Home Forums Starting your journey Confused and overwhelmed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Vivienne
    • Total posts: 34

Hi everyone,
    I haven’t been on this forum for a while but I’ve returned as I’ve got a question I’d like to ask.

I’ve noticed that many people (obviously not all) that are starting a business have come from a corporate background or one in marketing, consulting, IT etc.
    I’m in none of those areas. I’m in healthcare and I’ve been thinking about starting a very small business for ages now.
    My main barrier is finding an idea as well as self limiting thoughts that keep popping in my head. I’m not even slightly interested in starting up anything to do with healthcare.

I see a lot of business groups on Facebook that seem to be made up of the type of people that I mentioned above.

In my reading I’ve noticed some opinions that most business fail and the ones that don’t fail will take forever to get off the ground.
    Then I’ll also read about mums that started up their own businesses from home with almost nothing and have become a great success.

I’m wondering if I’ll benefit from any short courses or seminars at this very early stage when I don’t even have an idea and when most of the people doing these things come from a completely different field to mine.
    I find all the information out there so overwhelming that it just stops me from going further.

Would be interested in your thoughts.

Dave – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 2,523

Hi Vivienne,

Great to have you on the forums!
    Remember that before business became such a popular activity, it was just a name given when one person provided a service to another person. I think that’s at the heart of it, and possible where you could focus to start.

If you made something and tried to find someone who needed it.
    Or you saw someone in need and thought maybe you could help them.
    Learning from your first tries. Improving your idea or approach.

You can learn other skills as you go :)
    Hopefully our members can share some other perspectives.
    Dave

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

Oops I think I fall in what you consider the typical business background, having come from IT, consulting, management and a corporate background. But having said that I think it’s those area’s that a lot of people just get sick of and decide to head out and do their own thing. Personally I don’t see any of them a pre requisite, and definite you should let the fact you come from another background stop you.

To answer your question in regards to training, my theory has always being in business or in my previous life, if you go to some training and you only pickup 1 new thing, it was worth it, I’m not saying go and enroll in 50 different courses, but would definitely say go and do some short courses, and even seminars (don’t get sucked in and commit to buy), knowledge never hurt anyone.

Vivienne
    bb1, post: 265338, member: 53375 wrote:
    Oops I think I fall in what you consider the typical business background, having come from IT, consulting, management and a corporate background. But having said that I think it’s those area’s that a lot of people just get sick of and decide to head out and do their own thing. Personally I don’t see any of them a pre requisite, and definite you should let the fact you come from another background stop you.

To answer your question in regards to training, my theory has always being in business or in my previous life, if you go to some training and you only pickup 1 new thing, it was worth it, I’m not saying go and enroll in 50 different courses, but would definitely say go and do some short courses, and even seminars (don’t get sucked in and commit to buy), knowledge never hurt anyone.

I think I’d feel a bit conscious of the fact that I don’t even have an idea yet and the other people in the seminar are probably up and running!

I’ll have to make a mad run for the door if they go around the circle and ask everyone to introduce themselves and what they’re doing!

bb1
    Participant
    Vivienne, post: 265339, member: 58383 wrote:
    I think I’d feel a bit conscious of the fact that I don’t even have an idea yet and the other people in the seminar are probably up and running!

I’ll have to make a mad run for the door if they go around the circle and ask everyone to introduce themselves and what they’re doing!

No one ever said that bending the truth hurts.

You can just say you are in the start up phase of anything really as long as it’s relevant to the seminar.

bb1
    Participant

PS. A lot of seminars don’t really care, their aim is to sell you ongoing something, so you could say you are going to be a brain surgeon, and they aren’t going to say no, if they think they can sell you an mega dollar thingy majic.

JamesMillar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,675
    Vivienne, post: 265339, member: 58383 wrote:

Nothing to be self conscious about. I would much rather be in business with someone that was honest about their strengths and weaknesses than someone that was a “serial entrepreneur” with their head in the clouds. I’ll also don’t think that corporate experience is an advantage in the small business startup place. As a matter of fact It may be a hinderance because decision making in the corporate environment is very different (abundant resources and safety nets makes things a lot easier).

Well done for being patient and not wanting to start a cafe. You’ve already made / saved $200,000. Best of luck

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805

Hi,

I have a couple small clients from my early days that I still look after.

One of them was a very senior nurse with training qualifications, and she wanted to start a business, so she decided stick with what she knew.

So she creates CPD courses for nurses to gain their CPD points, she also created an app to track points.

So there are a million ideas out there, which, yes can be overwhelming.

Ask ANY questions, we are here to help.

As for training, be specific on what you want to learn:

Business Management, Marketing and Sales etc etc

Sit down with a cuppa or glass of wine (depending of preference) and brainstorm ideas, what do you WANT to do, how much time can you dedicated to it, how much money can you put in to start. All of these will help narrow down some possibilities.

I get a lot of my ideas from scribbling my thoughts on paper over a glass of wine LOL :):)

Cheers
    Mischelle

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,120

[USER=58383]@Vivienne[/USER] ,

I would start with something that will help you define your business (Elevator Pitch), identify and relate to your Ideal Customer and some help with Copy writing so you can appeal to your target market.

Vivienne

Thanks everyone!

It’s so difficult to come up with something when the possibilities are endless and as I mentioned earlier, I don’t come from a business or corporate background.

Initially I thought perhaps a side hustle but to me, that’s just another name for a very small business of sorts.

businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 210
    Vivienne, post: 265411, member: 58383 wrote:
    Initially I thought perhaps a side hustle but to me, that’s just another name for a very small business of sorts.

Sometimes it is better to pursue a side business rather than go all out because of the risk associated with both. It is less risky having a side business whilst you’re working v not working and pursuing a business full time.

It’s something you need to think about but DYOR as usual.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344

[USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] “Sit down with a cuppa or glass of wine (depending of preference)” – I’m sure you mean depending on time of day? ;)

[USER=58383]@Vivienne[/USER] – my 2c for what they might be worth… (and perhaps not much more than actually 2c!) – My ‘background’ before starting my biz, and now running it (I think) reasonably successfully for 8 years starts as a high school drop out! I started in an admin position for a business in the field I now operate in with my biz. From that junior role I realised I enjoyed what I was doing and it motivated me to learn & grow until eventually I was ready to do it on my own.

So, in addition to Dave’s tips – which I think are spot – to help figure out the what you should do – think about your enjoyments too. If you don’t want a business connected to your profession in health care – what are things you enjoy doing? Is there a way to match that to a consumer need?

Don’t be worried about seminars and the like. I’ve been to my fair share and most of the time you can sit there and just take it in without being called on. Look to your local council – most will have ‘small business’ events from time to time that can be an easy and relaxed way to mingle and learn without pressure.

And – noting James’ comments above that you’ve saved 200k already by not jumping into the cafe space – keep in mind he is an accountant and works with financial things so knows numbers better than most of us ;)

As to courses – in terms, generally, of ‘running a business’ (whatever that may eventually be) a lot of TAFE’s run short (and long) courses around business operation, management, financials and similar so you can get a feel for what’s involved in the running of your own business. These courses can be done ahead of figuring out the final idea for the business itself.

I can’t help but think, and may be I’m completely wrong, that some of the ‘business fail’ stories you’ve likely come across in other groups is a lack of planning and knowledge. It’s one thing to have an amazing idea for a business and a very different thing to know what to do with it. Using forums like this, attending seminars and similar gives you knowledge, which as Bert said is never a bad thing! Then, when the brilliant idea hits you’ll have the tools to make that work :)

All the best, and as Mischelle mentioned, ask any questions and there will always be a few of us around to help as best we can.

All the best :)

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    JacquiPryor, post: 265477, member: 20176 wrote:
    [USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] “Sit down with a cuppa or glass of wine (depending of preference)” – I’m sure you mean depending on time of day? ;)

[USER=20176]@JacquiPryor[/USER] You would think so right LOL :) OK, only if it’s late afternoon or evening – I promise…….

bb1
    Participant
    Mischelle, post: 265500, member: 60404 wrote:
    [USER=20176]@JacquiPryor[/USER] You would think so right LOL :) OK, only if it’s late afternoon or evening – I promise…….
    I mostly agree with [USER=20176]@JacquiPryor[/USER] but when she limits the wine to the time of day, no way.
    JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    bb1, post: 265501, member: 53375 wrote:
    I mostly agree with [USER=20176]@JacquiPryor[/USER] but when she limits the wine to the time of day, no way.

Haha – it’s ok if we disagree from time to time Bert!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.