Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Client thinks site is too busy what are your thoughts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    TheTrish
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I am doing this website for a client, it is on my development server and is for a personal trainer.

He wants to appear more corporate and professional however he also doesn’t want to appear all “shiny happy people with perfect abs”, just normal people achieving their goals.

I always look at sites from a commercial and ease-of-use point of view so when I build a website I want all the info on the home page eg I can see his fitness packages, where they train, a bit about the trainer etc and if I like what I see I will click to find out more.

However, my client thinks it is too busy and wants to remove a lot of the copy on the home page.

So please imagine that you are looking for a personal trainer and came across this site, what would you think.

Specifics are:

http://www.ingresshosting.com.au/FitzFitness/index.html

Dark green background should it be lighter or removed?
    Should the copy on the homepage be removed and just have packages.
    Any other feedback?

Please note this site is still in development and as such the prices and copy are not final just yet and I still have to finalise the photos.

I really appreciate your feedback.

thanks

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

Hello Trish

I would agree with your client… you are not selling ‘hard products’… the visitor to your client’s site sees the process as an emotional one

MarketingHQ
    • Total posts: 142
    Up

I’d have to agree with your client. Just a few comments from me.

1. The green is a bit strong and has a bit of a Jim’s mowing feel about it (sorry), particularly with the silhouette at the top. I would lose it and find an alternative as it is currently very masculine and would I guess need to be more gender neutral to appeal to women as well.

2. Most of the action seems to happen below the fold. I would remove the image with the tagline that takes up most of the visible space and use the space more effectively to promote packages and a special offer.

3. You could consolidate Welcome and About Me into one section as it really should be a sales pitch for your clients personal training ability.

4. Lose the BMI calculator and make more room for testimonials. Even have them scrolling if you can.

5. Use a better shot of your client with him wearing his training uniform (with business branding) and possibly taking a session.

Just my thoughts. Hope they are useful.

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Have to admit it struck me a bit like – tradesman/garden shop (or so) – maybe just trying colours other than the green might make a difference. Green is seems to me a colour some people will love and will turn most off, unless there is a very good reason for it.

Tend to agree there is a bit too much, yes maybe combine/condense some of it. I would also put the banner image behind the section at the top and reduce the space used up by the banner, would certainly give more room above the fold and it would be shame to waste the picky!

Becca
    • Total posts: 38
    Up

I would scrap the green as the background colour as its just way too heavy for the site and I find I am looking more at the overall look than the information.

I would put a button with a little information which links people through to the training packages rather than having everything on the front page – remove the map and have this on the training page – have more testimonials on the side and I would keep the BMI calculator as a lot would find this handy. About us I would keep off the front page (or combine with the welcome so people know who they will be training with).

I personally think its bad to have everything crammed into the home page, you want people to be interested in finding out more hence they should visit the different pages… you want to tease them with the home page and make them want to know more…

Not sure if the clover is a part of his overall branding but it really throws me off a little (especially with all the green).

Also just one last thing the main banner, i think it would be nice if this changed when visiting different pages… it really is the main focus so something beneficial in there would be good. Perhaps advertising packages or specials or something… or remove it altogether and have the image incorporated into the content.

Hope I dont offend in anyway as I certainly dont mean to :)

lutrov
    Participant
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

I agree with your client, the home page is WAY too busy. There’s so much stuff there, I quickly lost interest.

It reminds me of a time when “portals” were kinda cool.

The slogan says “bringing personal back to personal training”, so as a customer, I’d like to see what that means for me. Why would I hire you instead of one of the many others just like you?

Yes, that green is yucky too. It’s too dark.

Siyoko
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

The green and orange for me on a plain white background to me doesn’t work too well, I’d suggest instead of a plain background (as well as what every one has already iterated, changing the green color) but try some sort of faint texture in the background, or a gradient of some sort. This can be very faint, but will add a little extra to the site. Make it so the first page is eyecatching, people should be interested enough to click into other pages and read more. You don’t want all the info up front, you want the info people need to get interested. Put some more into further in on other pages, so that after they are sucked in they will go searching further in the site keeping there longer, and giving you more of a chance to draw them in. :) I like the idea of more testimonials, and I’d suggest having the Welcome from your client on another page, sometimes people aren’t looking to know about the person until later, just the product, so make it so people can easily access that information but it’s not crowding up the front page.

Good luck also! :)

TheTrish
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your great responses. As with most projects there are some things I can change and some I cannot. I have made some changes and the client now loves it.

Thanks
    trish
    http://www.ingress.com.au

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.