Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Commission Monster/DPG/viva9 Affiliate Networks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    karmaD
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

Is anyone here affiliate with the Australian affiliate networks Commission Monster or DPG or viva9 (as far as I understand they are different brands but belong to same parent company)?
    I would like to hear your opinion about those company and how we do business with them.
    I’ve browsed their websites trying to understand who are they clients (advertisers) and what products they offer and couldn’t find any relevant information. So I decided to apply to became an affiliate hoping that I might see later if they are relevant for my business or not.
    After a long wait ( when compared with other affiliate networks that give you instant approval) I’ve received an automatic email (do not reply type ;-) informing that my application has been declined ????
    So I’m asking myself: Am I missing anything? How do they conduct their business?
    Any feedback that could put some light into how these affiliate marketing networks operate?

Thanks
    karmaD

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi,
    I’m inherently suspicious of any “affiliate network” scheme.

What you have told us in your post suggests that you have had trouble finding anything useful about this network.

I made a very brief search and could find nothing to change your initial findings.
    Regs,
    JohnW

karmaD
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    JohnW, post: 194379 wrote:
    Hi,
    I’m inherently suspicious of any “affiliate network” scheme.

What you have told us in your post suggests that you have had trouble finding anything useful about this network.

I made a very brief search and could find nothing to change your initial findings.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Thanks John.
    Seems that there are no other people who had any dealings with these ‘affiliate networks’ and I’ve wasted already too much time on this topic :-)
    Probably the only good thing is that this post could help other readers – so they don’t waste their time with these companies.

Regards
    karmaD

SheInspires
    • Total posts: 247
    Up

I’ve used affiliate networks in the past for advertising and selling my jewellery and found them to be great channels.

The trick has been to develop quality advertising materials to make it easy for publishers to include your product in their blogs and newsletters.

This also lets you have better control over the presentation and sales messages about your products.

I went with the commission on sale model as I decided that if they went to the trouble of getting me a new customer who bought something – a customer I would not have had otherwise – then they certainly earnt their advertising payment.

I’m not a fan of pay per click advertising – affiliate or corporate.

Businesses that make a reasonable income from affiliate ads have high traffic flow so that’s always appealing – but I do prefer to pay on sales results.

I used Commission Junction and found that easy enough. I was surprised at how few advertisers provided good quality advertising materials and offered the minimum of commissions.

Logically, the more generous you are with commissions the more effort advertisers and publishers will put into promoting your product and the more sales you get.

When you price your product to include an advertising cost (as you should anyway) then it simply translates to your affiliate commission you pay on sold items.

If you want to find out more about affiliate marketing you might find the big affiliate marketing forums valuable education sites and business networks.

All the best!

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi,
    If you are considering “affiliate marketing” you need to be aware that Google has recently been decimating many sites from this sector because they contravene its “quality” guidelines. You may want to read these Google page:

Affiliate programs and added value

“If your site syndicates content that’s available elsewhere, a good question to ask is: “Does this site provide significant added benefits that would make a user want to visit this site in search results instead of the original source of the content?” If the answer is “No,” the site may frustrate searchers and violate our quality guidelines.”

Affiliate programs

“Our Webmaster Guidelines advise you to create websites with original content that adds value for users. This is particularly important for sites that participate in affiliate programs.”

“Pure affiliate sites consisting of content that appears in many other places on the web are unlikely to perform well in Google search results and may be negatively perceived by search engines.” (IMHO, read that as “may incur a Google manual penalty”.)

Panda 4 was released at the end of May 14. It decimated eBay amongst others for its use of replicated and thin content.

If you use an affiliate program I suggest you ensure it does not contravene G’s guidelines or you may soon be in a world of hurt.
    Regs,
    JohnW

SheInspires
    • Total posts: 247
    Up

Yes, you’re right about the content side of the affiliate programs and Google’s approach to that now.

I’ve only used it for actual jewellery products, not for short 350 word articles linking back to my site – but that hasn’t fitted with my business model of paying for actual sales – that’s about paying for links.

Publishers who have affiliate advertisements of products going out in their newsletters or blogs with products via affiliate programs are different.

And you should never use duplicate content in your website anyway – the other point Google is making there.

Written content and products have always been different to me, particularly as that reflects the two business models of my own business. Apologies if I was previously confusing about promoting product sales through affiliate programs, it hadn’t occurred to me to differentiate.

All the best! :)

GeeBee
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

I’m looking at joining an affiliate network or more than one. I think if you choose carefully and select networks who list well known companies, things should be ok?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.