Home – New Forums Selling online Competitors who Comment on your FB Fan page….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Fiona @opshoppers
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    ::

Our Facebook fan page is going well.

A competitor has started commenting on some of our daily status updates.

Is it a clever marketing tool? Or Are they just being a tool? (I am currently hovering my mouse over the ‘delete comment’ link with an evil glint in my eyes.)

So tell me your opinion…..Do you leave them or delete them?

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Are they harming your business or just using that particular social network as a social network?

Its not at all unheard of for competitors to join in a conversation and usually accepted as long as they are not causing harm. Many folk build their social reputation over a long term of getting involved in appropriate discussions where ever they may be, you can of course do that too.

Of course there may even be some mutual opportunity too. When you get to know a competitor there are sometimes ways to “scratch each others backs” e.g. mutual referral where one of you has particular products you supply while the other does not.

Think carefully before hitting delete!

Fiona @opshoppers
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    Aidan, post: 152155 wrote:
    Are they harming your business or just using that particular social network as a social network?

Its not at all unheard of for competitors to join in a conversation and usually accepted as long as they are not causing harm. Many folk build their social reputation over a long term of getting involved in appropriate discussions where ever they may be, you can of course do that too.

Of course there may even be some mutual opportunity too. When you get to know a competitor there are sometimes ways to “scratch each others backs” e.g. mutual referral where one of you has particular products you supply while the other does not.

Think carefully before hitting delete!

Thanks Aiden,

Part of me agrees with you. As long as they are leaving constructive comments of course!

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

I often have “competitors” commenting on my page. They also share my posts, give me shout outs and are pretty damned supportive all ’round (in fact, a couple have been named my Facebook Fan of the Week!). And that love goes both ways.

Unless your competitors are trolling and causing grief, I wouldn’t be too worried about them commenting on your page. As Aidan pointed out, there can be mutually beneficial advantages to a harmonious relationship with competitors.

michnichols
    • Total posts: 236
    Up

I think commenting is fine! Promoting a big NO!

It is important to build a community not just with clients but also your competitors/industry. Share the love!

Michelle

DigitalDomination
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

I agree with most of the comments here.

There’s a lot of love in the web industry as far as I can tell. I’m regularly supporting Alex from Web Profits on Facebook – he does a great job educating business owners on the digital marketing side of things.

I don’t have any agenda there though, other than to encourage him. I see it regularly in Perth actually.. a number of the designers and developers here give kudos to their competitors by congratulating them on awards and on awesome sites.

My suggestion would be, if it’s negative or self promotional, contact them privately and ask them to modify it. If they don’t play ball, delete it and ban them.

Josh
    Participant
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

I say return the love and start commenting on their facebook/blog/tweets as well!

Kipper57
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Good points made

I agree Josh, I am sure they are not going to mind you posting back, but be kind when you do.

Competition should be good as you will know their weaknesses (with a little research) and you can add to your own image around them. Of course discreetly and on your own page.

SeoRank1.com.au
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Be nice, play it as you see fit. Just remember they are doing it for no other reason than to advertise, they may not be promoting directly but by people seeing their page name they are generating clicks and brand visibility.

Personally I don’t do it, because I think it’s disrespectful to, I don’t think it’s being social at all, I think it’s a sneaky way to ride on the back of someones coat tails targeting customers that you may of spent money to attract and to me that’s not right. If I spent $200 attracting facebook fans only for competition to comment on my posts I wouldn’t appreciate it.

I am talking about direct competition though, if you owned a Harvey Norman store would you appreciate a bright yellow JB hifi branded car parked right at the front of the door? No you would ask them to please move it.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up

Competitors are tomorrow customers.

Think — co-opetition!

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Firstly, if you want to use a public forum like Facebook, then that goes with the territory.

Secondly, your ‘competitors’ posts on your page are shown to their customers. So you may benefit from that in an indirect way.

Thirdly — as I said above, think about how to work together. They probably are hoping to work with YOU!

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Comes down to your mindset. Differentiate so it becomes an apple vs orange comparison with your competition.

Sure, both are fruits and nutritious but they aren’t the same in looks and taste.

Your prospects and customers are always thinking about alternatives so be proactive about catering to a certain niche or subculture and create a community – beyond your product and price. Think tupperware, harley davidson, apple (iphone), disney, bigassfans, george forman grill, etc

Your competition is making the mistake of targeting the masses so they will never really “keep” customers for long who will most likely be price shoppers anyway.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.