Home – New Forums Starting your journey Class 4 Food business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PhoenixPantry
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi there

We are a small food business and need some advice. We are packaging dry goods to sell on i.e flour, sugar, chocolate. We do not use dairy, nuts, or eggs.
    I have registered with Streatrader, but can not believe this is all I have to do. Do I need to be making my product from a registered kitchen or can I continue making them from my kitchen at home?
    We are selling our products at markets for now, but hope to get some interest from local cafes etc.,so want to make sure we are doing things correctly.
    Any help is appreciated!

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Phoenix Pantry.

There are a few things you will likely need to do – simply as a business, whether in the food industry or not – for example if you have not already done so:

Get an ABN
    Register a business name

How will you promote your business? If partially online, obtain a domain name and set up a website etc.

As to regulations for operating from your own kitchen – you probably will need to get a registration. My understanding of Streatrader is that it is for temporary/mobile food providers? In any event, your local council’s website should have information about the type of registration you need.

A useful (government) tool can be found at: https://ablis.business.gov.au/pages/home.aspx

This lets you search, based on your industry & location to see the various registrations and licenses you might need.

Also, one of the members here (http://www.myotherkitchen.com.au/) is well worth checking out. They provide assistance, support and services primarily to persons wishing to start up food businesses!

Hope this helps.

PhoenixPantry
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

HI thanks so much for that!

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Phoenix Pantry,

Just want to add a warm welcome to the forums from the Flying Solo team. :)

Best of luck with your business and I hope to see you around.

Dave

MYOK
    Participant
    • Total posts: 146
    Up

Some good points, Jacqui. Thanks for the recommendation!

JacquiPryor, post: 182327 wrote:
    Hi Phoenix Pantry.

There are a few things you will likely need to do – simply as a business, whether in the food industry or not – for example if you have not already done so:

Get an ABN
    Register a business name

How will you promote your business? If partially online, obtain a domain name and set up a website etc.

As to regulations for operating from your own kitchen – you probably will need to get a registration. My understanding of Streatrader is that it is for temporary/mobile food providers? In any event, your local council’s website should have information about the type of registration you need.

A useful (government) tool can be found at: https://ablis.business.gov.au/pages/home.aspx

This lets you search, based on your industry & location to see the various registrations and licenses you might need.

Also, one of the members here (http://www.myotherkitchen.com.au/) is well worth checking out. They provide assistance, support and services primarily to persons wishing to start up food businesses!

Hope this helps.

MYOK
    Participant
    • Total posts: 146
    Up

Hi there Cathy.

I’m sure you’ve found the Food Safety Classification Tool on the Department of Health website (HERE). Your local Council will be able to make the final determination of which Class business you are and provide you with more definitive information on the registration process and confirm whether it is just a Streatrader application.

As for selling into retailers, that will take time, patience and a thick skin! Just be courteous and make a time with the right person before turning up on the doorstep. Look at it from their point of view and tell them what your product will do for their business (or their customers). A “No” will often mean “Not right now”, so don’t be discouraged and follow up religiously.

Good luck!

PhoenixPantry, post: 182310 wrote:
    Hi there

We are a small food business and need some advice. We are packaging dry goods to sell on i.e flour, sugar, chocolate. We do not use dairy, nuts, or eggs.
    I have registered with Streatrader, but can not believe this is all I have to do. Do I need to be making my product from a registered kitchen or can I continue making them from my kitchen at home?
    We are selling our products at markets for now, but hope to get some interest from local cafes etc.,so want to make sure we are doing things correctly.
    Any help is appreciated!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.