Home – New Forums Starting your journey .com personal or business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dudley
    • Total posts: 24
    Up
    ::

Hello,

The .com domain name has finally come on the market and I am really anxious to go out and purchase it right away, I am really scared that it will be taken. As I was looking at the registration there was a question whether it is personal or business. The business one you needed an ABN.
    What is a personal domain used for and would I be able to change it to business later on?

I really want to buy the .com but won’t be starting my business for at least another year.

Should I just go ahead and buy it?

:)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi dudley,

Get on and snap it up right now any way you can.
    You can change registration details later.

Steve

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Hi dudley,

Where are you purchasing the domain from? If it is just .com it doesn’t matter if it’s business or personal, you don’t need an ABN unless it is an au domain.

Presented with that option I would probably go with personal for now, if you are set on using that domain registrar.

dudley
    Up

Thanks guys!

I have been waiting for it to become available!

I have only registered for a year, it quadrupled in price for 2 years!
    I didn’t purchase anything else, web hosting, promotion etc, only privacy.

Should I have done this, or wait until I get my business up and going?

Right now I am starting to sell on Made it, but under a different name, selling completely different things! As I am not working I thought this will help out.

My main business I want to set up is food, I can’t sell unless I have a certified kitchen.

Nik :)

Jason@Plumsale
    • Total posts: 155
    Up

Where did you buy the domain from. The price should not get more expensive per year as you pay for more years. For a domain name only you should be paying between $10-$20 per year. Privacy and dns are usually also $10-$20 per year extras.

There are not many rules to .com domain names, whether its personal or commercial.

If you were buying from an Australian business, then they would be asking for their own records, not for the registration with the domain authority.

Divert To Mobile
    Up

Congratulations, now you have it the internet is your proverbial oyster.
    From a practical viewpoint privacy is not really worth paying for but now you have it its done. When your ready, shop around for the features you need out of hosting and email pricing should range from $3 p.m but don’t let price be your only deciding factor. Before you buy give their customer service line a call and see how long it takes to get answered.

Steve

dudley
    Up
    Jason@Plumsale, post: 148072 wrote:
    Where did you buy the domain from. The price should not get more expensive per year as you pay for more years. For a domain name only you should be paying between $10-$20 per year. Privacy and dns are usually also $10-$20 per year extras.

It was on special for $3 and back order for $9 now. I went through Crazy domains so whether that was good or bad I’m not sure.

dudley
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 148073 wrote:
    Congratulations, now you have it the internet is your proverbial oyster.
    From a practical viewpoint privacy is not really worth paying for but now you have it its done. When your ready, shop around for the features you need out of hosting and email pricing should range from $3 p.m but don’t let price be your only deciding factor. Before you buy give their customer service line a call and see how long it takes to get answered.

Steve

I was wondering what to do now that I have it! we are seeing an accountant next week to sort out everything.
    I went through crazy domains to buy it because it was the cheapest. Should that have mattered? They have web host as well, should I just go with them?

markited
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Given you’re in absolute building blocks stage for your online presence (and I get the impression it could be a new experience for you) then some simple hosting with your domain provider will probably do.

That should enable you to get a website and emails with your domain name all nice and tidy. If you envisaging driving traffic to an online shop (rather than just a simple web) then you’ll want to take a look at all options.

I’m playing around with Weebly for my website currently and it is very simple to get a good basic site up that looks nice and polished yourself. (Rather than paying someone)

If you’re heading down an online shop path then volusion or magento would be worth a gander.

Either way it’s stuff you can figure out at your own pace.

Cheers,
    Paul

Jason@Plumsale
    • Total posts: 155
    Up

$3 is really good.. There is no better or worse quality when buying a domain name.. Its really just a registration process.

You will have to purchase a DNS package to be able to use it though. ie for either a website or for email. Crazy domains provide it free with their web hosting plans or on its own for $18/yr.

Divert To Mobile
    Up

I agree with Paul and Jason and just want to emphasise to keep your hosting basic at this stage. Now your domain is registered you don’t have to really do anything till you need email addresses and a site. When you get to that you will probably find crazy domains $2 p.m plan should be fine unless your planning some super site, but if that’s the case your web developer should guide you accordingly.

Steve

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.