Home – New Forums Logistics Comparing Distributors, Importers and Freight forwarders

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ChezinOz
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I’m in the process of setting up a speciality food store, selling imported and local foods. I want to start selling online for a few months before looking at a bricks and mortar location in Melbourne.

I have already made contact with many overseas suppliers, mostly USA and UK. Some have downright said the freight costs to Australia are simply too expensive.

Others already have a local distributor, which is great. But most have asked about distributors or freight forwarders. I’m really unsure which way to go.

Initially my orders will be small, by the carton, and hopefully, once the physical shop is open, by the pallet. But definitely not by the container!

So my question (one of many to come!) is should I be contacting distributors or importers, or rather freight forwarders.
    Since the products will also require Australian Standards food labelling I’m thinking it would be easier to deal with someone that can do all that for me, rather than trying to do it myself.
    And what is a customs broker, and do I need one?
    The more I look into this the more it makes my head hurt!

Any info would be most welcome, thanks in advance.

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Hey ChezinOz,

Check out some of my posts I have replied to in the past to gain an idea how it all works.

Cheers bud.

ChezinOz
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Many thanks – I did a search before and couldn’t find much so thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will read through the previous discussions.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.