Home – New Forums Logistics Contacting Suppliers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jadems
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I am currently working on my business plan for a clothing store. I have contacted suppliers for their prices lists but they want you to fill our their reseller forms with all your store details, which I don’t have yet?

I’m finding it difficult to get any information on wholesale prices to start the financials on my plan. Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi jadems,

That sounds frustrating. We have some very experienced fashion folk around here, so I hope you get some advice on how to handle this soon.

It may help them to know more about the kind of store you’re starting, and whether its online or bricks and mortar.

Good luck with it all, and welcome to Flying Solo. :)

Jayne

jadems
    Up

Thanks for the welcome Jayne.

Sorry I should have been more clear, it is an online clothing store.

Thanks so much.

Robselc
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

I can feel your pain. Im also starting an online business for children related items. i thought wholesalers would welcome me with open arms but they are actually trying to protect their brand and alot of them wont sell to an un-established online business.
    So i changed my game plan, I started contacting unknown designers and crafts people some of them from other countries and offered them exposure on my web page in return for the best price they could give me on their wares. The end goal is really to establish a website with a bit of traffic that I can then show to the wholesalers so they take me seriously. My other suggestion is to sign up for and even pay for a wholesale list of suppliers, there are alot of free ones out there but sometimes the ones you pay for have more legitimate wholesalers on them. Also start looking for wholesalers overseas if you haven’t already.

leena
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

Hi Jadems,

I have had the exact same problem, about to launch ladies sportswear website and the first thing I encountered was resistance from big brands such as Puma, Adidas etc who are adamant on only supporting the brick and mortar stores even though we are behind the rest of the world when it comes to online shopping and the items I want to stock are very hard to find at stores here. So to me that was a dead end and meant I had to rethink my strategy.

I ended up contacting overseas brands based in Canada, USA and Europe who would be new to the Australian market which would be my unique selling point. I was dead serious about getting this business up and running so this time I decided to register a business name (around $30/yr), setup an online store through Bigcommerce ($25/mth) and got a proper email address with my business name. I did this to show them that I was a legitimate retailer, I also found there was no way getting around filling out an account form because they probably don’t want just any member of the public to find out their wholesale pricing.

It also gave me peace of mind ordering goods from established overseas brands as opposed to someone from a drop shipping website as you can’t guarantee quality. Plus you can read reviews from others to get an idea of their following…

I hope this helps, good luck!

Leena

jadems
    Up

Thanks for your help guys, this gives me some stuff to work on!

Thanks again =)

Easy Peasy Mandarin
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Hi Jadems,

I agree, it’s really hard to get realistic prices to analyse whether the whole thing is feasible in the first place, even before you register for a business name etc. We started the initial financial anayses by using lots of assumptions – basically guesstimating what the worst-case scenario whole sale price would have to be for us to make a profit/loss. And for the guesstimate, we sort of worked backward from the retail price. Hope that makes sense!

Then, as Ieena mentioned, as soon as you get an australian abn, domain name, etc, then suppliers are more likely to deal with you. We put all these details at the end of emails, but mentioned that our website was still “in the final stages of construction”. Then at least they know that you are serious about your business!

Good luck with it all!!

Easy Peasy Mandarin

RoverStar
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    jadems, post: 157880 wrote:
    Hi All,

I am currently working on my business plan for a clothing store. I have contacted suppliers for their prices lists but they want you to fill our their reseller forms with all your store details, which I don’t have yet?

I’m finding it difficult to get any information on wholesale prices to start the financials on my plan. Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

I think it’s because there are so many online stores now which are hobby’s that wholesalers are weary.

When I went to a recent trade fair the first question I got asked by almost every wholesale was ‘do you have a bricks and mortar shop’ – my business partner has an online store and when she said she wanted it for her separate online store the wholesalers were completely uninterested.

One told us because there are so many new online stores popping up that just take pictures off their websites (with no bought stock on hand) then claim to sell and THEN order in the stock it’s hurting their brand and the websites (if really shoddy) make there brand look like it’s in a $2 store. It’s hurting their already hurting retail shops. It also dilutes their SEO.

Maybe design a site, try the tiny local makers who would be happy to sell to anyone (i mean that nicely) then once you have a large following then approach a big wholesaler and place big orders.

RoverStar
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

oh and I meant to say – as a general rule wholesale gifts, bags, accessories wholesale pricing is 50% of retail.

e.g $39.95 RRP would wholesale at $17.95 + GST + Freight

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.