Home – New Forums Money matters Cleaning award

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Trusted1
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi my husband and I run a commercial cleaning business, we have been in the game for about 5 years but now need to take the plunge and get some help.

Looking at the Fair Work Cleaning Services Award 2010 for a casual cleaner and there is not a different rate if you are under 16 or 21, it is just a flat rate for everyone starting at $24.41 and going up to $27.34 after 6pm. This seems really high. We are looking to put on someone younger just to help to empty bins as this is a time consuming job but definitely not worth paying $27.34 especially for an unexperienced worker.

Can anyone help me to confirm that I have this right. Is there a way to get around it for a junior worker, I am sure McDonalds pays a lower rate for junior staff.

Looks like I will be spending my Sunday afternoon browsing these forums, so much useful information.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=106483]@Trusted1[/USER] . It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting today.

Determining the correct award is not always a cut and dried affair. For that reason, you are probably best to go straight to the proverbial horses mouth and pose your questions to Fair Work.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

the alternative is to have a subbie do this work for you.
    We also used to do cash in the hand for uni students, where by we would negotiate a price.
    But get the Fair Work rate and then decide.
    I used subbies for all commercial cleaning negotiated a price

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Burgo, post: 257072, member: 58 wrote:
    We also used to do cash in the hand for uni students, where by we would negotiate a price.

Just a note if considering going down this avenue, even if paying cash the employee is still entitled to receive full award rates and any other requirements of the award.

If this is meant as ”cash in hand” last time I checked it was against Australian taxation laws.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.