Home – New Forums Starting your journey Clients love my rates others say I’m too cheap ?.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    missymoo
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    ::

I have cleaning bizz that’s just started trading in the last 8 weeks I have been charging $60 for a 3 hour house clean which I charge out if client books a reg fortnightly clean client supplies the cleaning products but I often find my self using products when they run and don’t charge any extra but I do use my own mop as we clean well together.
    What do you think about this rate ? It’s early days and I’m still trying to delevop bizz with capital purchases so far I’m not making any profit but once I have all I need I should be ok
    I’ve recently risen my cost to $80 and I haven’t been getting any new clients , should I go back to my old rate ? which seems to be affordable for all, I provide a very high standard of clleaning which people are saying that I’m too cheap for the quality I give ,But boy I work my butt off to have as much as I can done. most of my houses are 4-5 bedroom with 2-3 bathrooms and I can get the largest house done in 3 hours and people love it, I’m also venturing my bizz out to the farmers which I charge $25 from the time I leave home till the time I return home again and fuel costs are added on top And give them the total house clean price.
    When the new school term starts I will offer bond cleans but still yet to talk to realestate to have my name put on their approved list of business to use , which won’t be hard as I’m well known face and to help my bizz grow a little more but I don’t want it to grow to big soon as I don’t have plans of emptying anyone at this stage so far my only marketing tool is Facebook classifieds and word of mouth recently ordered car magnets and bizz cards to get my name out their a lil more.
    What do you all think? Regards :)

UberCable
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

My parents have run a cleaning business for around 10 years and started the same way as yourself – offering high-quality cleaning at cheap rates.

I would keep your prices at the higher rate. My parents now charge around $30-$35ph (each), yet constantly get new customers calling them and they have to be turned away.

If you do a better job than the competition, a lot of people will not mind paying a bit more. It might take a bit longer to initially gain customers, but eventually word-of-mouth will prevail.

Good luck. :)

UberCable
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

My parents have run a cleaning business for around 10 years and started the same way as yourself – offering high-quality cleaning at cheap rates.

I would keep your prices at the higher rate. My parents now charge around $30-$35ph (each), yet constantly get new customers calling them and they have to be turned away.

If you do a better job than the competition, a lot of people will not mind paying a bit more. It might take a bit longer to initially gain customers, but eventually word-of-mouth will prevail.

Good luck. :)

MajorVenuePromotions
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

I can imagine why clients love your rates, $20 an hour is really cheap, but lets be honest did you go into business to earn less per hour than alot of people who dont have any of the issues of running a business can earn.

If you want to keep it just being enough to survive then sure $20 an hour is fine but lets face it the main reason people go into business is to do a little better than that.

I would suggest raising that price a little, you may not get as many new clients straight away but if you try to aim for slightly higher end clients who can afford your quality the extra profit will cover the fewer clients i.e. you have 15 clients per week making you $60 each you get $900 for 45 hours work before expenses, if you have 8 clients that you charge $100 for a proper clean that may take you just over 3 hours (lets say 3:15) you make $800 for only 26 hours work with fewer expenses (although at this cost i would recommend just using your own cleaners (that you will get at a bulk rate),

Personally I have been more than happy to pay $100 a week or fortnight to have the house cleaned (as this cost would be spread between all the housemates)

And I would recommend that you get business cards and try and get them out to places where people are more likely to make good money including corporate buildings and call centres etc. and aiming for people in their early 20s if they’re making money they’ll be happy to pay good money to get a great clean

MajorVenuePromotions
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

I can imagine why clients love your rates, $20 an hour is really cheap, but lets be honest did you go into business to earn less per hour than alot of people who dont have any of the issues of running a business can earn.

If you want to keep it just being enough to survive then sure $20 an hour is fine but lets face it the main reason people go into business is to do a little better than that.

I would suggest raising that price a little, you may not get as many new clients straight away but if you try to aim for slightly higher end clients who can afford your quality the extra profit will cover the fewer clients i.e. you have 15 clients per week making you $60 each you get $900 for 45 hours work before expenses, if you have 8 clients that you charge $100 for a proper clean that may take you just over 3 hours (lets say 3:15) you make $800 for only 26 hours work with fewer expenses (although at this cost i would recommend just using your own cleaners (that you will get at a bulk rate),

Personally I have been more than happy to pay $100 a week or fortnight to have the house cleaned (as this cost would be spread between all the housemates)

And I would recommend that you get business cards and try and get them out to places where people are more likely to make good money including corporate buildings and call centres etc. and aiming for people in their early 20s if they’re making money they’ll be happy to pay good money to get a great clean

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

$20p/h is not much at all, especially with your own business.

I would stick at the higher rate – it’s only $20 more. The problem you are having getting new clients might not have anything to do with raising your prices. It might just be a coincidence.

That said, if $20 is enough for you, then by all mean continue at that rate.

Good luck with the new business :)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

$20p/h is not much at all, especially with your own business.

I would stick at the higher rate – it’s only $20 more. The problem you are having getting new clients might not have anything to do with raising your prices. It might just be a coincidence.

That said, if $20 is enough for you, then by all mean continue at that rate.

Good luck with the new business :)

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I have been in the cleaning business for almost 30 years and one question i must ask are you insured?
    Product and Public Liability is essential and will cost around $ 700.00pa, but pay by the month.
    Secondly do you supply the equipment and materials or is this fee a labour cost only?
    Doing quality work at low prices will see you go broke quick smart, you need to have a much higher price to attract the right customer, and this way you dont pread yourself too thin.
    Work out your costs, then work out an hourly rate 100%+ on costs, this then will give you a margin of profit.
    Yes working at low prices when your starting out is always a temptation but it can lead to bigger problems as business expands.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I have been in the cleaning business for almost 30 years and one question i must ask are you insured?
    Product and Public Liability is essential and will cost around $ 700.00pa, but pay by the month.
    Secondly do you supply the equipment and materials or is this fee a labour cost only?
    Doing quality work at low prices will see you go broke quick smart, you need to have a much higher price to attract the right customer, and this way you dont pread yourself too thin.
    Work out your costs, then work out an hourly rate 100%+ on costs, this then will give you a margin of profit.
    Yes working at low prices when your starting out is always a temptation but it can lead to bigger problems as business expands.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I’ve recently risen my cost to $80 and I haven’t been getting any new clients , should I go back to my old rate ?

I think $80 for a 3 hour clean is still very reasonable and people will pay it. You said you are not getting new clients, but are you keeping the old/existing clients still even with the extra charge? It could just be a coincidence, as Matthew suggested that no new clients have signed up yet. How long ago did you increase from $60 to $80? You mentioned you have only been trading for 8 weeks, so if the new fee has only be in place for a couple of weeks then I wouldn’t be too worried just yet if there’s no new clients.

To get a quality cleaning service, I would expect to pay more than $60 for three hours and am sure that people will start contacting you soon at your new rates. I think once you approach Real Estate Agents and have your name on more ‘lists’ at the new rate of $80 then more people will start employing your services. I am sure your current clients do love paying only $60! But, as Burgo has outlined you need to ensure all of your costs are covered and then make sure you make some money on top of that!

All the best with it :)

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I’ve recently risen my cost to $80 and I haven’t been getting any new clients , should I go back to my old rate ?

I think $80 for a 3 hour clean is still very reasonable and people will pay it. You said you are not getting new clients, but are you keeping the old/existing clients still even with the extra charge? It could just be a coincidence, as Matthew suggested that no new clients have signed up yet. How long ago did you increase from $60 to $80? You mentioned you have only been trading for 8 weeks, so if the new fee has only be in place for a couple of weeks then I wouldn’t be too worried just yet if there’s no new clients.

To get a quality cleaning service, I would expect to pay more than $60 for three hours and am sure that people will start contacting you soon at your new rates. I think once you approach Real Estate Agents and have your name on more ‘lists’ at the new rate of $80 then more people will start employing your services. I am sure your current clients do love paying only $60! But, as Burgo has outlined you need to ensure all of your costs are covered and then make sure you make some money on top of that!

All the best with it :)

DanielM
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

I would stay to the higher rate, you do not want to undervalue yourself!

Daniel

DanielM
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

I would stay to the higher rate, you do not want to undervalue yourself!

Daniel

missymoo
    Up

Thanks for the responses
    Yes Im insured
    I haven’t uped my current clients rates as I think it’s too soon to raise them
    I’m in competition to the cleaners out their who get paid cash under the table for their jobs.
    I’m defiantly at the moment covering my costs and making no profit I haven’t taken any income to my self yet but I was expecting this to happen to begin until I became fully equipt with my gear,
    I use my own cleaning tools other than I use clients vacum, I get client to supply the cleaning products to reduce my costs.
    Ive only uped my rates in the last 2 weeks and most people where aware I’m not available during the sch holidays so maybe it just a coqunisence.
    When I start doing bond cleans they will be done on whole house quote and I’ll supply products .
    I’m still working out the best way to work out my costs without it all looking to expensive I’m still to find a good cheaper source of wholesale cleaning products which I trial on a holiday house I experiment on with trail and error of products and still find my self going back to the way I know best with my products..
    I will certainly sit down and do more figures.
    Do you think I should be looking and quoting jobs first? My only concern is doing lots of driving and getting a small hand full of clients
    At present I get details of house and turn up and clean on the day , by them booking fortnightly cleans makes my job easier as time goes on.
    And yes I’ve come across some really bad houses and thought hoodlie doodle I’ve got my work cut out for me but I then challenge my self to get it done in the 3 hour period.
    Working out figures is all harder then I first thought lol I’ve ran bizz before but nothing like this before.
    I’ve chosen this field as im able to work around my children, so far it’s going well now to get this rate change in place and get new clients , I’ve been trying to get my security by getting regular clients booking. And the $60 rate I guess was to attract them and that I have :) but now I need to get this bizz making money:) so if you have any extra tips that would be lovely as this cleaning bizz world is all still new to me and still finding my feet I’m determined I will get their :)
    Other cleaning companies charge at $20 an hour and use more then one cleaner at one house to clean, but my quality over rules them as some of my clients used to use them , so I’ve had customer feed back on the things they didn’t like about them, so I’ve made sure that never happens with me
    Thanks a heap I’ve got till the end of the holidays to have it all sorted as my car advertising will be here by the time school goes back and my bizz cards and when it’s tax time I’m hoping help of an account. Will help guide me finically too
    Hope you all had a great Easter we all full of choccy now I need to work to burn it all off hahahahaha cleaning house is definitely one good calorie burner lol
    School holidays have only just begun and I’m having withdrawals of cleaning houses so I guess my house is going to be sparkling by then end.
    I love cleaning tho tiring it’s very self rewarding for me , and I like hearing the wow factor come from my clients mouths
    Happy Easter everyone

missymoo
    Up

Thanks for the responses
    Yes Im insured
    I haven’t uped my current clients rates as I think it’s too soon to raise them
    I’m in competition to the cleaners out their who get paid cash under the table for their jobs.
    I’m defiantly at the moment covering my costs and making no profit I haven’t taken any income to my self yet but I was expecting this to happen to begin until I became fully equipt with my gear,
    I use my own cleaning tools other than I use clients vacum, I get client to supply the cleaning products to reduce my costs.
    Ive only uped my rates in the last 2 weeks and most people where aware I’m not available during the sch holidays so maybe it just a coqunisence.
    When I start doing bond cleans they will be done on whole house quote and I’ll supply products .
    I’m still working out the best way to work out my costs without it all looking to expensive I’m still to find a good cheaper source of wholesale cleaning products which I trial on a holiday house I experiment on with trail and error of products and still find my self going back to the way I know best with my products..
    I will certainly sit down and do more figures.
    Do you think I should be looking and quoting jobs first? My only concern is doing lots of driving and getting a small hand full of clients
    At present I get details of house and turn up and clean on the day , by them booking fortnightly cleans makes my job easier as time goes on.
    And yes I’ve come across some really bad houses and thought hoodlie doodle I’ve got my work cut out for me but I then challenge my self to get it done in the 3 hour period.
    Working out figures is all harder then I first thought lol I’ve ran bizz before but nothing like this before.
    I’ve chosen this field as im able to work around my children, so far it’s going well now to get this rate change in place and get new clients , I’ve been trying to get my security by getting regular clients booking. And the $60 rate I guess was to attract them and that I have :) but now I need to get this bizz making money:) so if you have any extra tips that would be lovely as this cleaning bizz world is all still new to me and still finding my feet I’m determined I will get their :)
    Other cleaning companies charge at $20 an hour and use more then one cleaner at one house to clean, but my quality over rules them as some of my clients used to use them , so I’ve had customer feed back on the things they didn’t like about them, so I’ve made sure that never happens with me
    Thanks a heap I’ve got till the end of the holidays to have it all sorted as my car advertising will be here by the time school goes back and my bizz cards and when it’s tax time I’m hoping help of an account. Will help guide me finically too
    Hope you all had a great Easter we all full of choccy now I need to work to burn it all off hahahahaha cleaning house is definitely one good calorie burner lol
    School holidays have only just begun and I’m having withdrawals of cleaning houses so I guess my house is going to be sparkling by then end.
    I love cleaning tho tiring it’s very self rewarding for me , and I like hearing the wow factor come from my clients mouths
    Happy Easter everyone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.