Home – New Forums Tech talk Cloud Computing Provider Recommendation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rball
    • Total posts: 136
    Up
    ::

I might be opening up discussion on a new thread here but I can’t any good information. What I am looking for is a service like Dropbox where I can start work on my desktop computer then put it in the Dropbox folder and continue working on my laptop on the other side of town.
    Anyone have idea on the most effective and safest company or service to use? I currently have a Dropbox account, but not for sensitive data.

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    Rball, post: 116284 wrote:
    I might be opening up discussion on a new thread here but I can’t any good information. What I am looking for is a service like Dropbox where I can start work on my desktop computer then put it in the Dropbox folder and continue working on my laptop on the other side of town.
    Anyone have idea on the most effective and safest company or service to use? I currently have a Dropbox account, but not for sensitive data.

CyberSecure is a decent option. They focus on corporate accounts, not home user. Security is a big thing for them.

They’re based in Australia too, for those who worry about such things.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi Rball,

Have you had any security issues with Dropbox?

Am just curious as to why you feel it is not secure enough. Love to hear your comments

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 116301 wrote:
    CyberSecure is a decent option. They focus on corporate accounts, not home user. Security is a big thing for them.

They’re based in Australia too, for those who worry about such things.
    cybersecure provide something a little different – cybersecure’s product line is cloud backup.. it sounds more like rball wants data sharing.

An alternate version to Dropbox would be Sugarsync…

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Why not just dropbox. Pretty sure this is exactly what it was designed for.

DJ_m
    • Total posts: 147
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 116350 wrote:
    Why not just dropbox. Pretty sure this is exactly what it was designed for.

Indeed……

Rball
    • Total posts: 136
    Up

From reading blogs online recently, Dropbox has updated their TOS and technically now have legal ownership of files uploaded. I’m not saying that Dropbox will sell my data or even cares about it whatsoever, but it does make me feel cautious

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

What blogs? Doesn’t sound right to me.

DJ_m
    • Total posts: 147
    Up
    Rball, post: 116385 wrote:
    From reading blogs online recently, Dropbox has updated their TOS and technically now have legal ownership of files uploaded. I’m not saying that Dropbox will sell my data or even cares about it whatsoever, but it does make me feel cautious

If you read all of the fine print from your credit card company, bank, insurer, landlord etc., you’d probably never do business with anyone.

If I believed everything I read in a blog (not that I have ever read one), well, you get the idea.

Perhaps Dropbox have some kind of ownership. Perhaps not. Ultimately they are well regarded, good value and their product works very well. My only concern would be that the information is not stored within Australia but then you’d better check that your bank, insurance company, credit card company and everyone else who has your private information store all this stuff locally.

Your information is everywhere and it is mostly beyond your control.

I just deal with companies that I believe have enough scale and size to do the right thing (assuming everything else checks out). Perhaps a flippant attitude but who has time to worry about all the possibilities.

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up
    Rball, post: 116284 wrote:

If you’re not actually sharing the files you’re working on with anyone else, and all you need is to be able to continue working on it when you’re away from your desktop, have you considered making room in your laptop case for either a flashcard, usb stick or external hardrive?

Failing all of that, you could copy the file to your laptop probably a few milliseconds faster than what it would take to upload it to the cloud. With so many free synchronisation tools out there, managing data on separate bits of hardware is not a problem at all, and you don’t have to pay anyone for the service, or risk anyone using your bright ideas to line their own pockets….or something similar.

And best of all, you could be sitting under a tree in the park or at the beach, and not be tethered to an internet connection.

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

From the horses mouth (Dropbox terms of service):

By using our Services you provide us with information, files, and folders that you submit to Dropbox (together, “your stuff”). You retain full ownership to your stuff. We don’t claim any ownership to any of it. These Terms do not grant us any rights to your stuff or intellectual property except for the limited rights that are needed to run the Services, as explained below.

To be clear, aside from the rare exceptions we identify in our Privacy Policy, no matter how the Services change, we won’t share your content with others, including law enforcement, for any purpose unless you direct us to. How we collect and use your information generally is also explained in our Privacy Policy.

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    Rball, post: 116385 wrote:

You’ve summed it up perfectly. It makes you feel cautious.

Reading blogs is a dangerous business. It’s the modern equivalent of the old town market where everyone would go to hear the rumours.

The tittle tattle and conspiracy theorists would have us believe that we’re signing away our future by handing over data to Dropbox et al., but these unfounded concerns typically stem from bit of legalese about the right to redistribute and copy your data, which is all about replication to multiple servers, and nothing to do with using your data for other purposes.

Have a read of this thread and particularly the article in my original post.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.