Home – New Forums Money matters Client wants private expenses included in tax invoice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    indigoannie
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

First time here and would really appreciate some advice as my accountant is on holidays.
    My partner and I are starting a commercial and domestic cleaning business. We were approached by a company asking for a quote to clean their office. They then asked if we could do two houses as well and include it altogether on the tax invoice.

It doesn’t feel right, any ideas on how I can politely say ‘no’ to the one invoice request?

Thanks!

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

So long as the invoice you provide is not fraudulent, then it is up to him how he uses it.

You could give the one invoice, but have “cleaning” or “cleaning x 3” in the details.

The one thing you shouldn’t do is invoice him and have “cleaning (business property address)” as the only description.

Hope that helps.

Wendy :)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    indigoannie, post: 132910 wrote:
    Hi all,

First time here and would really appreciate some advice as my accountant is on holidays.
    My partner and I are starting a commercial and domestic cleaning business. We were approached by a company asking for a quote to clean their office. They then asked if we could do two houses as well and include it altogether on the tax invoice.

It doesn’t feel right, any ideas on how I can politely say ‘no’ to the one invoice request?

Thanks!

They might also work from home.

Steve

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

I agree with the above two responses. :)

happygirl
    • Total posts: 111
    Up

Personally, If I were in that situation, I would not make any assumptions but ask the client if they were for personal or business purposes.

(I would do this in writing). If he says it is for personal purposes – then I would ask him if he was aware that is an accounting convention called “Business Entity Conventation” whereby you cannot mix personal and business expenses. He may not even be aware of this – and you are now providing him with knowledge in an area that you should be imparting to clients when required (as with all the other doctrines and conventions!)

If he is mixing personal and business then I would not do it – simply based on my business ethics and I am not going to do something that I know is wrong.

My outlook is it is very dangerous to make assumptions on anything – the best way intially is to go to the source and ask!. Think there is something that people say about assumptions making something!!! :-)

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

You could charge him triple your standard prices for the office, and throw in the two houses for free… because you’re nice.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up
    happygirl, post: 133310 wrote:
    Personally, If I were in that situation, I would not make any assumptions but ask the client if they were for personal or business purposes.

(I would do this in writing). If he says it is for personal purposes – then I would ask him if he was aware that is an accounting convention called “Business Entity Conventation” whereby you cannot mix personal and business expenses. He may not even be aware of this – and you are now providing him with knowledge in an area that you should be imparting to clients when required (as with all the other doctrines and conventions!)

If he is mixing personal and business then I would not do it – simply based on my business ethics and I am not going to do something that I know is wrong.

My outlook is it is very dangerous to make assumptions on anything – the best way intially is to go to the source and ask!. Think there is something that people say about assumptions making something!!! :-)

but is it really your right/requirement to tell another business owner how to structure things?
    I understand your point of ethics on it – but I simply wouldn’t tell you whether it was for personal or business.

If I had told you, and If you then started telling me about how I should, or shouldn’t, organise my finances, you wouldn’t get the work. purely because, your ethics aside, I feel like it’s none of your business.

Not only that – but you’re not an accountant – should you really be giving someone financial advice? (Obviously, unless you are an accountant)

if you’re specifically being asked to do something that would be illegal, it’s a bit different. But you don’t know you’re being asked to do something illegal. You’re simply being asked to clean 3 premises, and provide one invoice.

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

My advice is be vague in your invoice detail and leave the decisions about tax up to them. Just list it as “cleaning services” – nothing more and nothing less. If they decide to claim it for business then that’s not your problem. I would not recommend involving yourself in any potentially deceptive conduct – its just not worth it.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.