Home – New Forums Money matters Class action to recoup bank fees

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alison_Coach_Psych
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

I hope this post is seen as informative and not self-serving. I have no interest in whether you check out this website or not, but it’s likely that at least some of us in the FS community might benefit from this.

Financial Redress, subsidiary to IMF, has launched a class action against the major banks to recover what they claim are illegal fees. ‘Exception Fees’, such as dishonoured cheque fees, or late payment fees, are classed as penalties but need to be proportional to the banks’ expenses(I’m not a financial guru, and simply paraphrasing from their website and emails). Many banks have charged $25, or more, in the past for circumstances that have cost them around $2.

I remember receiving 10 such fees in one month when I experienced a cash-flow problem with a business I owned in 2004. That cost the business $500 in the month ($50 per overdrawn fee) – little wonder I was overdrawn!!

If you have been charged at least one of these penalty fees in the last 6 years you may be eligible to join the class action. If you are interested in learning more, or finding out if your bank/previous bank is being targetted, check out financialredress dot com dot au.

Arnold Shields
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

There won’t be any quick money in that one, the litigation will run for years.

Alison_Coach_Psych
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

No doubt you are right Arnold.

Some reports suggest that Australians paid more than $1billion in exception fees in 2008 alone! The banks stand to lose a considerable amount, as do shareholders, so they are unlikely to simply hand over the cash.

Although, it’s worth noting that test cases have already been heard, which favoured the complainants, rather than the banks, ruling that the fees were illegal.

This has been all over the media in the last 24 hours. In the past 12 hours registrations have risen from less than 3,000 to over 10,000.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

The banks sould be hit with the super profits tax not the miners.

the banks have been ripping us off for years

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Call me cynical, but the winners are the lawyers and nobody else…

Banks ripping us off, well…there is competition isn’t there? Go to them….

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

That is exactly what I did. moved

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 38251 wrote:
    Call me cynical, but the winners are the lawyers and nobody else…

Banks ripping us off, well…there is competition isn’t there? Go to them….

I have to admit I feel similar to John.

I also believe this is another example of finding someone else to blame and not taking responsibility for ones own actions. We all know what the fees are when we open an account. If you don’t satisfy the criteria for the charge then you don’t get hit with it. If you don’t like the fees then find another bank.

Flame away !!! :-D

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.