Home – New Forums Starting your journey Computer Repairs Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Mick87
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    ::

Hi to all at FlyingSolo..

I have for the last couple of months been dreaming of starting my own small business involving computer repairs, and more recently decided upon going ahead with the idea and getting the ball rolling so to speak.. as I could see this type of career becoming a hobby and not just ‘work’.

I am currently on the dole (with a bit saved up) and see this as a good time to try get something small going. I’ve worked out a business name, and have access to an amount of free business cards :)..

Another part of my efforts so far is researching of law.. and it seems obvious that I could run my small business without the use of an ABN.. BUT as I have read on some posts around here.. no ABN = less customers ? I’m just wanting some opinions on this (particularly within the I.T industry)

Also, if anyone has started this particular type of small business (I.T, Computer Repairs) I would love to hear some tips :) .

Am loving the forums btw.. Nice job whoever created them! :)

Mick87
    Up

Okay so i’ve just been reading a bit more on the fair trading website and noticed that I could just use my own name as a business name and therefore not have to register it.

Would using my own name for the business and no ABN be a good idea to start off with ? I will be starting very small to begin with, and I could always register a name and get an ABN if things pick up later on maybe ?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi again Mick,

I will leave your questions for others to answer, but it sounds like you may qualify for the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme. Have you checked it out?
    http://www.deewr.gov.au/Employment/JSA/EmploymentServices/Pages/NEIS.aspx

Good luck!
    Jayne

tr3nton
    • Total posts: 68
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 27748 wrote:
    Hi again Mick,

I will leave your questions for others to answer, but it sounds like you may qualify for the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme. Have you checked it out?
    http://www.deewr.gov.au/Employment/JSA/EmploymentServices/Pages/NEIS.aspx

Good luck!
    Jayne

Ahh excellent. I was going to ask about government assistance for new businesses.

Do you know for how long you need to be on centrelink before being eligible? i.e. leaving full time work to persue a business interest, or generally it depends on the term on which you left work (I think I heard this somewhere)..

mmm, i think i am best to drop in to centrelink and ask my self, to get a definitive answer (… in saying that, depending who you speak to there, seem to give you a different answer. lol)

edit: btw, mick, why do you not want an ABN?

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Hi Mick,

Having an ABN is really no big deal to get and does not really give you any additional reporting burden over and above your annual tax return. If you want to set up a business no matter how small I don’t think there is any reason not to get one.

If I wanted to employ an individual to fix my pcs, or do some minor handy work I would not use anyone that did not have an ABN or could provide me with an invoice/tax receipt.

All the best

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Hey Mick,

As Jayne said, NEIS sounds like a way to go for you!

Get an ABN, you will need it if you want to deal with businesses.

Tips:

• Don’t be the cheapest, you’ll get the pain in the ass customers who want the world
    • Canvas businesses, get them on service contracts for recurring income
    • Don’t work for free! Take note family and friends… I give them a discount, but still charge them at full rate
    • USE THE INTERNET!! 99.9% of my businesses as a startup was thanks to a very low cost adwords campaign
    tr3nton
    • Total posts: 68
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 27775 wrote:
    *snip*

• Don’t be the cheapest, you’ll get the pain in the ass customers who want the world

Excluding of course hobbyists, won’t this limit getting customers, as they’d be going to what they know/have used?

Chris Bates
    Up

It seems an attractive way to get customers, undercut the competition. But it’s not always the best way.

The cheaper you are, the more people you’re going to attract that are going to expect a $150/hr service for $50/hr. ESPECIALLY businesses!

Let the Uni kids in the trading post who work on site for $25/hr deal with them.

Charge what you’re WORTH, and just deal with the people you want to work with. If you take on the pains, it will be “work” and not a “hobby” as the OP put it.

I’ve shifted my focus away from tech support, but I still offer it. Because it’s less profitable for me, I doubled my prices to bring it up to par with the rest of my work, and started charing a call out fee for onsite jobs. I have clients who didn’t blink at the price hike, and I stopped getting clients that make me want to murder the population.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Yeah, computer repairs is a horrible place to be if you ask me. :)

The costs for computers is in the labour of servicing, not in the hardware. Hardware is commoditised, the labour is not…..about 5% of people understand and about 0% in the home market understand.

If you are going to do it, do yourself a favour and deal only with smart business people that have a brain and with reasonably larger sized organisations.

Home people, don’t value their time, so how they going to value yours?
    One person shows can’t afford to pay what it costs, so they dither.
    20 person show knows that a server down costs him $500 bucks an hour to have it down.

So who’s gonna readily see the value in a $200 an hour computer guy that knows his stuff? It’s not the home market, its not the one person market, its … :)

Mick87
    Up

Thanks for all your replies people.. I guess i have a better idea of what i’m getting myself into now.

But I am not gonna lose hope because someone other than me didn’t have much luck or enjoy the work with computers.. They can be a pain, I know this. But I think I am only going to get out what I put in.

If I can pick up some contract work, plus fix atleast 10 home computers a week I think I would be laughing.. I guess I can only find out if i try right ?

Thanks again for the insightful replies! :)

Edit: Just before i forget to ask. Do I need to register my business name before I apply for an ABN ?

CruzAccountant
    • Total posts: 195
    Up
    Mick87, post: 27964 wrote:
    Edit: Just before i forget to ask. Do I need to register my business name before I apply for an ABN ?

No

Mick87
    Up
    CruzAccountant, post: 27967 wrote:
    No

kk.. but would the process be made easier if I did register the business name first though ?

CruzAccountant
    Up

not really. Unless you’re worries about someone taking your business name before you register it.

If you did the business name registration before or if you did it after doesn’t really matter.

Chris Bates
    Up

Your ABN name doesn’t have to be the same as your Business Name.

They can be a pain, I know this. But I think I am only going to get out what I put in.

Too right. Don’t let us put you off, any industry there are painful clients. I guess my point was more to charge what you’re worth, not what you think they’ll pay. Make sure you’re not working like a dog for little reward.

Have you put thought into your price structure?

If I can pick up some contract work, plus fix atleast 10 home computers a week I think I would be laughing.. I guess I can only find out if i try right ?

Yes – you would be laughing! Careful though, contracts require commitment.

Also don’t be disheartened by this, but it will take you a long time to work up to this point. It’s easy to be optimistic about people ringing you from day 1 (I know I was), and then get disappointed when 2 weeks later nobody has called.

It’s a competitive market, you’ll work your way up with hard work and outstanding customer services. Do what you love, love what you do – you will make it buddy.

CruzAccountant
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 27984 wrote:
    It’s a competitive market, you’ll work your way up with hard work and outstanding customer services. Do what you love, love what you do – you will make it buddy.

That probably applies to 99% of people in this forum!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.