Home – New Forums Selling online .com. or .com.au?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    roddy000
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::

Friends, we are setting up a new ecommerce website selling a unique healthcare product in the Australian market.

Here’s my dilemma. I have both .com and .com.au domains for our brand. Which one should I use as primary and which one should I re-direct from?

What do Australian consumers prefer to see? Will it make a difference?

Thanks in advance for your advise,

cheers
    Roddy

Krsna Lifestyle Co.
    http://www.mokshamat.com.au
    http://www.krsna.com.au

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi Roddy – use the .com.au and have a redirection* of the com domain to the .com.au.

.com.au says Australia and you can only have it if you are a bonafide Australian business, so it is a good thing for you to have.

*depending on the provider, redirection is very low – about $12 per year and sometimes nothing.

roddy000
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Thanks Karen! :)

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Roddy,

If you’re targeting Australian customers a ‘.com.au’ domain is a must as your primary one. The .com can be a re-direct. As far as being indexed and found well for Australian searches, Google places preferential treatment to businesses that operate from a com.au and hosted locally on an Australian server.

Need Leads?
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

I recommend using .com.au since you are looking to market to Australia. It is more Australian to do so and also could help with your SEO as well.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

1. Use the .com.au as your primary domain
    2. Set a redirect within your htaccess file to push the .com to the .com.au
    3. Set your preferred domain within WMT to the www version

Be sure to test that everything is working. (any variations typed into the browser land you at your desired destination)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    arrowwise, post: 180524 wrote:
    … and hosted locally on an Australian server.

Could one of the seo gurus confirm this ?

Steve

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up

Definitely use .au as the primary – I always check domains when buying online as I try to buy local (whether local is town, region, state or country).

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 180862 wrote:

Steve

By no means a guru but my opinion (formulated from a number of sources) is that the domain (.com vs .com.au) or location of server doesn’t have an impact on the search ranking position in a given country. You can override all of those factors by using Webmaster Tools.

A probable advantage of locally hosted sites is that they load faster for Australian visitors, thus Google is likely to give it preferential treatment for that audience. Loading speed is a confirmed Google ranking factor.

If the website loaded at the same speed, regardless of server location, I don’t think Google would give any preference.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    James Rayers, post: 180865 wrote:
    Google is likely to give it preferential treatment for that audience. Loading speed is a confirmed Google ranking factor.

It always seemed to us that load speed as a factor of ranking was counter intuitive. You can find some large and slow sites that rank high in Google results. Conversely you can find some fast sites that rank lower.

Google rates content very highly as a factor in ranking and content means bigger page sizes and slower load times. There is also more rich media on sites which also negatively effects load time.

I found this article which is I believe one of the most thorough analysis of load times and Google that I have read. The result is that there is no correlation between load times and rankings.

John

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 180862 wrote:

Steve

Google takes the speed of a page to load AND responsiveness on different devices extremely seriously. It can literally make or break your rankings.

Here is a good starting point:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

You can quickly work out what you can do to improve your existing website.

In most cases a locally hosted website will load much faster to visitors accessing it in Australia. On top of that you may need more tweaks on your website. For example a wordpress site which has a lot of dodgey plugins and badly configured may experience slow load times – even worse than one hosted overseas – so there are many variables at play.

FetchBargain
    • Total posts: 62
    Up
    arrowwise, post: 180882 wrote:
    Google takes the speed of a page to load AND responsiveness on different devices extremely seriously. It can literally make or break your rankings.

Here is a good starting point:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

You can quickly work out what you can do to improve your existing website.

In most cases a locally hosted website will load much faster to visitors accessing it in Australia. On top of that you may need more tweaks on your website. For example a wordpress site which has a lot of dodgey plugins and badly configured may experience slow load times – even worse than one hosted overseas – so there are many variables at play.

Completely agree. It’s right to say that google do give preferences to sites with good page loading speed. Also, no doubt to say that Australian servers are too costly and that is the reason people these days do prefer to move to US servers and integrate them with CDN to increase page speed via server cache.

But I still prefer .com.au and redirection of .com domains.

When it comes to ranking, there are more major factors which come into play instead of focusing on domain TLD :)

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 180878 wrote:
    I found this article which is I believe one of the most thorough analysis of load times and Google that I have read. The result is that there is no correlation between load times and rankings.

John

An interesting article … seems like a pretty thorough test.

I did note they found a definite correlation with how fast the site actually connects (as opposed to page load) and ranking.

Seems like the quality of your servers for both site and DNS are big ones to consider.

Even if it has no impact on actual ranking, I would of thought it was still a big issue in holding and engaging users.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    estim8, post: 180898 wrote:
    Even if it has no impact on actual ranking, I would of thought it was still a big issue in holding and engaging users.

Agree 100%.

Reasonable load speed is important but it also depends a little on what the business does, the audience and the expectation.

The more rich media and high quality content the better from a user experience perspective. But that will have an impact on load times. That is especially true in some regional and remote areas.

John

MarcelVS
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

The Australian consumer mindset is still in a default mode. In other words, many still look toward a .au website.
    Without it the site looks global and instinctly, click the back button as they only think that a .au site means local.

As others have said, create both with a backlink or redirect back from the .com site to the .au site.

ON the other hand, if you are thinking global than you would just have the .com as a stand alone.

hope this helps

roddy000, post: 180501 wrote:
    Friends, we are setting up a new ecommerce website selling a unique healthcare product in the Australian market.

Here’s my dilemma. I have both .com and .com.au domains for our brand. Which one should I use as primary and which one should I re-direct from?

What do Australian consumers prefer to see? Will it make a difference?

Thanks in advance for your advise,

cheers
    Roddy

Krsna Lifestyle Co.
    http://www.mokshamat.com.au
    http://www.krsna.com.au
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.