Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Cleaning Business – what to charge

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    cleaningyourway
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

Can someone with professional experience in the cleaning industry tell me how much I should be charging my clients for cleaning an Office on a regular basis?

My cleaners have commercial vacuum cleaners (Pac Vac), mop and chemicals. Can someone please tell me if I should be charging by the square meter or by the hour?

The business has many dealt with residential cleaning and I have had some customers inquiry about office cleaning…so I am unsure how to quote it.

Thank you
    Salina

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Salina,

I think an hourly rate would be the way to go. Square meterage doesn’t reflect the complexity of the clean, I’d rather clean a big office than my bathroom for instance!

Also be really clear about the extent of what’s expected, do you need to dust the chairs and cubicles for instance. A checklist can be the way to go here.

Good luck!

Sam

cleaningyourway
    Up

Thanks Sam,

What should be the hourly rate for an Office clean?

Regards,
    Salina

Trent Tran
    Participant
    • Total posts: 166
    Up

Hi salina
    Unless it is a one off job
    Commercial cleaning companies usually charge from $35 per hour with a monthly contract of $$$.

You do not have to tell them your
    rate, but your work scope what will be clean. On top of that toilet requisites are separate.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi Salina,

Charge by the job and Sam is spot on that the complexity of the space and customer requirements will determine how long the job will take – like a house, this can vary week to week so a set price makes it easy for business to budget and this is sometimes important.

The advice in this thread is good so far.

A key question to ask is how much they are paying at the moment – that is always a good point to start a negotiation.

Cheers

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 241064, member: 78928 wrote:
    A key question to ask is how much they are paying at the moment – that is always a good point to start a negotiation.

Cheers

In the start I asked this question, luckily I always ignore what they said, and still went for the number I thought the job was worth. I always found that they were paying well below what my opinion of the job it was worth.

Than as I got to know my competitors, and if I had picked up one of their old jobs, I would ask how much they were charge, and it was always more than the client suggested.

Don’t go into a negotiation believing the numbers offered.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    bb1, post: 241068, member: 53375 wrote:
    In the start I asked this question, luckily I always ignore what they said, and still went for the number I thought the job was worth. I always found that they were paying well below what my opinion of the job it was worth.

Than as I got to know my competitors, and if I had picked up one of their old jobs, I would ask how much they were charge, and it was always more than the client suggested.

The upside of asking is that you sometimes get a figure greater than the one in your head.

As well, in cleaning it can help you to figure out where the customer is at on pricing and/or what they value – this is especially so when someone feels let down as it is often a case that they would be willing to pay more for a better service.

J.Zkan
    • Total posts: 87
    Up

I was in the cleaning industry for 3 years ($320k gross p/a), one of the worst decisions of my life to be honest. A lot of head aches and clients are never happy no matter what you do, everyone wants something extra done for free (never do that)

You have other businesses under cutting their way just for a contract, little as $24 an hour, I’ve even seen $20 an hour. When i saw those figures, I dumped and never looked back.

But back to the point of your question, normally for an office contract I was charging $30 p/h with a time frame of 2.5 hours for 1 person, but usually it takes around 30-40 minutes to clean. Remember you know more than they do, throw it at them and if they decide it’s too much, just walk away. Don’t bother fighting for it, those clients will cause problems down the track.

Also just for anyone ever deciding to start a cleaning business, never ever go with a franchise. I was with a franchise before I started my own, they are the scum of the earth. Greedy little parasites.

cleaningyourway
    Up
    Grandawood, post: 241060, member: 66994 wrote:
    Hi salina
    Unless it is a one off job
    Commercial cleaning companies usually charge from $35 per hour with a monthly contract of $$$.

You do not have to tell them your
    rate, but your work scope what will be clean. On top of that toilet requisites are separate.
    Th

cleaningyourway
    Up

Hi Grandawood,

Thank you!!

cleaningyourway
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 241064, member: 78928 wrote:
    Hi Salina,

Charge by the job and Sam is spot on that the complexity of the space and customer requirements will determine how long the job will take – like a house, this can vary week to week so a set price makes it easy for business to budget and this is sometimes important.

The advice in this thread is good so far.

Cheers

cleaningyourway
    Up

Okay Paul,

I didn’t think of that.

Regards
    Salina

cleaningyourway
    Up
    bb1, post: 241068, member: 53375 wrote:

cleaningyourway
    Up

Okay good point for house cleaning prior to starting this business I did checkout competitors website and it seems to vary a lot. But I have not been able to find any on Office cleaning.
    Regards
    salina

cleaningyourway
    Up
    J.Zkan, post: 241244, member: 85132 wrote:
    I was in the cleaning industry for 3 years ($320k gross p/a), one of the worst decisions of my life to be honest. A lot of head aches and clients are never happy no matter what you do, everyone wants something extra done for free (never do that)

You have other businesses under cutting their way just for a contract, little as $24 an hour, I’ve even seen $20 an hour. When i saw those figures, I dumped and never looked back.

But back to the point of your question, normally for an office contract I was charging $30 p/h with a time frame of 2.5 hours for 1 person, but usually it takes around 30-40 minutes to clean. Remember you know more than they do, throw it at them and if they decide it’s too much, just walk away. Don’t bother fighting for it, those clients will cause problems down the track.

Also just for anyone ever deciding to start a cleaning business, never ever go with a franchise. I was with a franchise before I started my own, they are the scum of the earth. Greedy little parasites.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.