Home – New Forums Other discussions Client wants to sue me

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #990713
    LovelyT
    Member
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi all,

    I’m printing stickers and labels and had this client last October, she spent about $2000 for her cosmetic range. She got back to me few days ago saying all the products were faulty – stickers are peeling off from the jars.
    She wants full refund, no other options.

    After 5 years of printing stickers&labels, never heard of this peeling off issue before. We’ve been printing for so many labels for many cosmetic companies and food companies and they are all happy..

    She already filed the issue to fair trading.
    And she saying ‘If you agree to a full refund, you will avoid damage to your business name’.

    Is it better to resolve the issue with her before we go to court?
    I am honestly stunned but should I just give up because of our business reputation even though I believe in our product 100%?
    She is threatening us that she will spread the words to everyone.

    What is best for the business?
    I’d like to listen from other small business owners.

    Thank you!!

    #1178283
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::

    Firstly, sorry to hear about this drama.

    Secondly, this will illicit many replies with varying outcomes :)

    On a personal note, if someone has lodged proceedings with fair trade without providing you a reasonable opportunity to resolve the situation or issue I think fair trade will potential push back on your customer asking what they have done to resolve with you firstly.

    If you have not been given an opportunity to fix, a demand for refund is not the only recourse as you may opt to replace after doing some I nternal investigating to ensure is or is not faulty. If no evidence provided for you to assess it makes it hard to resolve.

    For me, this sounds like te client is being unreasonable in demanding and ransoming your good name to get their monies back unjustifiably. Maybe they are having financial problems themselves, do they still operate? Have you googled there business name for yourself to check?

    If the product is faulty you should be able to replace the items. If they are not faulty you will get several replies including:
    1. Pay refund to be done with it
    2. Fight the unreasonable and currently unfounded faulty allegations
    3. Ask customer for all information and reported offended to fair trade as you are wanting to speak with them yourself

    Tough one, but should handle with care and due diligence as some people will hold you accountable for their problems. Or demand unreasonably on threats.

    Ensure you have all facts and potentially seek your own independent legal advice as well as speaking to fair trade.

    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1178284
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::

    ps.. i think suing and fair trade are considered 2 very different channels.. Your title says sue and post states fair trade. Just make sure you follow correct path as each will, i think, be very different.

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1178285
    LovelyT
    Member
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    0
    ::
    SimplyReplica, post: 207598 wrote:
    Firstly, sorry to hear about this drama.

    Secondly, this will illicit many replies with varying outcomes :)

    On a personal note, if someone has lodged proceedings with fair trade without providing you a reasonable opportunity to resolve the situation or issue I think fair trade will potential push back on your custimet asking what they have done to resolve with you firstly.

    If you have not been given an opportunity to fix, a demand for refund is not the only recourse as you may opt to replace after doing some I nternal investigating to ensure is or is not faulty. If no evidence provided for you to assess it makes it hard to resolve.

    For me, this sounds like te client is being unreasonable in demanding and ransoming your good name to get their monies back unjustifiably. Maybe they are having financial problems themselves, do they still operate? Have you googled there business name for yourself to check?

    If the product is faulty tyu should be able to replace the items. If they are not faulty you will get several replies including:
    1. Pay refund to be done with it
    2. Fight the unreasonable and currently unfounded faulty allegations
    3. Ask customer for all information and reported offended to fair trade as you are wanting to speak with them yourself

    Tough one, but should handle with care and due dilogence as some people will hold you accountable for their problems. Or demand unreasonably on threats.

    Ensure you have all facts and potentially seek your own independent legal advice as well as speaking to fair trade.

    Jason

    Thank you Jason, appreciated!
    I’ll see how we go, in the mean time I’ll prepare myself.

    #1178286
    LovelyT
    Member
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    0
    ::

    Re: Client wants to go to fair trade

    SimplyReplica, post: 207602 wrote:
    ps.. i think suing and fair trade are considered 2 very different channels.. Your title says sue and post states fair trade. Just make sure you follow correct path as each will, i think, be very different.

    Right, she said ‘You’ll be hearing from lawyers’. Probably confused too.
    Changed the title :)

    #1178287
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::
    LovelyT, post: 207604 wrote:
    Thank you Jason, appreciated!
    I’ll see how we go, in the mean time I’ll prepare myself.

    Most importantly, and i know its easier said than done, just try not to let it sour your day or interfere with your thoughts on the business or other clients. When things like this tend to happen, some people start to look negatively on a few things and it can take over your workload if you let it..

    You will only be able to respond, react and wait for anything that comes from someone that appears to be this demanding. You can try and deal with it pro-actively as advised in my first reply, although this will depend if the client has an end game in sight that you are unaware of :(

    Do some homework, maybe ring some of your other clients that ordered same/similar products for same/similar purpose and see how they are going. If they have experienced similar problems they will let you know, i am sure and if all good with them and you find no other faulty products it may help you in your mindset and show you have done some due diligence (as sounds like this person will not communicate problems effectively) should it go to a hearing at fair trading etc.

    Just be reasonable (i hear ‘nicky’), considerate and open in all communications with this person but DO NOT BE BULLIED :) or forced to make decisions without clarifying problems or commitments on outcomes.

    Hope this makes sense?

    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1178288
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    0
    ::

    I wouldn’t be asking for legal advice on a public forum. Speak to a solicitor.

    #1178289
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::
    John Romaine, post: 207609 wrote:
    I wouldn’t be asking for legal advice on a public forum. Speak to a solicitor.

    Might just be venting and asking best process moving forward? If it’s law suit, I would also be advising to seek legal advice as per initial relly although if fair trade there would be nothing wrong speaking to fair trade initially :)

    Johns comment is on the ball though.

    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1178290
    LovelyT
    Member
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    0
    ::
    John Romaine, post: 207609 wrote:
    I wouldn’t be asking for legal advice on a public forum. Speak to a solicitor.

    Thank you for your advice.

    #1178291
    PRO
    Member
    • Total posts: 450
    Up
    0
    ::

    There is one thing for someone to want or threaten to sue. It is another thing to actually pay a lawyer to send a threatening letter.

    Filing a claim in court (the 1st real step they have to take to sue you is a whole different level. Not only is it expensive for them to do, their lawyer will also be advising them that if they lose they might also have to pay your costs.

    In this sort of situation my advice would normally be to someone wanting to sue would depend on the amount involved.

    To make to trial in a matter like this you could kiss $50k away in legal fees and then could be up for half to two thirds of theirs. If it was <$20k claim would not even consider it, $50k maybe but doubtful. Litigation is expensive and time consuming.

    #1178292
    LovelyT
    Member
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    0
    ::
    SimplyReplica, post: 207606 wrote:
    Most importantly, and i know its easier said than done, just try not to let it sour your day or interfere with your thoughts on the business or other clients. When things like this tend to happen, some people start to look negatively on a few things and it can take over your workload if you let it..

    You will only be able to respond, react and wait for anything that comes from someone that appears to be this demanding. You can try and deal with it pro-actively as advised in my first reply, although this will depend if the client has an end game in sight that you are unaware of :(

    Do some homework, maybe ring some of your other clients that ordered same/similar products for same/similar purpose and see how they are going. If they have experienced similar problems they will let you know, i am sure and if all good with them and you find no other faulty products it may help you in your mindset and show you have done some due diligence (as sounds like this person will not communicate problems effectively) should it go to a hearing at fair trading etc.

    Just be reasonable (i hear ‘nicky’), considerate and open in all communications with this person but DO NOT BE BULLIED :) or forced to make decisions without clarifying problems or commitments on outcomes.

    Hope this makes sense?

    Jason

    Awesome advice. I’ll try to stay positive!

    #1178293
    LovelyT
    Member
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    0
    ::
    PRO, post: 207613 wrote:
    There is one thing for someone to want or threaten to sue. It is another thing to actually pay a lawyer to send a threatening letter.

    Filing a claim in court (the 1st real step they have to take to sue you is a whole different level. Not only is it expensive for them to do, their lawyer will also be advising them that if they lose they might also have to pay your costs.

    In this sort of situation my advice would normally be to someone wanting to sue would depend on the amount involved.

    To make to trial in a matter like this you could kiss $50k away in legal fees and then could be up for half to two thirds of theirs. If it was <$20k claim would not even consider it, $50k maybe but doubtful. Litigation is expensive and time consuming. Thanks for your reply.
    Hope we can settle it without going through all this legal actions.
    I’ll update the result in the forum once it’s resolved.
    Thanks!

    #1178294
    nicomambo
    Member
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    0
    ::

    Your client is trying to intimidate you and hoping that if you get rattled, you will easily give in to his/her demands.

    Show them that you are on top of the situation. Ask for a sample of their container, and test the labels on it yourself. If it’s fine, then you shouldn’t worry about anything. If it really peels off then that’s when you start thinking of a solution that’s mutually acceptable.

    You will encounter a multitude of personalities as you go along. As long as you’re doing honest work, there’s nothing to be afraid of. The laws will protect you as well.

    #1178295
    LovelyT
    Member
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Everyone,
    I just wanted to post what happened after.

    We had few more emails back and forth, she was also threatening that she will have detective involved which I didn’t believe anyway.
    I wanted to end this stressful situation as I was getting too much stress, eventually I refunded 50% and she sent the products back.
    Unfortunately I couldn’t fight harder than this..
    Anyway, all good now and thanks very much for members who posted here for me again.

    Thank you!!!!

    #1178296
    nicomambo
    Member
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    0
    ::

    Congratulations on overcoming this obstacle. It may not have been he perfect ending, but it will make you stronger.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.