Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Content Marketing, Does It Work?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    The Barefoot Marketer
    • Total posts: 61
    Up
    ::

Content marketing is becoming the driving force behind many successful businesses and I want to get your opinion on this powerful business growth strategy.

What Works?

What Doesn’t?

Your Obstacles?

Your Results?

and any general questions you may have.

Thanks,

Jodie McLeod
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Hi Profit Booster,

Content marketing definitely works when done well. We have a bunch of articles on the topic here, or read about these top five content marketing strategies.

Cheers,

Jodie

Richard Brock
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    Profit Booster, post: 155530 wrote:
    Content marketing is becoming the driving force behind many successful businesses and I want to get your opinion on this powerful business growth strategy.

What Works?

What Doesn’t?

Your Obstacles?

Your Results?

and any general questions you may have.

Thanks,

Done correctly it works.

I find blogging works well. At a minimum boosts your Google ranking but provides a great way to generate conversations with your motivated customers. Blogging does take time.

I have started doing a video posts. It takes some time to figure out your style and how it edit your videos. I have faith the benefits will be worth it once I make it through the initial learning period.

The biggest issue is finding the time.

Wordsmith
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

Sure does, especially when it comes to improving SEO.

Just remember, although SEO generates leads, it is the quality of your content that will determine whether browsers become customers or just passersby.

Tracey G
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    Wordsmith, post: 155779 wrote:
    Just remember, although SEO generates leads, it is the quality of your content that will determine whether browsers become customers or just passersby.

Yes, and also the relevance of your content to the people who click through from Google. If they come to your site and immediately find that your content is not what they were looking for, they’ll leave very quickly. You’ll be able to tell if that’s happening by looking at the analytics for your site (get a Google Analytics account if you haven’t already) to see how many visitors are leaving after a few seconds and/or aren’t exploring past the first page they visit.

If you have a very clear idea of who your target customer is, you can tailor your content to what that person is interested in. Then, when they visit, they will find your content relevant to them. Quality + relevance is an unbeatable combination.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Troops,
    Would anyone care to define “content marketing” for us newbies?

In my ignorance, I thought this is what SEs have been trying to do since the very first SE hit the scenes back in the early 90’s.

I have to observe that the definition of “content marketing” seems to have little relevance to target marketing and the process of trying to attract RELEVANT potential customers to a website.

IMHO, this is another useless, irrelevant flavour-of-the-month terminology that will quickly become superseded by its inadequacy of definition.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Barb
    • Total posts: 144
    Up
    Richard Brock, post: 155691 wrote:
    Done correctly it works.

I find blogging works well. At a minimum boosts your Google ranking but provides a great way to generate conversations with your motivated customers. Blogging does take time.

I have started doing a video posts. It takes some time to figure out your style and how it edit your videos. I have faith the benefits will be worth it once I make it through the initial learning period.

The biggest issue is finding the time.

I’ve just set my Blogging/Social Media/Newsletter schedule for the year so that I know what content I’m going to use for each platform. It makes it easier and less time consuming because I know in advance what my topics are.

I would also like to try a video blog, but I haven’t started on this one yet – love any advice you might have!!

Thanks,

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

we have to separate “content or information” and “marketing”. Most courses focus 80% – 95% on content creation and only 5% – 15 % on the marketing and so you end up with people who are prolific, articulate, popular, get great PR but broke.

Success in any form of influential communication comes down to having the right content for the right market with the right media.

Also any form of marketing (including branding) devoid of a lead generation and conversion system is pure gamble and likely a waste of time and money – especially if you don’t have deep pockets like the multi million dollar companies.

Every piece of communication should tangibly and measurably move prospect closer towards a sale. If it doesn’t, you better be making money from ads like a tv or talk show host.

So the top content / information marketers have a solid marketing system in place that’s automated and therefore creates a sustainable business instead of a few bucks here and there, eventually fizzling out like a shooting star.

Richard Brock
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    Barb, post: 155915 wrote:
    I’ve just set my Blogging/Social Media/Newsletter schedule for the year so that I know what content I’m going to use for each platform. It makes it easier and less time consuming because I know in advance what my topics are.

I would also like to try a video blog, but I haven’t started on this one yet – love any advice you might have!!

Thanks,

Hi Barb

For video blogging I am using Camtasia for video blogs using with screen shots. I ave also tested using my iPhone with a tripod designed for iPhones. The key to key is to ensure their is good quality audio.

There was also a good podcast on Small Business Big Market recently that covered off some good points on video blogs.

I had a look at your website and blog. If you are interested you could contribute a guest post to my blog. It is good for Google rankings.

Richard

The Barefoot Marketer
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

Being more Calibe when doing content marketing or any kind of marketing for the fact you have to start and mind.

It’s no good sending email newsletters, writing blogs or creating any kind of valuable content if you haven’t already mapped out exactly how you plan to turn that into a sale.

Say you send a broadcast email to a prospect and they respond, what is your next move how are you going to turn that dialogue into a sale.

By thinking strategically and plotting your course you can create content that seems to naturally progress toward your prospect purchasing you goods or services.

My tip: Don’t create any content unless you have already planned how a perfect customers will firstly, engage with your content, then take necessary steps from there to the point where they hand you money.

Khalid Adam, post: 155957 wrote:
    we have to separate “content or information” and “marketing”. Most courses focus 80% – 95% on content creation and only 5% – 15 % on the marketing and so you end up with people who are prolific, articulate, popular, get great PR but broke.

Success in any form of influential communication comes down to having the right content for the right market with the right media.

Also any form of marketing (including branding) devoid of a lead generation and conversion system is pure gamble and likely a waste of time and money – especially if you don’t have deep pockets like the multi million dollar companies.

Every piece of communication should tangibly and measurably move prospect closer towards a sale. If it doesn’t, you better be making money from ads like a tv or talk show host.

So the top content / information marketers have a solid marketing system in place that’s automated and therefore creates a sustainable business instead of a few bucks here and there, eventually fizzling out like a shooting star.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Hi guys I’ve written a post today that offers my thoughts on how it can work and why in a lot of cases it doesn’t. It’s called Why content marketing doesn’t work and what you can do about it – The ultimate guide to creating content that converts.

I have to agree with Khalid said below (despite having our disagreements in other threads). Too often people are focusing on the creation and not on the marketing. My post addresses this as best as I can (without going into too much detail about sales funnels etc) but the point is you do need to have a sales funnel, you have to be clear on goals, you have to understand your audience and your metrics and from there you can create great content that does a tremendous job at getting people into the funnel.

Live4Fitness
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Barb,

Just read through this post and wanted to back up Richard on his advice of the Small Business Big Marketing Podcast. I believe the episode he’s referring to was with a guy named Jules Watkins. If you shoot over to the Small Business Big Marketing site and click on the products tab, there’s a training package for making videos with iDevices.

I haven’t tried it myself yet, but only for lack of time. Good luck and let me know what you think of the training package if you undertake it!!

Matt.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Live4Fitness, post: 157659 wrote:
    Hi Barb,

Just read through this post and wanted to back up Richard on his advice of the Small Business Big Marketing Podcast. I believe the episode he’s referring to was with a guy named Jules Watkins. If you shoot over to the Small Business Big Marketing site and click on the products tab, there’s a training package for making videos with iDevices.

I haven’t tried it myself yet, but only for lack of time. Good luck and let me know what you think of the training package if you undertake it!!

Hi Matt, hi Barb,

You can access the Small Business Big Marketing podcasts right here on Flying Solo. The one Matt’s referring to is Create iPhone marketing videos.

You might also find this recent article a handy read: How to set up a home office video recording studio.

Cheers,
    Jayne

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.