Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Common Small Business Issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ecomodics
    • Total posts: 22
    Up
    ::

Hi All

I have come across a problem when trying to source brand products or products from large companies and have not been able to due to minimum quantity restrictions & or competitive wholesale pricing.

Just wanted to see whether any other small business have come across this issue?

Webslice
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Many of those companies will have a section/department for cash sales, have you tried reaching out to that section as they normally do smaller volumes.

ecomodics
    Up

I am thinking of designing a platform where all small businesses can combine their individual orders into 1 order which can be sent to suppliers. This will give small businesses a opportunity to play with the big players.
    They can order the product at the same wholesale price as other big businesses.

– What are your thoughts?
    – Do you think the idea will work?
    – Do you see any issues that might arise?
    – Is anyone interested and would like to be kept posted on the idea

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    ecomodics, post: 196948 wrote:
    I am thinking of designing a platform where all small businesses can combine their individual orders into 1 order which can be sent to suppliers. This will give small businesses a opportunity to play with the big players.
    They can order the product at the same wholesale price as other big businesses.

– What are your thoughts?
    – Do you think the idea will work?
    – Do you see any issues that might arise?
    – Is anyone interested and would like to be kept posted on the idea

Emily

It is a good idea, I’m assuming that these would not be custom-designed or protected products? They would be generic ‘off the shelf’?

Who takes on the responsibility of shipping?

Who takes on the responsibility of quality control? i.e. if the goods arrive and there is a problem, does each business go back to the supplier, or do you? Are you then taking on financial reponsibility for the shipment?

How will you handle the varying committments from each business owner? i.e. some want large orders, some small, some want more frequent deliveries etc.

As the importer, you take on the responsibily of ‘manufacturer’. That includes liability. Be aware of that.

Just a few thoughts for you.

Overall I like the concept of your idea, but as a 10 year experienced importer, I can also see issues.

ecomodics
    Up

Hi Jenny

Thank you for posting your comment.

These products will be already established brands and should be/can be available in Australia when ordered. The shipping/order amount can be handled either by the supplier or 3rd party.

If you support this idea, I have created a 5 question survey that you could complete. http://bit.ly/1rk80aY

The survey is 100% confidential, multiple choice questions and should take 1 minute.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

Hmm, interesting idea, and an area I’ve been looking into with a couple of business ideas I’ve been dwelling on…

I think the quality control/approval is an important one, though I guess if it’s known “brands” that might be fine.

I did actually work on a similar internal system for a global company a while back, to allow their stores within a country/geographic area to order from their Asian based manufacturer in bulk, thereby saving costs through all part of the supply chain. So definitely a good idea for certain products.

ecomodics
    Up

Would this be something you would help fund via crowd funding?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.