Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Cold Calls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Debbie22
    • Total posts: 52
    Up
    ::

Hi – I think I know the answer to this question before I even ask it, however I have been taught never to make assumptions.

We are able to provide a service to companies that can reduce their costs tremendoulsy when they recruit people.

We are thinking of calling ad-hoc companies and speaking to someone within their Finance area, and intially starting the call by a quick intro, and if they are interested elaborating on our services, or at a bear minimum asking if we can send them our presentation.

I have a feeling this is not a good idea and for the most part will irritate people and they won’t be receptive to even giving us their email addresses.

What are your thoughts as using this as a means of marketing?

Honestly is appreciated :-)

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

it all comes down to your approach. if you are calling to “sel”, you will annoy everyone. if you main purpose is NOT to sell but inform and educate, you will have a pleasant experience.

successful sales is multi step and in the information age, you will need to have a sales strategy where you educate and nurture and then make an offer on the 3rf or 4th point of contact. this can be on the 4 th day or 10th day depending on your strategy, target market, ticket price, etc.

the mistake is to think that cold calling doesnt work. it only doesnt work if one doesn’t have a clue how to sell.

there are lots who hate cold call, opt for internet marketing and still wonder why it doesn’t work.

people are people. you are either an annoying pest or a welcome guest. move from being a salesperson to a trusted advisor. the trusted advisor doesn’t have to sell because the customer wants to buy (Assuming you understand your customer’s hopes and fears).

erinna
    Participant
    • Total posts: 135
    Up

I know someone who does the inform and educate route, and she has a great manner about her. Her #1 step is to do a lot of research about the companies she is approaching. This helps her define exactly what they do, how her solution will help them, and also who to talk to. This way she can ring, ask to speak to them directly (which will always improve your chances I think), and she knows the basics of the company and believes she can help.

Of course, she makes no assumptions, and asks a lot of pertinent questions about any troubles (their ‘pain’) they may be having in her area of expertise, and will even offer solutions to things that may not fall into that area (by referring to her other clients who could fill that need).

I believe having a conversation to start, and informing how your product could possibly fill their needs is going to be more successful than emailing your presentation without that conversation. No one will watch/read something if they don’t truly belief its going to be a beneficial use of their valuable time. It could be good to send as a follow up to your conversation, as a prelude to an actual face to face meeting, so they could forward to anyone else who may be attending, to fill them in.

It may well take longer that way, but by doing your research, you will find you are talking to more relevant individuals and companies, and get more valuable contacts.

(as a side note, my first time “cold calling” to inform associated industry people that I was able and available, went terribly. My first call I sounded like I was going to cry, I was so nervous! The other woman must’ve thought so too, because she was so gentle with her let down. hehehe It does get easier though! :) The worst they can say is no :D )

AGMBris
    • Total posts: 319
    Up

Ah its a difficult one.

It depends on the approach and sale pitch I think. Certainly in our industry it is extremely difficult because of the annoying tactics used by off shore companies.

I guess if you can get to the right person too is a question that is asked. But once you do, maintaining a position of giving the client something rather then just a financial situation for you. And that is what it sounds like you have from your post. Thats a real positive.

Good luck

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

In my opinion, cold calling is a horrid way to grow your business. I personally don’t give cold callers the time of day and know many professionals that feel the same way.

In the modern age of social media – twitter, facebook etc and soft contact approaches… I don’t see the need.

A better approach would be to start engaging with your audience over Twitter.. or throw some money towards an Adwords campaign.

My personal way of growing my business, which is a value of mine, is to grow it organically, through making relationships and helping other people achieve their success.

Just my opinion ;)

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Golden Goose, I honestly could not disagree with you more, and if you are generating your business that way, that is fantastic.

The OP offers services related to recruitment, how many people will engage with them on Twitter? The whole social media thing is reactive and speculative in my opinion. You are hoping that you will pique peoples interest.

Most businesses that want to generate a sales revenue need to be proactive with their time and money. Google Adwords, whilst effective is again reliant on them finding you. This is my problem with the whole social media cult – Build it and they will come, or talk about it until you are blue in the face and hope someone re-tweets it!

I can see the benefit for some businesses, but others need to realise that it just does not work for every business in every industry. It is definitely not a golden bullet, and will never generate as many leads and clients and a well formulated telemarketing campaign

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 118085 wrote:
    This is my problem with the whole social media cult – Build it and they will come, or talk about it until you are blue in the face and hope someone re-tweets it!Like any form of marketing you need to have a plan and ways of measuring success.
    TheGoldenGoose
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 118085 wrote:
    This is my problem with the whole social media cult – Build it and they will come, or talk about it until you are blue in the face and hope someone re-tweets it!

No worries, we can agree to disagree. As I mentioned, just my personal opinion. :)

The above quote shows that you have missed the point of modern day marketing and social media integration.

Social media is about engagement, not plugging yourself constantly and hoping someone RTs! A person follows a brand on Facebook not because they want to be plugged to but because they are hoping to interact with that particular brand or business, learn more of the brand’s story and fall in love.

I am about helping businesses that are passionate about what they do find an audience that are just as passionate about their service or products. It’s about falling in love.

This, I believe, does not happen often through cold calling.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    TheGoldenGoose, post: 118089 wrote:
    A person follows a brand on Facebook not because they want to be plugged to but because they are hoping to interact with that particular brand or business, learn more of the brand’s story and fall in love.

It’s about falling in love.

Also happy to agree to disagree – I think your comment above shows that you work for a set number of companies this can work for. Who is going to fall in love with a recruitment company?

I appreciate your point of view and your opinion, but I will never be convinced that social media can or will work for everyone.

TheGoldenGoose
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 118090 wrote:
    Also happy to agree to disagree – I think your comment above shows that you work for a set number of companies this can work for. Who is going to fall in love with a recruitment company?

I appreciate your point of view and your opinion, but I will never be convinced that social media can or will work for everyone.

How can anyone fall in love with a solicitors firm, a seafood research company, a computer foundation company? a car company?

Anything’s possible ;)

I agree, there’s not a one size fits all answer. Particularly with social media – I’ve found products fly better than services industries on Facebook for example. You have to consider time of day, regularity of posts, relevance of posts etc.

Dane Pymble
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

Perhaps people fall in love with the personalities behind these mundane companies? I am not taking sides on this one but perhaps in these mundane industries (I am involved in an Investment Management company and we are very active on Twitter and have got a lot of valuable contacts as a result, one of which has lead us to pitching to a multi-million dollar prospect in the next week or so, a big deal for us but maybe not for a Colonial or BT) it is the people behind the business that is what the engagement is about.

As I mention I understand the investment industry. Google a guy called Hugh Hendry. He is someone people either love or hate (I personally love his unique perspective) but he has created himself a personality. I guess social media can help with that when done right. That of course is just a couple of ways to use social media and I am sure there are countless others.

Does that mean cold calling doesn’t work? Well if you ask Frank Rumbauskas he would say it doesn’t but as you and others have mentioned and I totally agree that it is the way you approach it that determines your result and as Matthew Keath says as with all forms of marketing it must be measurable and if it delivers results at or better than your existing marketing efforts then you stick with and if not then you can it.

36805#deleted
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    TheGoldenGoose, post: 118069 wrote:
    In my opinion, cold calling is a horrid way to grow your business. I personally don’t give cold callers the time of day and know many professionals that feel the same way.

In the modern age of social media – twitter, facebook etc and soft contact approaches… I don’t see the need.

A better approach would be to start engaging with your audience over Twitter.. or throw some money towards an Adwords campaign.

My personal way of growing my business, which is a value of mine, is to grow it organically, through making relationships and helping other people achieve their success.

Just my opinion ;)
    Hi Golden Goose i love this information. Can you suggest tips for engaging with the audience via Facebook & twitter. Word of Mouth is definitely the best I feel.

digital101
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    jn, post: 118122 wrote:
    Hi Golden Goose i love this information. Can you suggest tips for engaging with the audience via Facebook & twitter. Word of Mouth is definitely the best I feel.

People, you need to understand that at the end of the day, whether it’s Facebook, Twitter et al, they are nothing more than eletronic databases of potential customers. When you engage using these mediums, much like this forum, you are handing out your business card/resume in anticipation that you will be seen as the niche/subject expert and engagement will occur.
    Once engagement is made, it all comes back to trust, how the engagement is going, and story building without the BS.

daydreamer
    • Total posts: 100
    Up

I hate cold calling too. I am thinking of getting a VA to do it for me? Anyone know of good ones? I could write a bit of a script, but I need a VA that can handle the call if it goes off script.

TheGoldenGoose
    Up
    jn, post: 118122 wrote:

Follow those in similar industries to you, follow your target audience.
    Simply start conversations.. it is terribly easy.
    Reply to their posts.
    Retweet their posts that your target audience will find interesting/useful/relevant.
    Post links to blog posts and sites that you have found useful and that your audience will find useful.

If you need more info, a Mini Brand Consult might be useful for you and we can chat through some further direction for your brand as well. No pressure :)

Good luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.