Home Forums New here? Share your story Confused about insurances

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    u-rippa777
    • Total posts: 6

I have an organisations interested in purchasing my product. If I sell them a unit, I presume I will have to pay for liability and product insurances annually (for the life of the product) to protect myself and my business. The organisation has over 17 swim schools and only needs one device to share amongst them. I am happy to provide them with a device as it will save lives, but doesn’t seem financially viable to do so.
    How do I get a unit to them without digging a hole for myself?

Dave – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 2,526

Hi [USER=116859]@u-rippa777[/USER],

To clarify…
    Do you not have insurance already to cover products sold?
    If there is an extra insurance issue/cost, once you have it priced just have an open conversation with the customer to explain the situation and the extra cost THEY will need to carry to make it legal/insured/viable. They might even help you work out a cheaper solution like using it at one location only (?).

Good luck!
    Dave
    P.S. Sounds like a brilliant product. :)

u-rippa777

Dave, thanks for getting back to me. I have insurance for me to deliver programs but not to to sell. It is an extra $5,000 + for product and liability Insurance. I don’t think there is a big market for it and I have no idea how to run the business in a retail capacity. I only want to make a set of units for this organisation for them deliver the programs which will save lives. But not at an extra costs to myself.
    Any idea how to get around this or can you point me in a direction for the right people to assist. I was hoping a few people in the forum would be of help, but it hasn’t obtained an interest. Cheers

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,160
    u-rippa777, post: 268340, member: 116859 wrote:
    Dave, thanks for getting back to me. I have insurance for me to deliver programs but not to to sell. It is an extra $5,000 + for product and liability Insurance. I don’t think there is a big market for it and I have no idea how to run the business in a retail capacity. I only want to make a set of units for this organisation for them deliver the programs which will save lives. But not at an extra costs to myself.
    Any idea how to get around this or can you point me in a direction for the right people to assist. I was hoping a few people in the forum would be of help, but it hasn’t obtained an interest. Cheers

It looks like you may be in an ‘awkward’ situation and also dealing with a product that could be considered high risk etc etc…

However, that being said, you said you have insurance to cover the ‘training’ side of things.. is there an option to sell your training skills to this business and induct them under you as trainers to be covered by the training aspect? am not trying to circumvent the rules, but if your sale is to sell the skill to educate and the equipment isnt sold and is merely a tool to engage the training as you are already doing, i am curious if this would work..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    u-rippa777

Hi Jason

Thanks for getting back to me. It is my goal to provide certification for swim teachers to deliver the u-Rippa program and then provide certification for experienced u-Rippa teachers to level of Instructor to certify u-Rippa teachers. You are suggesting that once a teacher is certified, i can then provide the units to them as an educational tool and expand my insurance to covers them as teachers. It is something worth exploring. I appreciate your input, thank you.

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    u-rippa777, post: 268344, member: 116859 wrote:
    Hi Jason

Thanks for getting back to me. It is my goal to provide certification for swim teachers to deliver the u-Rippa program and then provide certification for experienced u-Rippa teachers to level of Instructor to certify u-Rippa teachers. You are suggesting that once a teacher is certified, i can then provide the units to them as an educational tool and expand my insurance to covers them as teachers. It is something worth exploring. I appreciate your input, thank you.

Howdy Mate

No drama, wasnt saying it CAN BE DONE, just trying to think outside the square and reading what you wrote it sounds like one side of your business (coaching) has insurance coverage but not the other… This evoked my thought i guess…

Re the plausibility, dont know enough legal speak/insurance chatter to say with certainty although may be worth asking the questions of your broker etc etc

Cheers

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

The way I understand product liability, the ports of call for a consumer can be the retailer (swim school in this case), the product supplier (you), the product developer (you again). Just because you have a training agreement or some other commercial arrangement with the swim school it would not let you off the hook. If one of my children was injured or something with your ”unit”, I would be sueing both you and the swim school.

Cover yourself, ignore any advise on this forum which suggest loop holes, when you get in front of a judge you cant say that the forum told you, they will just laugh at you.

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    bb1, post: 268346, member: 53375 wrote:
    The way I understand product liability, the ports of call for a consumer can be the retailer (swim school in this case), the product supplier (you), the product developer (you again). Just because you have a training agreement or some other commercial arrangement with the swim school it would not let you off the hook. If one of my children was injured or something with your ”unit”, I would be sueing both you and the swim school.

Cover yourself, ignore any advise on this forum which suggest loop holes, when you get in front of a judge you cant say that the forum told you, they will just laugh at you.

Howdy Bert

Good advice, lets just be clear though.. i am not advising OP to walk away from accountability, i am suggesting that if they ‘train’ the school there may be a way that the current liability insurance they have as facilitators/educators could bring them under that umbrella..

Although as i stated, i am not an insurance person :) and advice on forums can be – well, misleading.. How is the wine business now days Bert! LOL

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    LucasArthur, post: 268347, member: 34537 wrote:
    Howdy Bert

Good advice, lets just be clear though.. i am not advising OP to walk away from accountability, i am suggesting that if they ‘train’ the school there may be a way that the current liability insurance they have as facilitators/educators could bring them under that umbrella..

Although as i stated, i am not an insurance person :) and advice on forums can be – well, misleading.. How is the wine business now days Bert! LOL

Wasnt your comments as much, rather OPS question ”Any idea how to get around this”, when it comes to insurance you dont try to get around anything.

Just got a case delivered from Chateau Tanunda.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    u-rippa777, post: 268331, member: 116859 wrote:
    I have an organisations interested in purchasing my product. If I sell them a unit, I presume I will have to pay for liability and product insurances annually (for the life of the product) to protect myself and my business. The organisation has over 17 swim schools and only needs one device to share amongst them. I am happy to provide them with a device as it will save lives, but doesn’t seem financially viable to do so.
    How do I get a unit to them without digging a hole for myself?
    Hi,

Get the insurance, factor it into your pricing, maybe implement a maintenance agreement with the client which covers your future insurance and care and maintenance of the product.

Do NOT go ahead without it, you have a high risk product which is being used by people who will take action if something goes wrong (Parents).

Speak to an insurance broker and read and fully understand the policy, and use that as part of your maintenance agreement.

I do have to say, congratulations on your product, very smart.

Cheers
    Mischelle :):)

u-rippa777
    Mischelle, post: 268349, member: 60404 wrote:
    Hi,

Get the insurance, factor it into your pricing, maybe implement a maintenance agreement with the client which covers your future insurance and care and maintenance of the product.

Do NOT go ahead without it, you have a high risk product which is being used by people who will take action if something goes wrong (Parents).

Speak to an insurance broker and read and fully understand the policy, and use that as part of your maintenance agreement.

I do have to say, congratulations on your product, very smart.

Cheers
    Mischelle :):)

Thanks Michell

u-rippa777
    bb1, post: 268346, member: 53375 wrote:

Thanks Mate, I will do, always got my mind on safety including my won. cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.