Home – New Forums Starting your journey Construction Company: Beginning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Matt Lewis
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hello There,

I am wanting to start a construction business. I am going to find a job as a tradie and find out as much information about the process of building something as i can. My ideas I have for my business would set me apart from another construction business.

So, what i need from you guys is:

• A “book or site or somewhere”, where i can find legislation re construction businesses
    • A “” where i can get some basic knowledge as to the taxes i would have to pay (be very basic as i have limited understanding of this ‘currently’)
    • maybe if even “” on sales, marketing and operations aswell
    • laws regarding construction business and their operations

If you could all give me these that would be so much appreciated. :D

Kind Regards,

Matt Lewis

themot
    • Total posts: 150
    Up
    Matt Lewis, post: 71805 wrote:
    Hello There,

I am wanting to start a construction business. I am going to find a job as a tradie and find out as much information about the process of building something as i can. My ideas I have for my business would set me apart from another construction business.

So, what i need from you guys is:

• A “book or site or somewhere”, where i can find legislation re construction businesses
    • A “” where i can get some basic knowledge as to the taxes i would have to pay (be very basic as i have limited understanding of this ‘currently’)
    • maybe if even “” on sales, marketing and operations aswell
    • laws regarding construction business and their operations

If you could all give me these that would be so much appreciated. :D

Kind Regards,

Matt Lewis

Are you a qualified builder yet? From what you have written it sounds like you haven’t even started a trade yet?

Matt Lewis
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    themot, post: 71812 wrote:
    Are you a qualified builder yet? From what you have written it sounds like you haven’t even started a trade yet?

Sort of. It’s hard to explain but for the purpose’s of this forum lets say yes.

hmirz
    • Total posts: 69
    Up

Hi Matt,

What State are you basing your construction business in?

Flick me an e-mail if you still need help re legal and tax side of the business.

Cheers,
    Hamid Mirza
    Barrister-at-Law
    http://www.panachelegal.com
    [email protected]

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    Matt Lewis, post: 71817 wrote:
    Sort of. It’s hard to explain but for the purpose’s of this forum lets say yes.

So I’m assuming that you’ll be running the business, with someone else as the registered builder? Family member maybe?

Whether this is the case or not, my suggestion would be spend at least five years working/labouring in the main trades involved (bricklayer, plasterer, electrician, plumber, roof plumber, tiler, grano, carpenter/cabinet maker) and while doing that study part-time for your builder’s license and registration. This is what many tradies (especially bricklayers) do to become a builder.

IMO you need to have a complete understanding of the industry to be a successful builder :)

Wendy

abacus
    • Total posts: 174
    Up

Have a chat to your loacl Master Builders and HIA offices.
    http://www.masterbuilders.com.au/
    http://hia.com.au/

They will help you with everything you need.

This course http://www.masterbuilders.asn.au/zone_files/Training/bmc_eoi_flyer_09_10.pdf is BRILLIANT… I made my tradie hubby do it and it really opened his eyes up to how to run the business side of things, rather than just the “hammer and nail” side of it :)

By the way :) No you don’t have to be a builder to run a construction company (although that is the norm) Some of the largest “builders” out there are little more than marketing comapanies who employ subbies to actually do the building.

Allied
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

We have been registered builders for over 35 years. Being in charge of a construction business/company requires a lot of experience and many skills – which I doubt very much you will be able to master working as a tradie.

A lot of people use the the word “builder” very lightly these days – e.g. carpenters are not builders. After becoming licenced as Carpenters they need to spend years at night school to obtain their builders licence.

Just gaining a builders licence without the correct knowledge and experience can be a recipe for disaster. Plenty of builders and construction businesses go broke!

You can find out more about what is required for running a construction business and what licences and insurance you will need to obtain before you can legally operate is usually available from the state governement offices. e.g. I live in QLD and the QLD Building Services Association is who you approach and apply for your licences here.

I think you should really think this all through and perhaps get some legal advise before you start as we are in an industry were if you get it wrong your clients may be injured and often they will sue you for large amounts if you make a mistake.

We do pre-purchase building inspections and we report on property defects. We see serious defects, safety issues and poor construction every day.
    In our industry if you are doing anything that requires you to be or to have a LICENCED Builder will usually also require that you have years of experience and industry knowledge to succeed.

My advice would be to do some serious homework before you decide to go ahead with your plans.

Spider
    • Total posts: 95
    Up
    Matt Lewis, post: 71805 wrote:
    Hello There,

I am wanting to start a construction business. I am going to find a job as a tradie and find out as much information about the process of building something as i can.

This sounds scarey….

Need much practical experience.
    Does not sound like you have it, considering you want to find a job as a tradie to learn how the building process works.

What are these unique ideas you talk of, which sets you apart from other construction companies?
    What do you actually intend to build, resi, commercial, industrial, highrise, underground tunnels?

YBBroker
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Seriously I hope you’re joking.

If you’re not then I have some advice… Don’t become a builder – we don’t need cowboys like you in the industry giving reputable builders a bad name and ruining other people’s lives with your incompetence.

Most building companies that fail came from trade bases and don’t understand core fundamentals of the business, contract law, the BCA, Builders registration act, AS or processes within a building company. Based on your questions you don’t even know who to ask regarding these issues if you’re asking on this forum.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.