Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Cold Calling: should I?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Myshopsshop
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

Ideally I don’t want to begin cold calling people because my listings are free and the value for them to use My Shops Shop will come eventually (confident much?) … But what do you think?

Should all businesses cold call regardless or should only certain types of businesses cold call?

PS: It would be via email only, so they will have the opportunity to click delete!

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I think cold-calling can be beneficial for businesses of all types on the proviso that you make it clear that you’re offering them something of value.

Craig.Smith
    • Total posts: 167
    Up

Definitely worth giving it a go. But I think the number of signups you would get through cold calling would be small and time consuming compared to other SEO techniques to build up your online presence and reach a larger market.

On a site note, your website has quite a few compatibility issues with different browsers and browser sizes. I would put some effort into that to ensure your customers will signup after going to effort of cold calling.

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Hello,

I believe its worth a try.
    Like most things, you just don’t know until you try.

But before you start I suggest you consider the goals and return on investment you need to achieve. This will ensure you give it a chance to proof its success or failure based on metrics that mean something to you.

QiQ
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    Myshopsshop, post: 198762 wrote:
    Should all businesses cold call regardless or should only certain types of businesses cold call?

PS: It would be via email only, so they will have the opportunity to click delete!

Hi

I took cold call to be just that – a phone call. I note your actually talking about email. That’s called spamming :)

You have to be very careful how you do this and for it to be successful I suggest you either have to

a. Send millions of emails so you eventually get probability on your side (not recommended)

b. Send very few, but very well targeted personal emails to your targets.

I receive many emails that try to convey they are being personal but are obviously not so they are simply deleted.

You may find sending a real letter demonstrates you are taking the time to research and reach your clients more. Maybe use an online letter sending service such as docsaway.com to make it easier.

Good luck :)

Myshopsshop
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Thanks guys … Much thought – I think I will leave cold-calling/emailing well alone ; I’m just always curious about different view points :)

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

I took cold call to be just that – a phone call. I note your actually talking about email. That’s called spamming

Based on the information provided, can you please clarify why that is spam?

Justin Laju
    • Total posts: 89
    Up

Well, it depends on how much time you have.

The best SEO comes from Good Quality Content.

If you have a mountain of people signing up, then it will be creating content for you, so you may not feel bullish about proactively seeking more.

But if you are lot having many signups, creating content, then get on the phone and call them – for sure!

It comes down to return on investment.

Anyone who says “oh, don’t cold call it will damage your business” has their head up their http://goo.gl/uzm57x

If you are sitting back and waiting for Google positions to improve and waiting for that to bring in lots of signups – put a bomb under it and get on the blower. That way you get permission to send and email – and keep going and before long you’ll have heaps of emails with opt out options going out (and its legal).

Don’t wait for it to happen – make it be so!

QiQ
    Up
    Johny, post: 198786 wrote:
    Based on the information provided, can you please clarify why that is spam?

Yup. Cold calling generally refers to making unsolicited phone calls to prospects. If you apply that to sending email, it fits in quite nicely with the definition of spam…

“irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to large numbers of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.”

Johny
    Up

Yup. Cold calling generally refers to making unsolicited phone calls to prospects. If you apply that to sending email, it fits in quite nicely with the definition of spam…

“irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to large numbers of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.”

Sure sending bulk “Dear Sir” emails indiscriminately to all and sundry may constitute that but, I don’t believe sending a personally addressed email relevant to the receiver constitutes spam.

And if you are doing cold calling right, then it would be the same.

QiQ
    Up
    Johny, post: 198796 wrote:
    I don’t believe sending a personally addressed email relevant to the receiver constitutes spam. .

If the recipient didn’t ask for it then its an unsolicited message – regardless of how well packaged up it is.

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    QiQ, post: 198797 wrote:
    If the recipient didn’t ask for it then its an unsolicited message – regardless of how well packaged up it is.

Thats 100% correct.
    According to the SPAM related law you need a have and previously established relationship in order to email someone. E.g they gave you a business card or have registered on your website.

I believe this is an exception and that is when the email is made available by the company as a public form of communication. e.g. an email address you display on your website or marketing material.

Johny
    Up

There are many ways that Spam is defined. Some talk about unsolicited bulk mail, others talk about sending emails indiscriminately.

Lets talk about the Aust Spam act.

There is consent and there is inferred consent. Unsolicited doesn’t necessarily mean no consent has been given and doesn’t necessarily mean it is spam.

For example, you put your email address on your website you open yourself up to a whole lot of inferred consent.

Justin Laju
    Up
    Johny, post: 198796 wrote:
    Sure sending bulk “Dear Sir” emails indiscriminately to all and sundry may constitute that but, I don’t believe sending a personally addressed email relevant to the receiver constitutes spam.

And if you are doing cold calling right, then it would be the same.

Unfortunately that’s incorrect Johny :)

It’s not determined by having it addressed correctly – it comes down to permission.

You can address it to their exact name, and be completely relevant – but if you don’t have permission – it’s Spam according to the Spam Act http://goo.gl/Yu9uh0

But all you need to do to get permission is call (business number cannot be on the Do Not Call Register – so safe there) and talk to a receptionist and ask for the decision makers name “director, or whatever” or speak with a decision maker and pitch it. Either way, ask for an email to send details to. Note the persons name that gave you the email address to cover your own http://goo.gl/uzm57x lol – and then you can send it – the Spam Act can then kiss your http://goo.gl/uzm57x

I think the key here is integrity, do everything with integrity – make it about quality rather than quantity.

The power of flying solo in a business is that you have the ability to maintain quality control the way you want it.

But there is great benefits to cold calling and emailing – just do it right, and do it a lot!

Justin Laju
    Up
    Johny, post: 198802 wrote:
    There are many ways that Spam is defined. Some talk about unsolicited bulk mail, others talk about sending emails indiscriminately.

Lets talk about the Aust Spam act.

There is consent and there is inferred consent. Unsolicited doesn’t necessarily mean no consent has been given and doesn’t necessarily mean it is spam.

For example, you put your email address on your website you open yourself up to a whole lot of inferred consent.

Maybe you do, but it is still Spam according to the Act unless you are a consumer or you are a business interested in the underlying businesses offering.

Inferred or not it is still Spam.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.