Home – New Forums Tech talk Cloud provider for a startup on a budget

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    eumatters
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi,

Anyone here who started a small web-based startup ? I’m trying to find a cloud
    host provider and just can’t make my mind. My requirements include an access to a
    VM with a link to a database server (ideally mysql). Obviously there is Amazon and
    their super powerful AWS platform but I’m a little bit worried that I will
    accidentally rack up a huge bill over night. Quick investigation reveals there are
    a few players on the market like heroku and digital ocean but I’m wondering – is
    there anything else? What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Tom

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I think it depends a bit on whether you actually want a full server or a PAAS (platform as a service).

I’ve used both at AWS and found a lot of their services a steep learning curve and it’s a bit of a challenge tracking their billing. I took advantage of their 12 mth free offer to get the hang of it, and mainly used Elastic Beanstalk (Sydney) and it was good, but a little expensive for the sites i was running (overkill), but I would use it again for the performance (lightning fast).

I now use Heroku almost exclusively and so far it’s been pretty bullet proof and simple to use, but that’s possibly because I’ve been using it off and on for quite a while and I’m familiar with it’s processes.

Heroku has no shortage of add ons and DB’s available and it’s pretty simple to provision most of them.

For either of them you need some skills at the “terminal” and to be using Git for version control…but you probably need the same to provision a full server anyway (cheaply).

The other small gotcha on the “platforms” is none I’ve used can run your primary domains out of the the box (there’s no fixed IP address)…I don’t want to run redirects to a subdomain so I use DNsimple for DNS which runs a work around that basically creates a primary domain record that works (and it’s a push button set up for Heroku).

I haven’t used Digital Ocean but I thought they provisioned a complete server?? If you do want a bare metal server I had a very good run with Linode until I woke up that devops was something I didn’t enjoy (and I’m not that good at it either).

Another possibility is RedHat “Openshift”. I’ve used it, but last time I looked you couldn’t get the full paid version in Aus, but that may have changed by now…if it’s still the same you can do everything Heroku can do but it’s a lot more flexible.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I’m using Linode for staging environments and Digital Ocean for quick test environments.
    Production environments I’m leaving to the traditional hosting companies like Rackspace, Digital Pacific, Anchor etc. (some of whom are using AWS)
    If we need to temporarily increase capacity for a marketing campaign, they can take care of it.

As Greg says, you can get great deals with Linode/Digital Ocean but you’ll be getting your hands dirty with Sys Ops.
    I think it’s better to pay the extra when it comes to a live/production environment just so SysOps is not an additional headache.

Allen Digital
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Are you involved at all with Microsoft? If so, they have a BizSpark program which entities you to $200 per month free Azure credits. You’ll easily run a small website on that. The credits last for 3 years.

Even if you don’t use Microsoft technologies, it might still be worth getting a BizSpark subscription (available to startups with less than $3M in revenue I think).

Sparrow-Sean
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Digital Ocean I will concur with, simply fast and elegant. Their droplets are quite amazing. I have multiple clusters with them for DNS reasons and I can say highly reliable.

However, really depends on the budget you have.

eumatters
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi,

I’ve decided to try out heroku for the time being. My little app doesn’t need much. It’s a classical ruby + mysql monster with 0 users at the moment.

Thanks,
    Tomasz

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    eumatters, post: 245923, member: 91495 wrote:
    Hi,

I’ve decided to try out heroku for the time being. My little app doesn’t need much. It’s a classical ruby + mysql monster with 0 users at the moment.

Thanks,
    Tomasz

Heroku is probably the simplest way to go with Ruby, if memory serves me correctly it started life as a way to take the pain out of deploying Ruby on Rails (how I first discovered and used it). When it was bought by Salesforce it expanded it’s offerings.

I don’t have anything running there at the moment that requires a database, but I think you might find you need to use Postgres rather Mysql to meet their requirements…plenty of doc’s on their site to manage the changeover.

I’ve just started exploring Google App Engine and Google Firebase as possibilties…looking like for my needs Firebase could be a good option, but both look a lot simpler to use than AWS.

DaveN
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Amazon launched Lightsail recently which is a lot simpler and from $5.00 a month https://amazonlightsail.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.