Home – New Forums Starting your journey Constructive Criticism Needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    2yourhome
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Dear All,

I have pretty much completed constructing my website from scratch and would appreciate some constructive criticism. I am getting about 50 hits per day, but I am unsure if they are spam hits or they are real customers.

Could you tell me any of the following please.
    1. first impressions
    2. what would you change if the site was yours?
    3. Would or wouldnt you purchase anything from the site and why or why not
    4. Anything that you feel I need to include or change about the site.

I feel like Im putting my head on the chopping block doing this but I really want this to work for me and well sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

Kind Regards
    Matt
    http://2yourhome.com.au/

fredfarcle
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

First up, regarding your site analytics, you have Google analytics in your site code but I don’t think it has a unique Google code identification, if it did you could get a pretty accurate breakdown of you traffic, what items, pages etc. are getting visits and from where.

First impression, yet another online book store just like a million others. I guess it’s down to whether you stock what people are looking for anyway.

I wouldn’t change too much, I found it easy to navigate but I bet the graphic designers will climb all over you.

I would get a more professional email address ASAP, using Yahoo lacks credibility IMHO.

Would I buy from you, no. Why? well I would not buy from anyone that requires a signup as part of the payment process, also I saw no payment options as far as I went with the checkout.

I think I’m typical, if the payment and delivery process isn’t completely transparent and obvious I’m gone.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Matt,

Happy to provide my non-expert thoughts, purely feedback from a book loving consumer!

1. first impressions

I like that you have book covers on the home page, is almost like a ‘call to action’ for a visitor to scroll down and through; generally like the set out – enough information to see what’s going on without being too packed with text.

The pedantic part of me does notice on first impression that the font is not consistent at the home page. Book titles and pricing is in a different font type to the rest of your fonts it seems. (Not sure that everyone is as fussy about that as I might be though :-) – this may be due to using wordpress?

When you click on the titles by price (from left hand of page) the book cover images are a bit fuzzy… when I click through from top tabs (such as “Top 10 Bestsellers) they are quite crisp and clear.

2. what would you change if the site was yours?

I would have a “Contact Us” and “About Us” tab for visitors to easily see who the business is. From the home page, it seems the only way to contact you is by scrolling down, which I have done purely because I am looking at the site for purposes of this post. Normally if I go to a website the first thing I look for is contact/about us information. Further, I would include your ABN (And make sure you register 2 Your Home as a business/trading name in your state) – Ultimately, I like to know that the entity I am dealing with is a ‘real business’ – things like full contact details/ABN/Ensuring business is registered etc help ensure visitors see you and your site as a ‘trustworthy’ one.

(Sorry – that probably went a bit too far past actual website design!)

3. Would or wouldnt you purchase anything from the site and why or why not

Yes, if I could see further information that confirmed the business was a real trading Australian business. Am a book lover and an online shopping lover so would happily purchase through your site. At the moment, not at all suggesting you would do this, but IF a consumer wasn’t happy (say they placed an order and it didn’t arrive for some reason) – the only information they really have to go off is the name 2 Your Home and a yahoo email address – if for any reason they needed information about ‘who’ is behind the business and it’s not actually registered as a business they really don’t have any way of ‘tracking you down’ in any circumstances that may require it.

4. Anything that you feel I need to include or change about the site.

Think my above comments cover this one too? Also, noticed that your email address is tooyourhome@ and business/web address is 2yourhome – is that something that could be made uniform/consistent? Again, that’s the fussy side of me coming out :-)

Hope the above helps, and please see it is constructive and not negative feedback! Like I said above, not an expert so all just ‘off the top of my head’ thoughts while looking at your site.

PS – will certainly be book marking it for when I am next on book buying spree!

PPS – Just noticed, when you click Australian Crime Fiction tab – the page title is incorrectly spelled so comes up as “Ausralian” (without the T).

All the best,

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

Hi Matt

I agree with bitsa about Google Analytics. It won’t work unless you put in the correct code. Once this is done you will have some accurate information about the source of each visitor.

A couple of general points. Firstly you need to get basic search engine optimisation working in your website and cart. You have installed the All in One SEO plugin, which is good, but it is not properly set up. It is important that the basic meta data i.e. meta title and meta description are unique to each page or book product, and accurately describe the content. Using “ausralian crime fiction online book store | 2 Your Home” will not cut it – apart from the typo! I suggest the book title, without any other text, for the title. In the meta description you can provide more information about the book and the name of your shop.
    Note that the meta title and meta description of the page are used in the search listings compiled by Google and that Google only displays about the first 150 characters of the description.
    Secondly you might look at getting some quick traffic to test out your site using Google Adwords and/or Yahoo Search Marketing. The campaigns and ads would need to be carefully structured so you are not paying much per click. This gets down to specifically marketing each title with its own ad linked directly to the specific product page. You could try a generic “crime fiction” type approach but it might be difficult to keep costs down – you would need to test this. (Yahoo Search Marketing will deliver less traffic, but is considerably cheaper per click for most keywords.)
    Thirdly you need to learn about the online crime fiction community and how you might reach them using social media and blogs. You should become part of this community and resist the temptation to push products until you know what you are doing.

Best of luck, what you have done so far is a very good start.

Tony Pfitzner

http://www.youronlinebusiness.com.au

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Hi Matt,

I commented some on this in your other thread, but glad you made a separate thread asking for more opinions on how you can improve the site.

The main glaring issue is the design/look of the site… I don’t mean to sound too harsh but answer me this? If you were going to buy a book would you feel more comfortable buying from your site or one of the following sites?

http://www.borders.com.au/
    http://www.booktopia.com.au/
    http://www.penguin.com.au/
    http://www.boomerangbooks.com.au/

All have nicely designed sites & I would really think twice about purchasing from them.

Other people have made some good suggestions & I agree about the email address. Some other small things include spelling & grammar mistake such as the misspelling of “Australian” mentioned above…. as well as “Cant find the book your after?” on the home page…. should be “Cant find the book you’re after?“.

Even simple things like that can put people off.

Good luck with the improvements!

Brett

Netboost SEO
    • Total posts: 191
    Up

OKay here we go (most of this will be SEO advice, though):

1. You have a yahoo email, set up a [email protected] it looks much more professional

2. Personally I would scrap the banner with the photos, i don’t feel it ads to your brand at all and takes up valuable space. You should put your featured books there instead. It is an issue that your featured books only appear below the fold. But your banner above your navigation, although a logo would be better 9which I see you have)

3. Your prices seem great, just make sure you have a review or blurb about each book so I know what it is about.

4. In the future you may want a sort by genre feature/droplist… would be handy if I was only interested in say fantasy books…

5. Please fix your onpage SEO, your homepage title should have your most relevant keywords in it, you should have ‘books’ or ‘best selling books’ or ‘discount books’ or ‘order books online’ before your business name. Same thing with your headings etc. Have a read of this quick onpage seo guide

If you need help fixing up your onpage seo let me know and I can show you what to do for best results

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.