ball park to play in.. so differentiating yourself from the big players wont be an easy task I am guessing?

Hi there,

Although this falls under “recruitment” what we do is helping graduates to get work experience so they can stand out from the rest in securing a n entry level position as you know completion for graduate/ entry level jobs are fierce and it always better to be able to list some professional experience in their resume as most of them are straight out of uni and have no experience in the real world!

Right now we are thinking of direct marketing, sending emails, cold calling, flyer drop off etc. Although cold calling and walking in to an office is something I am not very good at!

We got the previous employers through some contacts from couple of friends so it has been very easy.

I think if we can convey the benefits of having graduate interns for work placement programs in their company, it’s not going to be that hard.

How I am going to convince them is the next big question!!!! Do you have any ideas?

Sl
    Up
    siosism, post: 29972 wrote:
    That sounds like a fabulous idea! How do you determine whether the small to medium-sized business are worth providing interns for though?

Although this graduate trainee programs are huge in major companies, it’s getting popular amongst small to medium companies as well. This is not filling a position for an experienced bookkeeper or a web designer post but providing companies with extra resources where our graduates can help with book keeping duties, web graphic designing work giving them exposure to work culture and experience related to their field of study.
    For graduate work placement, size of the company does not matter. What matters regardless of the size of the company is whether they can provide graduates with work related to their field and provide some training. Both parties benefit from this program and it’s really helping young talents to kick start their career. Well, they all have to start somewhere right?

Few reasons why we thing graduates are good for SME’s:

1. Interns are extremely cost effective for any business.
    2. They’re likelier to bring outside-the-box methods.
    3. They bring the youthful enthusiasm needed in most companies.
    4. They’re ready to put their marks on the world.
    5. They’re excited and open to new ideas.
    6. They consume much less resources.

well thats all I can think right now :)

Sl
    Up
    Gordon Akman, post: 29981 wrote:
    This sounds like a great idea. New graduates are much better for businesses than I think many businesses realize. They have not been tarnished by poorly run companies or jaded by unpleasant work colleagues. In Australia they come fresh out of some of the best universities in the world with up to date skills.

If you do not charge the employer a fee who pays?

Thanks Gordan,

I am glad that you are one of those few people who has faith in “graduates”

I see you are in recruitment as well :) Well what we do is not exactly recruitment, just finding graduates companies to work for in their relevant field so they can gain some experience before starting their career.

I charge a small amount from graduates for finding a placement with a company for work experience program.

So any advice on how I should build my clientele or how I should approach SME’s and tell them this is all free, just give our graduates a chance to work with them?? :)

Sometimes when we say “graduates” companies back away although its free resources for them. I sometimes wish companies can have more faith in them as they bring lot of ideas, enthusiasm and creativity that an organization may not have :)

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

This sounds like a great idea!

The only issue I can see is that you won’t be looking at micro businesses like mine – for us, although a graduate would be free, the overhead of training them up only to have them move on in a (relatively) short time period would outweigh the benefits of their bright ideas. But I guess you would know what sort of size company you are looking to place graduates at, so best of luck!

Kathy

Sl
    Up
    PerfectNotes-Kathy, post: 30030 wrote:
    This sounds like a great idea!

The only issue I can see is that you won’t be looking at micro businesses like mine – for us, although a graduate would be free, the overhead of training them up only to have them move on in a (relatively) short time period would outweigh the benefits of their bright ideas. But I guess you would know what sort of size company you are looking to place graduates at, so best of luck!

Kathy

Kathy,

I know what you mean.. many companies will consider the ‘training’ and a having graduates for a short period of time as a disadvantage. Therefore we have introduced a ‘roll out’ prgrame which cater for permanent positions.

With our ‘ roll out’ programme where an undergraduate nears the end of a placement, another suitable graduate is identified and appointed. The current student will then trains his replacement for maximum continuity and performance, with minimal disruption or management input.

My first plcement was for a small company with just 2 employees.

But as you said this is not for everyone and its not going to be easy convincing.

Thanks alot for your input

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.