Home – New Forums Other discussions Closing old threads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    ::

Is there anything more annoying that reading a thread, thinking of a reply and then realising someone has bumped up a thread that’s several months (or even years) old purely so they can promote their business?

Would it be possible to have some sort of expiration on threads so that they can’t be replied to after a certain period?

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

That’s a good idea Bridie. Hope Admin can do it.

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Hmmm, second the motion. This is one I have also noticed and when I think about it I must agree.

profitclicks
    • Total posts: 160
    Up

I think it should be on a case by case basis – if an issue from a year ago all of a sudden becomes pertinent now – sometimes it is useful to reference older topics. Also from experience sometimes I start forum topics only to be alerted by the forum admins that the same conversation is going on in another part of the forum and for quite some time.

sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    Up
    agentlocal, post: 87560 wrote:
    I think it should be on a case by case basis – if an issue from a year ago all of a sudden becomes pertinent now – sometimes it is useful to reference older topics. Also from experience sometimes I start forum topics only to be alerted by the forum admins that the same conversation is going on in another part of the forum and for quite some time.

Totally agree.

I have on a number of occasions seen threads replied to after months for legitimate reasons.
    New members join and feel they have something to offer an older discussion or find themselves in a similar position to that of the original issue/question and require further clarification.
    Locked threads would only invite multiple new threads duplicating former discussion where the latest thread starter would be (kindly) told to use the search function as there are many threads the same already. They get there and they’re all locked.
    Vicious cycle. :)

I actually think there is nothing worse than being on a forum where you feel you can offer something to an older discussion only to find it has been locked.

Blatant self promotion should be reported as spam in any instance in my opinion. Old or current threads.

bridiej
    Up

Problem is, in all the old threads that seem to resurface not one has actually had anything of note added to it, it’s purely an excuse to try and bring notice to someone’s business…

profitclicks
    • Total posts: 160
    Up

Maybe if they let well established members to restart old threads but not new members?

sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    Up

Exhibit A (you’ll appreciate this one AgentLocal)

Over six months old until yesterday.

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/working-smarter/11463-business-coach-do-i-need-one-2.html

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

There have also been a few other threads bumped recently by a new member; an example being: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/need-resource-got-good-referral/10233-web-designer-contacts-needed.html

Gets quite annoying.

bridiej
    Up
    agentlocal, post: 87594 wrote:
    Maybe if they let well established members to restart old threads but not new members?

I like that idea, since the majority of the bumping goes on by people with single digit post numbers that would work really well!

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hi Bridie,

Totally agree that there needs to be some mechanism to control this. Agentlocal’s idea sounds good – prove yourself as a reasonable forum member, then you get the privilege of adding to old threads.

Hope the admins can work out how to implement that!

Kathy

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Thanks all for your comments. We’ll certainly look at options, although we tend to agree that some old threads are legitimately re-opened by newcomers and the forums are all the richer for that.

As you know our little team work hard and speedily to remove offending posts so with your generous support and vigilance we should be fine to keep things clean.

There’s undoubtedly been a spike in ‘spammy’ traffic over the past few weeks and these things tend to come in waves – sometimes as a result of our site being discussed and shared among less desirable online types.

Enjoy your weekend,

Robert

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

As you know our little team work hard and speedily to remove offending posts so with your generous support and vigilance we should be fine to keep things clean.

But this is the rub, spam can linger and a small team is just that with the restrictions that having a few people imposes, but it is a big community. While the forum offer little or no commercial value to FS I can understand that there will not be the manpower on staff to keep things clean enough that has seen the rise in suggestions of alternatives lately.

This is where perhaps the options are:
    1. Have a staff member who is more dedicated (not in commitment but in resource allocation) to monitoring posts and not just reports.
    2. Implement some of the previous suggestions made, such as voting powers for spam removal
    3. More community capacity to make use of vetted forum members to be able to move stuff offline if they feel it warrants this, for subsequent final action by admin (back to point 1.) On another forum where I was a mod then admin, we had four people who did this role, on active forums you need this many.

4. Also tightening up the registration process based on IP address, to stop overseas posters.

Just my thoughts and I understand that the forum may not be the uppermost item on the FS business agenda.

bridiej
    Up

What about having Board Guides?

I used to be one for moneysavingexpert.com.

Basically, you give one or two people responsibility for keeping an eye on one or more of the boards, so they can delete spam, move threads if they’re in the wrong place etc.

So, for example, King could be Board Guide for Sales & Marketing, sixx could be Board Guide for SEO – it means they are dedicated to keeping those boards running as they should.

It worked really well on moneysavingexpert, as they only had a small team too.

StellarScott
    • Total posts: 239
    Up

I like Bridie’s idea… It lets the Baords be monitored by active/interested users..I have seen it used succesfully on other forums.
    … though editorial policy may slightly differ… When for instance, does seeking advice on your idea become promotion..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.