Home – New Forums Get productive Cold calling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Aliceh
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

I see am an not the only one who hates this task, problem is I don’t even know where to start. So I am going to attempt to make a list of numbers.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Aliceh,

Good on you. I hope you generate a great list, and that in due course it turns into some fantastic sales for you.

Jayne

Aliceh
    Up

I now have list of local businesses that I am going to start calling. As soon as I figure out what to say. I think I will put together pdf’s of some of the garments that I supply and ask if I can email it to them.
    This is really scary for me, I hate people calling me to sell stuff to me so it is uncomfortable for me to do that to others.
    I do know that if I want my business to be successful I need to step out of my comfort zone.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    Aliceh, post: 161461 wrote:
    I now have list of local businesses that I am going to start calling. As soon as I figure out what to say. I think I will put together pdf’s of some of the garments that I supply and ask if I can email it to them.
    This is really scary for me, I hate people calling me to sell stuff to me so it is uncomfortable for me to do that to others.
    I do know that if I want my business to be successful I need to step out of my comfort zone.

Alice

Are you planning on wholesaling your products? Or what will be the nature of your call to these businesses?

Jenny

Aliceh
    Up

I am supplying uniforms and work wear, so not wholesale. I will be asking them if they have uniforms or do they need uniforms and offer to send an email with more info and some catalogues. I would rather keep the call as brief as possible.

Jenny Spring
    Up
    Aliceh, post: 161466 wrote:
    I am supplying uniforms and work wear, so not wholesale. I will be asking them if they have uniforms or do they need uniforms and offer to send an email with more info and some catalogues. I would rather keep the call as brief as possible.

Ok.

I’d recommend a three-pronged approach.

1. connect with prospect via Facebook or Linkedin.
    2. send email introducing services
    3. follow up with call

Make sure you are clear about your USP before you continue with the above. You want to be consistent with your approach.

And also, keep in mind, for every 10 people you target, you may get 1 interested. So don’t give up!

If you want anymore tips, please feel free to give me a call – 0403 654 968 and I’ve more info on sales on my website.

Jenny

Barb
    • Total posts: 144
    Up
    Aliceh, post: 161461 wrote:

Hi Aliceh,

How did your cold calls go today? I also hate doing this, but it’s a great sense of achievement when you’ve done it – especially if you’re getting a positive response!

Good luck,
    Barb

SuperMinimal
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hi!

How did you go with your cold calling..? I tried this once and only lasted about 4 phone calls because I got such a unfriendly response.. :rolleyes: I think I wasn’t feeling the best that day! Might have worked better if I was feeling a little stronger heheheh

Annabel

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up
    SuperMinimal, post: 162132 wrote:
    Hi!

How did you go with your cold calling..? I tried this once and only lasted about 4 phone calls because I got such a unfriendly response.. :rolleyes: I think I wasn’t feeling the best that day! Might have worked better if I was feeling a little stronger heheheh

Annabel

Annabel,

I totally agree – there are days when I have planned to call potential clients, but if I get out of bed feeling a bit glum, I change the plan. Remember, how you feel comes across in your voice – if you don’t feel confident and positive, you will probably be wasting your time if you talk to a prospect. (And of course, you will never have that opportunity to make a first impression again).

Kathy

Aliceh
    Up

Nope, I just can’t do it. I have come up with every distraction under the sun. I hate people calling and annoying me and I can’t imagine why anyone would want me to annoy them. There must be an alternative.

47231#deleted
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Once you make the first few calls, it’s a walk in the park.

Try not to sound to scripted and just have a friendly conversation. It’s always good to ask questions, instead of just talking at them too.

I usually like to send through a brief email after each phone call, with a little bit more info about our company, contact details, link to website, specials etc…

Aaron

DKChoices
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

I have never tried it, but is definitely a difficult thought to simply call up a potential customer.

Hence, I really like the approach suggested by Jenny. Making initial contact very simply first to try our the waters and then call if it does look positive.

Blp_Sales
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

Cold Calling is one of the hardest things to do for most people. On the phone, you have 4 seconds to make a great impression. If you are having core reluctance picking up the phone, I agree with one of the previous posters – send a letter or email first, and then call. That way, when you are talking with them, you have something to refer to. Remember – it is a person on the other end of the line! If you genuinely believe you can help them – that has to come across, and it becomes a numbers game. Call 10 people, then evaluate what you have done. From there, change what isn’t working (in terms of what you are saying), and keep going with what is working, and make another 10, and revaluate.

Jenny Spring
    Up
    Aliceh, post: 162238 wrote:
    Nope, I just can’t do it. I have come up with every distraction under the sun. I hate people calling and annoying me and I can’t imagine why anyone would want me to annoy them. There must be an alternative.

Yes there is an alternative.

In fact there are several.

But here is one idea for you.

Decide on who you are targeting. Go to their website and research the prime people you will contact along with understanding about their business.

Put together a very sort simple email that tells them why they would want to take your call, and why your uniforms will work for them.

Send the email and call that afternoon.

That is the short version of one approach.

I’ve got several more, but they are hard to convey in a post.

Let us know how it goes.

Jenny

PhalanxFS
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

i would love to see some strike rates from people who have done quite a bit. I know someone that did it for years and was very very good at it and he once mentioned anyone getting better than 5% is a cold calling master.

I guess it also depends on the product you are selling. Alot easier to sell a $2 donation in a raffle compared to a $1,000 holiday package.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.