Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Clawing Back… Can’t Keep Me Down🤔

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sparkles
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

9 years ago family law happened, lost everything, was briefly homeless. Worked hard to claw myself back into another business, this time, cleaning. Was on here under a different username, but I can’t remember the password and I’ve no access to the recovery email🤦‍♂️

Planet Sparkles has been going for almost 2 years now and things are so busy, I’ll probably die cleaning a bathroom somewhere🤔🙄. Happy thoughts 🤣🤣

I’ve made a point of providing a very high quality cleaning service and all my current clients have come by word of mouth. Demand is so high, I’m seeing burnout on the horizon if I don’t get some help onboard. Help, being either staff, or preferably, a working collaboration with a solo cleaner in a similar position who wants to move their business forward, but eventually take a step back from the front line.

I’m seeing an opportunity to take things to the next level but balancing fatherhood, life, and the labour intensive nature of keeping clients serviced is proving to be a major stumbling block without assistance.

So, I guess I’m here to seek advice and guidance, and possibly find a collaborator in crim…err…cleaning🤔

Suze English
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hello Sparkly one! What an interesting story – it really takes a lot of grit to come back from such hard times, so well done you. I hope some of our members can help you out with some top advice for taking your new biz to the next level.

On your username/login issue – if you’d like to try logging in on your older account, send me a DM with your old username and I can take a look into this for you. 🙂

Cheers,
    Suze

Content Producer Flying Solo
    Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,339
    Up

Hi @sparkles – it is great to hear that you have survived and thrived during the pandemic

The way I became a non-working part owner of a cleaning business, was that I bought and operated the business, developed an advertising channel that increased the number of recurring clients for the business, then a website with SEO that brought in even more business.

At that point, I took on a partner who bought an equity stake and worked in the business with me for a couple of years.

What attracted him the most was that I had a very cheap, efficient and effective way to grow the business and profits.

After a few years of working together, we took on a General Manager to oversee the day-to-day operations of the business and have been in that position for the last 4 and a half years.

We are now location and income independent.

There are lots of different ways to achieve your goals and all of them have there plusses and the minuses.

And they all have their risks too.

Please keep posting in this thread and so will I.

Cheers
    ~Paul

Hammertime44
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Sparkles

Such a motivating and inspiring story there , I’m into cleaning myself and know how hard it is to get your brand all up there and maintain that quality service.

Talk about been burnt out I have been there as I was in no position to trust anyone to provide the quality of service I provided as in our business you are only as good as your last job, that been said last year I bit the bullet and recruited a total of 10 people to help .As good as it sounded on paper or more turn over it had been a bit of a mixed bag , not a lot of people take pride in their work and standard and the headaches that come from unreliability, in short mate go for getting more people and possibly another business who’s in the same boat as you as long as the dedication to work is second to me one , all the best hope to hear how you go

Sparkles
    Participant
    Up

Interesting Paul. I can see that trajectory in the future. Right now though, I’m having trouble keeping up with the clients I have and am knocking back work. The main road block to growth is competent and reliable manpower, and finding someone with a similar drive to grow.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 21 hours ago by Sparkles.
    Sparkles
    Participant
    Up

Hammertime44,

Most of my customers came through word-of-mouth precisely because of the lack of quality of service provided by other cleaners. Developing systems is key, I think; like, how do you clean a bathroom, exactly, for example? Having the steps worked out can go a long way towards mitigating the risk of a shoddy job.

I’ve spoken to many other solo cleaners in the last 2 years. None seem to be interested in a collaboration. However, I’ve recently met one who is actually willing to at least have the conversation. I’ll see how it goes.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,339
    Up

Sparkles, you have a great story so far so let’s go, go, go!

Not to put a dampener on things, but to shine a light under a rock, the most obvious things that can go wrong in a loose collab, is that you are all give and they are all take.

For example, you give them jobs but you don’t get the same back. You give them a holiday but they are always too busy to take over from you. You work fast, they work slow etc.

One day, they can’t do all of the jobs so have to decide which one/s not to do.

They get so busy in their own right, they start handing yours back decreasing your capacity and creating emergency situations.

They don’t update you with the myriad details you need to know. They actively steal your customers going so far as to tell outright lies about you or sabotage your jobs.

And I haven’t yet talked about wearing your brand on their shirt yet…

Go through the list above and add more to it and think about each scenario and how you would handle it.

Let me know your broad thoughts about how the collab would work if you have the time.

Cheers
    ~Paul

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.